Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What would you get?, Used car in the $4000-$6000 Range
Randal
post Nov 19 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

old $1200 maxima

I agree!

I leased a 1997 and it was a great car. Nothing ever when wrong.

Also if you find one I have the K&N intake and muffler that I bought from Stillen. Really makes a huge difference in performance.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MattR
post Nov 19 2004, 12:45 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589
Region Association: Northern California

Im kinda in the same position as you. I have a 914 thats still a project, and I could really use a daily driver, but Im broke (see above) and a student. I just use public transportation. Honestly, I really thought about how I would use a car, and while it would be nice to go to the market and stuff, I really dont use it that often. There's a shuttle to get me to class, or you can take a bike. I think its important to really think about how you're going to use a car at school and if its even necessary.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Nov 19 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #23

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Had a '95 Jetta GL 2.0 for over 7 years and the only problem I ever had was the timing belt. Other than that, it ran really well and got 30-32 mpg and had good power. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric Taylor
post Nov 19 2004, 01:17 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 770

Hey thanks guys they all sound good. looks like the Jetta idea wins over most, The subby is some what appealing, but I'm going to the University of Oregon, and while the weather might be shitty it's not going to snow so much that I would need the AWD.

MattR: To be honest your right about the need for a car at school, except in my case, I have a girlfriend who lives an hr and a half away (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) , so If I could get someting with good milage it would be much cheaper than the bus.
Thanks!
Eric
+Quote Post
type11969
post Nov 19 2004, 01:30 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,410
Region Association: North East States

if youc an find one, get a diesel. boy howdy, talk about mileage. And if it is a tdi, performace isn't too shabby either. Might be pushing you budget though.

-Chris
+Quote Post
cha914
post Nov 19 2004, 02:06 PM
Post #26

MUSR 8 - 5lug conversion done wed - drive 500miles thrus

Member No.: 63

Sounds like you are ready to get the VW, which sound like good cars...I went with the other german maker BMW...got me a 90 325is...two door, sport seats, limited slip, 2.5 6L, 5speed...bought it with 119K, slapped a timing belt/water pump in it, did a little bit of suspension upkeep, and have just been putting oil and gas in it...good power, handles well, best cruze control I have ever driven, decent stero, gets 25mpg on the highway going 80-90, so not the best gas milage, but not terrible.

I paid 4k for mine but I got the is which everyone wants, you can get a good 325i for 2-3 easy, or if you want better milage you can get a 325e (not as peppy but gets 30mpg and has more torque) and those can be had for 2k all day...

if you look at them defin get a manual, the auto boxes tend to die around 150k or sooner and will cost more than the car is worth to fix...the manuals will last forever, and the engines have been known to go to 300K without issue if you keep good oil in them.

The main thing it to buy a car that has maintance records...good luck...

Tony
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 03:13 AM