Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyl 1-2 head running hotter, why? SOLVED!, 1,7 D-jet with NOS heads
914_teener
post Mar 6 2013, 07:29 PM
Post #21

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(larss @ Mar 6 2013, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Mar 6 2013, 07:42 PM) *

I would think there would be problems with setting it so low as 700, that it would cause a "flat spot" off idle if it doesn't start advancing right away.

Yes, thats true, I have experienced a significant flat spot from take off when having it at 700rpm.

/Lars S

Have you really checked everything?

Have you checked your distributor cans and mechancial advance plates.

This is Djet........You shouldn't have a flat spot with everything set and working corredtly.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Mar 6 2013, 07:55 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 6 2013, 05:29 PM) *

QUOTE(larss @ Mar 6 2013, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Mar 6 2013, 07:42 PM) *

I would think there would be problems with setting it so low as 700, that it would cause a "flat spot" off idle if it doesn't start advancing right away.

Yes, thats true, I have experienced a significant flat spot from take off when having it at 700rpm.

/Lars S

This is Djet........You shouldn't have a flat spot with everything set and working corredtly.

My comment is based on my experience with different mechanical advance curves and settings only, like how an 050 feels compared to a 009 compared to a properly set mallory with carbs.

My experience with low idle is that it takes longer to get to the rpm to release the clutch. My 050 felt so slow on account of that. Could be I'm thinking about it wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) It does get delicate, the slower it turns, has to run smoother to do it. It's certainly hard with carbs to get a good balance.

Interesting, about the difference in distance from the fan outlets being the cause. With the outlets being different size already accounting for the extra needed for the cooler and the duct being larger, it might be thought of like a McDonald's straw, more all or nothing. It has always seemed to me the system works well within certain prescribed parameters, picturing the intersection of graph lines to be even when it is needed, so the less-than-normal idle speed seems it could be reason enough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
larss
post Mar 6 2013, 11:26 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 10,787
Region Association: Scandinavia

QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 7 2013, 02:29 AM) *

I can never say everything is checked working 100% but I have gone through the distributor OK. If I set the full advance to more than the std 27 (say 30) I can get rid of most of it. Also setting the idle higher makes it better.

QUOTE(914_teener @ Mar 7 2013, 02:29 AM) *

Having the idle at 700 is not set correctly to factory spec...

/Lars S
+Quote Post
914itis
post Mar 6 2013, 11:30 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

Deleted , got it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 09:13 PM