Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Door won't open, outside handle won't open door
basenji7
post Nov 19 2004, 09:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,953

Out of the blue I can not open the drivers side door from the outside. the inside latch works fine.

What I've done:

I pulled the inside panel off and removed the outside latch. This is working properly with no signs of wear. What I have noticed is that with the latch attached and the door open I can simulate the door being closed and the outside latch will work properly. The door latch cam pushes the relase and I can move the door catch from the 12 O'clock position to the 3 O'clock position. So I closed the door and from the inside with my hand i pushed on the release that the door latch cam would normally push to release the door. This took a lot of pressure and the door actually pops open. when I used the inside door latch, the door unlocks and opens smoothly.

Any ideas on what is going on here.

'74 914 2.0L

Thanks........darryl
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty914
post Nov 19 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #2

suby torque rules

Member No.: 924

needs grease and lube job
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 19 2004, 09:42 AM
Post #3

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Remove door latch assembly - clean with ?(brake cleaner) - lube with lithium grease - reinstall. It can be removed with everything in place tho it is a PITA.

OR

Look at the backside of the outside latch - is the mounting ear or ? starting to break?
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 19 2004, 10:27 AM
Post #4

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Lubing might fix it. I hope it does. The other possibility is the plastic piece on the handle (part that does the pushing) is getting weak. When you pull the outside door handle off to lube it see if the two side strips of the plastic pusher bow outward easily.

If you can stick your finger into the hole where the door handle resides. see how hard it is to push the lever in with the tip of your finger. Shouldn't take much effort if it does then more cleaning and lubing of the entire door lock and latch assembly is required.
+Quote Post
markb
post Nov 19 2004, 10:38 AM
Post #5

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

It does sound like the plastic piece is bending under the pressure of the latch. It may not be broken, just bending. Check & replace if needed. Lube the he!! out of everything before reinstalling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 19 2004, 10:48 AM
Post #6

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I TOLD YOU SO

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

M
+Quote Post
basenji7
post Nov 19 2004, 11:22 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,953

Weekend task:

remove the lock assembly
thorough cleaning
thorough lubing

the plastic cam latch is bowing when the door is closed. When the door is open it does not bow and it pushes the lock release. The amount of pressure needed when using my finger does seem high. I will first clean and lube. If that does not work, I will then replace the plastic latch cam. the whole thing is not very complicated so I'm hoping that cleaning and lubing will take care of it.

Thanks everyone.

Darryl
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 11:34 PM