Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Got air, fuel, spark... no start? Fixed
sfrenck
post Mar 16 2013, 02:38 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,411
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Black22 @ Mar 16 2013, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Mar 16 2013, 09:40 AM) *

Fired up and died with starter fluid down the TB.

I'd bet a substantial amount of money your supply and return fuel lines are mixed up. This will put fuel through the lines, but won't run the engine. If it starts with starter fluid, that means its not getting the fuel it needs.

And yes, I read all the posts saying you have fuel and fuel pressure. Fuel IS your problem.

I have crossed the ones before and my car had the exact same problem. From the pump(underneath the car) and the fuel rails(topside), it is easy to swap things around.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) also. Funny thing is when I put the engine back in a couple months ago, I wasn't getting fuel pressure on the gauge until I crossed the fuel lines then (which I swore I had hooked up correctly). Not quite sure how I'm getting fuel pressure, but swapping the hoses is another easy thing to try.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Mar 29 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #22

Anyone who guessed wire from the trigger points came loose inside the plug is the winner.

She's alive - and now I get to start troubleshooting all the normal 914 stuff like high idle. Drove it up and down the block, though - easy to start in 2nd gear when it wants to idle at 2200 rpm!
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Mar 29 2013, 03:30 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Mar 29 2013, 04:55 PM) *

Anyone who guessed wire from the trigger points came loose inside the plug is the winner.

She's alive - and now I get to start troubleshooting all the normal 914 stuff like high idle. Drove it up and down the block, though - easy to start in 2nd gear when it wants to idle at 2200 rpm!

High idle equal vacuum leak somewhere! Good luck, you will find it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
type47
post Mar 30 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #24

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Mar 29 2013, 12:55 PM) *

... wire from the trigger points came loose inside the plug ...

? explain "inside the plug" a little. Do you mean a wire within the trigger points assembly? I thought the trigger points as an assembly just was inserted into the dizzy and held in with a cheesehead screw or 2....
+Quote Post
Rand
post Mar 30 2013, 12:49 PM
Post #25

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573
Region Association: None

If the problem was a trigger points connection, how did it try to fire with starting fluid? Strange. Glad it's running though.

For sure, idle that high is a significant vacuum leak somewhere between where the phenolic blocks meet the head and the butterfly in the throttle body. Follow the air path....
A number of vacuum taps below the butterfly, possible crack in plenum, bad seals around intake runners at plenum, leak at phenolic blocks where runners bold to head, bad injector seals, etc. But an idle that high is most likely a large hole such as a disconnected AAR hose or other vacuum tap around the plenum.
+Quote Post
type47
post Mar 30 2013, 02:35 PM
Post #26

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 30 2013, 10:49 AM) *

If the problem was a trigger points connection, how did it try to fire with starting fluid? ...

I would think that without the trigger points "firing" the injectors, the only way it would fire up is with fuel down the phlenum... you would have ignition, just no fuel ...
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Mar 30 2013, 04:09 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 30 2013, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Mar 29 2013, 12:55 PM) *

... wire from the trigger points came loose inside the plug ...

? explain "inside the plug" a little. Do you mean a wire within the trigger points assembly? I thought the trigger points as an assembly just was inserted into the dizzy and held in with a cheesehead screw or 2....

I had rebuild my FI harness using parts from AA. The 3-wire FI plug that connects to the dizzy @ the trigger points was the problem. The wires in this plug weren't soldered to the crimp connectors, so the wire came out of the plug. Since the plug itself was fully seated, covered with a rubber boot, and I had already tested the injectors in jars about a month ago I didn't think that the injectors were the problem.
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Mar 30 2013, 04:10 PM
Post #28

QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 30 2013, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 30 2013, 10:49 AM) *

If the problem was a trigger points connection, how did it try to fire with starting fluid? ...

I would think that without the trigger points "firing" the injectors, the only way it would fire up is with fuel down the phlenum... you would have ignition, just no fuel ...

That's what was happening - starter fluid was the Fuel part of the Fuel + Air + Spark equation.
+Quote Post
442nd914s
post Mar 30 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 14,718
Region Association: None

I also had high idle on my 2.0FI after reinstalling it. After hours of tripple checking hoses, it turn out to be the throttle body cable (from gas pedal). Apprently I had pulled it enough that a unnoticeable small gap in the tb was allowing air in. I simply disconnected the cable and let it idle by its self, adjusted the idle (ofcourse after timing) , then reconnected cable. Ops check good!
Now if I can get my brakes to work, I can take her out for a spin since her 20 yr slumber.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 06:07 AM