Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Throttle linkage wobble, Worn bushings?
Rough_Rider
post Nov 17 2004, 02:54 PM
Post #1

Smurf Zone

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,547

Do you ever get stuck into somehitng something & wish you hadn't ??

Was fiddling with pedal board, lead to switching to an alluminium one, lead to throlle cable adjustment, lead to this..... The flat metal piece highlighted below doesn't just move fore & aft I can wiggle it left & right. Should their be any side to side play, I'm presuming NO.

Time to switch bushings??

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Nov 17 2004, 03:28 PM
Post #2

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

All of the nylon bushings in the entire pedal assembly are prone to wear. There are replacement metal bushings available to solve that problem.
+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 17 2004, 03:31 PM
Post #3

914 Historian

Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

A remote possibility is broken welds. A full set of new bushings is a very good idea while you are in there.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 17 2004, 03:48 PM
Post #4

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(davep @ Nov 17 2004, 01:31 PM)
A remote possibility is broken welds. A full set of new bushings is a very good idea while you are in there.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I still have to replace the bushings in mine. My brake pedal sticks just a little. I have looked and seen the nylon bushings. So I know it has to be done. It isn't hard, just time to clean everything up etc. give yourself a couple of days for the job. Pull everything out, clean, paint. Assemble the next day. Breaks up the job nicely. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 17 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #5

914 Historian

Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

BTW, I had brass bushings in one car almost 20 years ago. I found they tended to wobble on their own. Since then I usually go for the original plastic parts. They may have improved the metal bushings since then. The metal ones are not affected by brake fluid directly, although given enough time for brake fluid to cause rust in the assembly there is little difference in the outcome. The roll pin is the most tricky part of the procedure, but I managed to do it, so almost anyone can. New throttle pedals are pretty stiff and don't flop around. Worn out pedals will flop sideways, and provide almost no return spring action of their own. I usually buy a new pedal when replacing the bushings. Just be sure not to wrap the throttle and clutch cables around each other, that can cause no end of problems.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Nov 17 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #6

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

...And don't use the roll pin that comes in the Weltmeister bushing kit. Chances are that it will fail within a few months, and you'll have no clutch.

--DD
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Nov 19 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #7

robots!

Member No.: 3,020

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 17 2004, 05:08 PM)
...And don't use the roll pin that comes in the Weltmeister bushing kit.  Chances are that it will fail within a few months, and you'll have no clutch.

--DD

it's probably better than the one i had in my car. it almost crumbled into pieces when i took it out. no wonder my car didnt want to go into first gear... <_< i guess i'll find out how long the weltmeister roll pin lasts, cause it's already in along with the metal bushings.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 19 2004, 01:11 AM
Post #8

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

I have had 4-6 different throttle pivots break the welds over a 17 year period. It does happen.

Root_,

You make the pedal assemblies sound like they are easy.. <_< We do about 4 a month and 1 out of 4 will not come apart (cannot get the roll pin out) We end up cutting the clutch pedal off the assembly and replacing it with another good one.

B
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 19 2004, 07:46 AM
Post #9

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

And don't forget to put new springs!

They aren't cheap (the brake & clutch pedal springs) but you don't wan't to re-do the whole thing six months from now because the clutch spring went toes up.

ALA
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 09:27 PM