Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche 914 Tube Chassis Race Car Roller For Sale, time to move on...
byndbad914
post Feb 26 2013, 02:24 AM
Post #1

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

$35K as listed here, $32K if I keep the fuel cell and Penske shocks (will just put solid rods in to keep it mobile for shipping).

Tube chassis built in 06. Super rigid frame that has handled 525HP with no issue – the car is set up for a Small Block Chevy engine with a Mendeola transaxle, but I also have the 930 trans mount that was in it for the initial chassis build that can be welded back in and will include it in the sale. Chassis is serial # stamped legal for SCCA racing. Car could easily be converted to a four or six cylinder since it is tube chassis, just a matter of a few tubes and engine mounts welded in by your local chassis shop. Car is street legal (if you put the headlights back in it to be technical) and I still drive it on the street periodically between track days. Title is clear and in hand ready for transfer. Note I had to remove the wiper assembly to seal that area off as requested by SCCA tech; will include if you want to put back in.

I planned to strip the car completely and reuse everything on my other project but am thinking someone out there may be interested in the complete roller for their own race car project.

Exterior
- Sheridan wide body fiberglass bodywork, fully removable with Dzus fasteners
- GT Racing wing on aluminum aerodynamic aircraft tubing
- Stock doors heavily light-weighted, also have a fully assembled set of 75 doors I will include
- Stock hood heavily light-weighted with the bracing cut out and carbon fiber louvers
- Stock roof stripped down with carbon fiber louvers, have another full roof I will include
- Lexan back window with a brand new spare lexan window to come with it. Needs a new windshield, there is a cracked area where the air chuck dropped on it.
- Headlights and motors have been removed but will be included and could be put back in and wiring is still there to be operational if you wish to do so
- Aluminum front splitter and the chassis is skinned with aluminum sheet front to rear for a flat bottom

Interior
- Ultrashield aluminum racing seats on stock 914 seat mounts
- Stock dash with aluminum panels that I made to hold Autometer Carbon Fiber gauges. Tach, fuel level, water temp. Fuel pressure, oil pressure and oil temp are in an Autometer panel on the dash
- Stock steering column. Horn is a button on the dash. Steering lock was removed to meet SCCA rules.
- Tilton triple pedal assembly with remote bias adjuster and remote reservoirs mounted under the dash are visible from the driver’s seat to verify fluid levels while on the track
- On-board fire system

Suspension/Brakes/Wheels
- Dual A front and rear suspension, all heim jointed and rock solid
- Front suspension has stock 911 spindles to use stock 911 hubs and bearings
- 930 Turbo brakes with Vehicle Craft floating slotted front rotors and turbo rear rotors. 930 rears are converted by Vehicle Craft to mount to the stock 914 mounting as I ran these with trailing arms early in the design. Brakes are awesome and have near new Hawk brake pads on the front and the rears only have a two track days now
- Penske double-adjustable shocks are only a couple years old, set up and dyno’d by Penske
- CCW 16x10.5 front 11.5 rear wheels with GT2 tires. Currently have Goodyear 23.5x11.5 fronts and 25x12 rears that are pretty new, just bought them last summer, only a couple track days on them. Hoosier makes GT2 tires as well in these sizes and I have run them in the past. Thought I would try the GYs for the first time last year and they were fine but the Hos are just as good IMO, lap times were the same. Also have a set of Kodiak wheels as well I will include, I swapped the barrels around so the fronts will work now with more backspace, the other two will need new barrels for more backspace for the rear.

Wiring/Fuel System/Misc
- Converted the stock 914 wiring to use a Painless fuse box with all of the positive leads fused. Stock Porsches use a grounded negative concept and that is why a short burns the car down. If anything shorts now, it simply blows the fuse, instead of burn the wiring and the car like a stock setup. Modern fuses as well.
- ATL fuel cell with additional internal baffle kit to keep fuel at pickup at all times for no starvation. Will leave the plumbing in place tank to engine compartment and return lines – these are rated for really high pressure so you could even use a fuel injection setup with these lines. Fuel regulator will come out of the car as it is specifically matched to my racing fuel pump on the engine. Of course any aftermarket regulator can be used.
- I have an AIR fiberglass rear bumper and the Sheridan rear valance piece that will also come with the car. The bumper will still bolt on to the rear ( I have it off for additional airflow out of the rear) and the valance would be an easy add, I never used it.
- Trans pump
- I was going to reuse the custom floating rear axles but I will leave them with the car as they should work with a 930 as well. I will include 4 additional Carrera turbo axles that I have in case those work better for your setup.
- Have an extra lower A arm as a spare and some precut metal pieces that will come with the car
- Tons of original parts from the car will come with it as well. Not going to spell it all out, but there are additional stock decklids I will do my best to include (if you have the car shipped they may not be able to ship with it as they won’t fit inside the interior compartment. Might be able to wedge them into the engine compartment but I make no promises there).
- Will leave the headers and mufflers with the car should you plan to use a Chevy again.

The chassis build was documented on my website New Page 1 and there are plenty of track vids on Youtube on my channel byndbad914

Note, since that initial build the struts and 5-link rear were replaced with the dual A setup. If you wanted to, it would be easy to convert the car back to a strut front end and there is plenty of room in the rear to go back to any suspension design including trailing arms should your race class require it. The upper section in the rear is really wide so I believe it could easily have a 4 or 6 cyl Porsche engine installed as well; else a SBC bolts right in with an inverted 930.

The engine, trans and shifter, dry sump oil system and coolers, radiator and water pump, ignition and fuel regulator will come out of the car.

I have had the car for almost 20 years now and it was just time to move on and build another car I have always wanted to and will reuse the drivetrain from this car in it. This car was fast and fun to drive and was a long, fun journey. I’ve turned a 1:54.9 lap time at High Plains Raceway and the car will run consistent 1:55s even in 50-degree cold weather, which is 2 seconds faster than the Super Production record at that track (held by another 914 V8 with 650+ HP) – the car handles incredibly well and I know on a good, upper 60s, lower 70s temp day with some more fine tuning the car would be in the 53s but as I said, it was time for me to move onto a new project and let someone take this ball and run with it.

the photos here were right after I updated the suspension to dual A, I can get updated photos upon serious inquiry (looks essentially the same but with the front splitter, it wasn't on in these photos). Check the youtube vids to get the best look at the car, specifically the vid with Dylan.
Attached ImageAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
AlRuff
post Feb 26 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #2

I'm new here ...

Member No.: 772

Am interested, call me Alan 303-422-9142
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 2 2013, 08:50 PM
Post #3

Decided to start gutting the car today to keep my other project moving, and it was 60deg and that is a day you have to take advantage of in CO in March.

I will sell the "scraper" which basically means if it unbolts, I am keeping it. To be clearer, it is the bare chassis with all of the Sheridan bodywork attached, and I will include the alum skin on the bottom of the frame and the wing. I will include the steering column too as if this happens early enough before I have all of the suspension off; I will just roll it in the trailer and then remove the susp at your place for ease of loading/unloading.

$13K delivered by me my my enclosed trailer within 1000 miles of Denver CO.
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Mar 4 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #4

almost forgot, click on the link in my sig to go to my website and you can click on the build thread to see how the chassis went together.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 06:11 PM