Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering U-Joints
aylanco
post Nov 18 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,371

Hi All,

My new-to-me '73 2.0 is in need of the Turbo tie rods for sure, but I am a little suspect about the steering u-joints under the dash. They seem tight when I grab or wiggle them, but if I turn the wheel I can feel (and hear) them undulate. They just feel a bit sloppy when turning the wheel.

I have seen almost nothing discussed about them, have not seen anything in books/manuals other than identifying them, and have not seen them offered in parts catalogs. I know the Rodders use them and they are available that way BUT....does anyone have any insight on the maintenance and or replacement of these? I know I should do the tie rods first but is this u-joint problem a common occurence?

BTW, this 914 is too cool. I have hardly driven my other cars since I got this!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeff Bonanno
post Nov 18 2004, 09:25 PM
Post #2

il dottore

Member No.: 636

you sure it's the u-joints, Seb? they don't see much stress or weather. could be several other front end suspension components before these joints.

jbb
+Quote Post
aylanco
post Nov 18 2004, 09:30 PM
Post #3

Hi Jeff,

I don't count anything out right now, Jeff!! Although I do highly suspect the u-joints. They make a slight rumbling noise and undulate when the wheel is turned back and forth, and the steering is a bit sloppy. I hope the tie rods solve it all, but who knows??!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Any other thoughts out there?
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Nov 18 2004, 09:37 PM
Post #4

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

bushings in steering column go quite often ( after 30 years) also the steering rack
+Quote Post
KenH
post Nov 18 2004, 09:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 156

Jack the car up so the front wheels are not on the ground. Then see if the steering still feels bad.

Also the U-joints are not linear and the 2 must be alingned propelry or the steer wheel will feel like it is going "over center" - not rotating smoothly.

Look under the dash you should not see any slopp in the joints as the steering wheel is moved back & forth.

Just some thougths

Ken
+Quote Post
aylanco
post Nov 18 2004, 09:43 PM
Post #6

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the advice on that....I definately see slop when the wheel is turned back and forth.
+Quote Post
aylanco
post Nov 18 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #7

As I said before, my first move will be turbo tie rods (as well as checking out the rest of the front end) but if the
u-joints don't check out OK then is there a proper procedure for replacement? Is there a good source for them or should I do the Rodder thing and get the nifty stainless units I see in the catalogs?!? BTW they are not cheap from those sources...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 11:33 PM