Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starters, Starter comparison
dfrank
post Mar 10 2013, 10:25 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,295
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Any comments on these two starters? Thanks for your help!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-911-MINI-S...fe2&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Torque-Starte...B:WNARL:US:1123
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 10 2013, 11:04 AM
Post #2

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

You don't need high torque unless you have a BIG high compression motor.
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Mar 10 2013, 11:52 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Mar 10 2013, 10:04 AM) *

You don't need high torque unless you have a BIG high compression motor.

he could just be trying to save weight, or spend less on a new starter.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
toadman
post Mar 10 2013, 12:49 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,316

I think the mini-starter, at about $120 shipped, is a great value. I have had mine for over 5 years with no problems. My car is a nearly stock 1976 model with fuel injection. It is driven mostly in fair weather from April to December. I do 5 or 6 autocrosses and an occasional driver's ed event each season.
+Quote Post
914Sixer
post Mar 10 2013, 01:36 PM
Post #5

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

There has been many discussions about this. In some cases the high torque starters do not fit properly and have been known to eat flywheel ring gears.
+Quote Post
dfrank
post Mar 10 2013, 03:58 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,295
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the middle of taking apart my 74 and gathering parts at the same time. Last time it was driven, was in '98. I remember all the troubles during hot weather with the starters, frequently crawling under the car in a pinch and jumping it (relay??) with a long screw driver to get back home. Not really looking for torque or a cheap price, just something reliable, updated, new etc. light weight is appealing though. I'm sure there are other places to look for more starter reliability like good grounding, etc.
I am very thankful for all the expertise on 914 World!! You guys rock! If I new about this site years ago, I'd probably own more than one teener. I am very motivated again after all these years to make this baby better than new. Doing the total restore is expensive but will be well worth it, especially since I bought the car the year my son was born in 86. It's actually in my will that he gets it when I move on..
Thanks, again!! Dug
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Mar 10 2013, 08:34 PM
Post #7

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

QUOTE(dfrank @ Mar 10 2013, 05:58 PM) *

Thanks for the replies. I'm in the middle of taking apart my 74 and gathering parts at the same time. Last time it was driven, was in '98. I remember all the troubles during hot weather with the starters, frequently crawling under the car in a pinch and jumping it (relay??) with a long screw driver to get back home. Not really looking for torque or a cheap price, just something reliable, updated, new etc. light weight is appealing though. I'm sure there are other places to look for more starter reliability like good grounding, etc.
I am very thankful for all the expertise on 914 World!! You guys rock! If I new about this site years ago, I'd probably own more than one teener. I am very motivated again after all these years to make this baby better than new. Doing the total restore is expensive but will be well worth it, especially since I bought the car the year my son was born in 86. It's actually in my will that he gets it when I move on..
Thanks, again!! Dug

In my opinion its all about clean connections and wiring and not so much about the starter itself.

BTW, Its nice you see another 914er in the area. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) If you need any parts or help or anything, just give a shout. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
bluhun
post Mar 10 2013, 11:17 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,464
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Mar 10 2013, 11:36 AM) *

There has been may discussions about this. In some cases the high torque starters do not fit properly and have been known to eat flywheel ring gears.

This is exactly what happened to me this past week. I purchased the starter listed in the second link from Pelican, had it installed, and the pinion gear immediately began clashing with the ring gear of the flywheel. When the high-torque starter was removed and the flywheel inspected, you could clearly see on the flywheel where the gears had clashed. There was also evidence of damage to the pinion gear. Additionally, it was noted that the teeth of the pinion gear of the starter were pointed, as opposed to being cut flat and at an angle.
+Quote Post
Jmedeiros
post Mar 10 2013, 11:25 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 15,138
Region Association: Northern California

I replaced the starter on my '72 with one from O'Reilly Auto Parts & once I got the 'right' starter, it bolted right up and works perfect. It was under $50.
+Quote Post
Tedman5
post Mar 11 2013, 07:43 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 8,627
Region Association: North East States

I have the hi torque mini and it works great for starting my fresh built 2056/9:1 compression. The stock was slow and weak, but the swap made a noticeable difference for faster cold starts.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 03:53 PM