Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So...are we starting to see the 914 prices rise?, Or is this another one of of those, "Not this sh!t, again" threads?
billh1963
post Mar 19 2013, 01:43 PM
Post #1

Car Hoarder!

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

While I realize that price increases for any sports car is seasonal, are we seeing a long awaited bump?

Looking at the recent selling prices of cars, it looks like the prices for nice solid cars are rising. Not only are the super nice, show quality cars gaining ground, the nice solid cars appear to be gaining ground as well. In addition, the number of solid cars available for sale seems to be unusually low lately.

Obviously, seasonal impact, early Porsche, and 914/6 prices are having an affect...I just wonder if 914 prices will hold or even gain ground?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Mar 19 2013, 02:46 PM
Post #2

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yes I've noticed the prices for these cars are rising.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Mar 19 2013, 02:59 PM
Post #3

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

....And I've noticed a rise in the real 6's(prices) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
struckn
post Mar 19 2013, 05:54 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,764
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Maybe the Tuner Crowd is aging and they have the money. I've notice a lot of these guys love the potential the 914 offers, actually get the thumbs up and a wave from them when I go by? Has the look and sound, plus vintage appeal and it's an affordable Porsche. Put a Subie and flares on a 914 and it's the ultimate Tuner.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Mar 19 2013, 06:08 PM
Post #5

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Prices have been on the rise for some time. Its nice to see for those of us that have these cars.

On the other hand, as these cars get valuable, you have to actually think before cutting into a nice one to add a radiator or other non-OEM type motor. It was kinda nice to be able to get a decent car on short money and not feel bad about turning it into something else.

At this point, I am glad that all the changes I made to my car are totally easy to reverse.

Zach

+Quote Post
JamesM
post Mar 19 2013, 06:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Not sure this is limited to the 914 market, thinking it may be somehow tied to the economy rebounding a bit. I have been looking for a Westfalia vanagon and over the last year have seen some crazy things happening with the prices. Whereas I missed out on a few decent runners in the 1-2k range a couple years ago, more recently it seems like everyone is asking 10k for their broken (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) prices just seem all over the board at the moment, not sure what is actually selling though. Very few 914s around here for sale recently as well where as during the low point of the recession there were a ton offered up.

I think things might stabilize a bit when people start to realize their (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) is not made of gold

Guessing prices for a 6 wont be going down ever though.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 19 2013, 07:04 PM
Post #7

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I spent nearly a hour writing one of my diatribes about this issue. Read it, and realized that I was being too one-sided.

Yep, they are rising. The best, like Tod914's 2.0, and Steve's one-off, and pristine LE's will control the world of pricing for fours. Why? Because they are vintage and original.

The "real" sixes, in their small numbers, have gone viral in pricing but will drag the good fours upward also.

Tuner cars are individuals. The driver makes it what's important to him/her. But, if you are a speculator (and they control the markets for cars) you'll be looking for a 914 four that has the originality factor, or the WOW factor to make it flippable. Most of these guys are expecting to make a profit. Some are collectors.

MY opinion is that tuner 914's , while they have a niche, will never realize the potential that a stock vehicle will. Look at what Tod did! My God, he raised the bar so high! Because it was nearly bone stock and a premier concours car.

Here are the facts. Bone stock/mildly customized will bring the best seller values. No different that any other vintage cars. Its what vintage flippers want. And they'll continue to get it. Theey control the market.

However......your 914 is your 914. Do with it which makes you happy.

I once saw a 914 converted into a mud bogger, with a huge Chevy V8 in Louisiana. Body must have been 8 feet above the chassis. I liked it, though it was a cobbled up POS and broke. But it was that guys platform. I've seen worse too, but it was the drivers' perspective.

I'll always be a "weenie" because that's where I've been for 42 years. But, I've grown to respect others approaches. It's your car.

See what ageing can do to you?

Eric - starting to like the rear fog.
Pat

ps - think this was long, you should have read the first itteration

+Quote Post
struckn
post Mar 19 2013, 08:23 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 13,764

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 19 2013, 05:04 PM) *

I spent nearly a hour writing one of my diatribes about this issue. Read it, and realized that I was being too one-sided.

Yep, they are rising. The best, like Tod914's 2.0, and Steve's one-off, and pristine LE's will control the world of pricing for fours. Why? Because they are vintage and original.

The "real" sixes, in their small numbers, have gone viral in pricing but will drag the good fours upward also.

Tuner cars are individuals. The driver makes it what's important to him/her. But, if you are a speculator (and they control the markets for cars) you'll be looking for a 914 four that has the originality factor, or the WOW factor to make it flippable. Most of these guys are expecting to make a profit. Some are collectors.

MY opinion is that tuner 914's , while they have a niche, will never realize the potential that a stock vehicle will. Look at what Tod did! My God, he raised the bar so high! Because it was nearly bone stock and a premier concours car.

Here are the facts. Bone stock/mildly customized will bring the best seller values. No different that any other vintage cars. Its what vintage flippers want. And they'll continue to get it. Theey control the market.

However......your 914 is your 914. Do with it which makes you happy.

I once saw a 914 converted into a mud bogger, with a huge Chevy V8 in Louisiana. Body must have been 8 feet above the chassis. I liked it, though it was a cobbled up POS and broke. But it was that guys platform. I've seen worse too, but it was the drivers' perspective.

I'll always be a "weenie" because that's where I've been for 42 years. But, I've grown to respect others approaches. It's your car.

See what ageing can do to you?

Eric - starting to like the rear fog.
Pat

ps - think this was long, you should have read the first itteration

Truth in what you say Pat, but you're looking at it from a Collector and Porsche owners perspective. The Tuner crowd see's the 914's from an exotic speedster prospective and their interest in 914's increases the demand for a small and limited supply, which could have an impact on increasing the market value of a non stock or unrestored 914. I too am one who preferrs stock, but can appriciate a conversion if done right. Oh... and for the record I'm 21.......years older then you, so welcome to the beginning of the over the hill gang.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 19 2013, 08:36 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

I can appreciate both and I know that molested cars, /4s or /6s will never reach the collectibility or prices of a nice original. Since my car was so far gone when I got it, I never thought twice about modifying it. It will never be worth restoring the right way - would cost more than it's worth. I think cars like that are perfect candidates to let people's imaginations run wild. And even they will go up in price as interest increases (again, never like an original car will, but they benefit from guys like you who keep yours that way).

I just dig the fact that everyone is realizing what a great, albeit quirky car the 914 was/is. We should all be proud that people are getting interested in them. I just hope I can score a couple more before they get really expensive! But I should probably pay for the wedding first... and all the other important things (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Mar 19 2013, 08:52 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,469
Region Association: None

On a related note, has anyone noticed an increase in the asking prices of junky used 914 parts on Ebay? I was perusing used 914 parts on Ebay the other night and just shaking my head at what people are asking on starting bids or buy-it-now auctions. It's like sellers think these are real Porsches or something...
+Quote Post
RickS
post Mar 19 2013, 10:08 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 5,880

When I bought my 71, it was prebasturdized with a 2 liter four with fake Fuchs. I decided to take it to what I wanted and added a 3.0, side shift, 5 lugs set up and big brakes. Lots of other details were ultimately improved. I was offered 30K for it after it was 90% done. Being compulsive and it still needed the oil cooler and a few other things I didn't sell. I was rather surprised that the money was offered so easily for a car who looks rather stock but is pretty heavily modified.

The car will never pull the dollars of an original 6 but as a resto-mod it will still fetch enough to pay for itself. This goes to show that there are people out there looking for nice 914s and willing to pay good coin for the right car.
+Quote Post
watsonrx13
post Mar 20 2013, 05:25 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 312

I agree that the pristine 4 will always command a high price, but I think the 914 will go the way of the Ford Model T. The 914 is a great platform for high performance upgrades and there will be a market for a well done 914, just like the hot rod Model T.

--- Rob
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 20 2013, 05:33 AM
Post #13

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(MrKona @ Mar 19 2013, 10:52 PM) *

On a related note, has anyone noticed an increase in the asking prices of junky used 914 parts on Ebay? I was perusing used 914 parts on Ebay the other night and just shaking my head at what people are asking on starting bids or buy-it-now auctions. It's like sellers think these are real Porsches or something...

Yes. Ebay, craigslist, thesamba. Cars and parts have gone up.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 20 2013, 12:31 PM
Post #14

Car Hoarder!

The interesting question is are we at the beginning of a price run or just seeing enough stability that prices are simply stabilizing (until another economic pop)?

I'm thinking about selling one or two of my 914's (with four nice 914's plus two TR6's I really can't enjoy each as much as I would like). So, if I do sell; do I think about selling now or hold out and see if prices rise through the summer? decisions...decisions..
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Mar 20 2013, 01:29 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 9,880

Bill, price just went up! haha
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 20 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #16

Car Hoarder!

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Mar 20 2013, 03:29 PM) *

Bill, price just went up! haha

LOL... project cars are getting cheaper! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Mar 20 2013, 02:17 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,880

DAMN! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Mar 20 2013, 02:19 PM
Post #18

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

I think the rise prices has several components

1) There are a limited number of 914s still alive.
2) Awareness of the cool factor of a vintage 914 at relatively low initial cost
3) People are jumping on the 914s left. supply vs. demand.
4) Improving economy.
5) General awareness of collectable value of old things. How many of us had GI Joes, electric race car sets, baseball cards, Lionel trains that were sold, given away, thrown away, or sold in a yard sale for $1? Folks nowadays understand that old stuff may equal big bucks. People would be reluctant to give away poor old Uncle Bob's little car for a song.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Mar 21 2013, 07:20 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 11,782

Since porsche bought vw recently, it kind of minimizes the "is it a real porsche?" issue. With boxters being made at Karmen now, it's another reason to say yes it is a real porsche.

As far as ebay prices go, it's all about who will pay for it. George has had an agenda to inflate the price of these cars since I've been into it. People see these ads and figure their (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) must be worth that.

These could be yours for only $47, used rear soft brake lines. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) They don't even match!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-2-used-rear...058&vxp=mtr
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Mar 21 2013, 07:34 AM
Post #20

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Mar 21 2013, 09:20 AM) *

Since porsche bought vw recently, it kind of minimizes the "is it a real porsche?" issue. With boxters being made at Karmen now, it's another reason to say yes it is a real porsche.

As far as ebay prices go, it's all about who will pay for it. George has had an agenda to inflate the price of these cars since I've been into it. People see these ads and figure their (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) must be worth that.

These could be yours for only $47, used rear soft brake lines. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) They don't even match!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-2-used-rear...058&vxp=mtr

Yikes!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 01:14 PM