Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914RS4 Tube Chassis 996 Suspension Audi 2.7TT Stage 3, ADDED RECAROS
Cracker
post Mar 1 2017, 01:05 PM
Post #361

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Scott - I'll muddy up Rudy's thread (at least) one more time...I had taken a hard look at Bosch's Motorsports ABS M4 system/kit in the past. Most people whine about the cost - anything at the pointy end of development comes at a high price. What are you thoughts regarding programming/calibrating such a system to a 914 on slicks? The appealing upside to me was the adjustable slip that can be selected based upon a number of conditions and driver preferences. Until someone else surfaces with video of locking up the front brakes on a 914 at 165 mph (not something to be proud of, just experience) - I believe I am the only one with direct experience. I see the value of such a system near the limit - just not for a hot rod, doing hot rod things.

Tony
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Mar 1 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #362

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 1 2017, 02:05 PM) *

Scott - I'll muddy up Rudy's thread (at least) one more time...I had taken a hard look at Bosch's Motorsports ABS M4 system/kit in the past. Most people whine about the cost - anything at the pointy end of development comes at a high price. What are you thoughts regarding programming/calibrating such a system to a 914 on slicks? The appealing upside to me was the adjustable slip that can be selected based upon a number of conditions and driver preferences. Until someone surfaces with video of locking up the front brakes on a 914 at 165 mph - I believe I am the only one with direct experience. I see the value of such a system near the limit - just not for a hot rod, doing hot rod things.

Tony

Tony
I really appreciate your consistency and dedication you have to referring to your 914 as a "hot rod"....whatever makes your insurance company happy I guess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

As for the Motorsport ABS system. I have no direct experience with it but have friends that do and happened to be stuck on an airplane with one the other week and briefly discussed some issues they found at Daytona with the NSX GT3 project they were applying the system to. From my understanding the system has basic vehicle parameters that are setup and then the base calibrations are automatically set. There are several settings that can be selected from a dial switch that are fixed and should work for most drivers. There are one or two settings that can be calibrated, probably at a huge cost. The tables might be open...I can ask if you get serious.

Contrary popular belief, very few drivers if any, can consistently out brake a car with modern ABS. People will probably make fun of you until you blow by them in the braking zone. Go for it!

Scott
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 1 2017, 01:43 PM
Post #363

Advanced Member

Scott - I was referring to Rudy's car...LOL! You are correct, however, I mainly just to stick that out there to poke at Bob Saville (who happens to have a legitimate 914 race car!).

I only have a hot rod. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Thank you for your insight regarding the M4...I cannot offer an argument against it and it would make driving at the limit a whole lot easier - to mention the added confidence it would provide! The faster one drives, using technology to ease the drivers workload becomes more and more critical. No different than the go-fast gizmo's on my prototype buggy...

T

QUOTE(Amenson @ Mar 1 2017, 02:29 PM) *

Tony
I really appreciate your consistency and dedication you have to referring to your 914 as a "hot rod"....whatever makes your insurance company happy I guess. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Scott
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 1 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #364

Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

So after this round of A....BS talk it looks like the Audi ESP is out of the picture. I'll still take a hard look at the ABS of off a boxster.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 1 2017, 03:05 PM
Post #365

Advanced Member

Hey. I didn't start this stuff...I helped put a stop to it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

T

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 1 2017, 03:18 PM) *

So after this round of A....BS talk it looks like the Audi ESP is out of the picture. I'll still take a hard look at the ABS of off a boxster.

+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 3 2017, 07:23 PM
Post #366

Well motor is out of the Audi. It was amazing how these things are packaged. True nightmare to work on in the Audi but won't be a problem in the 914. Heck I'll be able to walk into the engine compartment. Great motor, but the way it is shoved into the Audi, it sucks big time. You forget how short these Audi V6's are. It measures about 18 inches long. So it's about 6" shorter than an LS1 or Coyote. Makes sense since its 2 cylinders short.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 3 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #367

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 3 2017, 05:23 PM) *

Well motor is out of the Audi. It was amazing how these things are packaged. True nightmare to work on in the Audi but won't be a problem in the 914. Heck I'll be able to walk into the engine compartment. Great motor, but the way it is shoved into the Audi, it sucks big time. You forget how short these Audi V6's are. It measures about 18 inches long. So it's about 6" shorter than an LS1 or Coyote. Makes sense since its 2 cylinders short.

I see... So in my build, short is bad but in yours, it's good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Glad to hear it's coming together for you, Rudy!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 5 2017, 12:02 PM
Post #368

^^^ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Well I separated the Audi motor from the triptronic and weighed it with , alternator, power steering pump, air conditioner, Ac drier, full of oil, headers, turbo , electric harness and torque converter. It weighed......a little shy of 440 lbs. I wonder how much a wet and fully dressed LS motor weights. I need to compare apples to apples though. Therefore the LS motor must have flywheel, clutch, exhaust headers, all peripherals, electronics, fuel injection, and intake system. Has anyone weighed this or have good information on this??
+Quote Post
csdilligaf
post Mar 5 2017, 02:18 PM
Post #369

Member No.: 14,397

So today's project was to get a drill fixture made so Rudy can have more bolts to hold the engine and trans together. I took the adapter plate and put it on my CMM to measure hole locations. Made the drill fixture with two locating pins in the alignment holes and four long drill bushings for the lower four holes that line up on the engine along with two hold down bolt holes. The Cayman S 6 speed has solid bosses at the correct location but Porsche does not drill them since the Cayman motor does not need them. Its nice that they are there though. Now we can use all of the bolt holes in the engine. I think it will be best to drill and tap the trans and then use short studs as needed. One of the holes is bolt that holds the starter in place and sliding it on a stud will help.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 5 2017, 05:24 PM
Post #370

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 5 2017, 10:02 AM) *

^^^ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Well I separated the Audi motor from the triptronic and weighed it with , alternator, power steering pump, air conditioner, Ac drier, full of oil, headers, turbo , electric harness and torque converter. It weighed......a little shy of 440 lbs. I wonder how much a wet and fully dressed LS motor weights. I need to compare apples to apples though. Therefore the LS motor must have flywheel, clutch, exhaust headers, all peripherals, electronics, fuel injection, and intake system. Has anyone weighed this or have good information on this??

440 is spot on for the 2.7

By comparison the 1.8 is 282 with all the accessories. Mine doesnt have the power steering pump, ac compressor, some emissions bits, and a bunch of bracketry so knock off 30lbs and my engine is right around 250.

One of the big reasons I went this route vs the V6 motor. (Granted my cast aluminum intercooler is about 30lbs, my turbo is about 10, and my engine cradle is another 10...)

An aluminum LS1 is about 430
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 5 2017, 08:15 PM
Post #371

Advanced Member

The flywheel, clutch, PP and adapter plate for the LS to G86/87 variants is substantial, heavy (and pretty). I didn't weigh it but would guess that it alone weighs about 55 lbs. Chris could weight his since his is still accessible. My engine only has an alternator and dry sump pump and weighs 425 lbs. A baseline comparison for power goals to engine weight - 586 hp and 553 torque - at the crank. Idles smooth, and can drive at idle with no throttle input. Very docile.

T

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 5 2017, 10:34 PM
Post #372

Thanks T. that LS7 is legendary. The little V6 can't compete with that monster. Chris if you get a chance can you weigh your LS3 fully dressed. Please include headers and clutch with adapter plate if possible. I've checked other sites and they say that GM's official fully dressed weight is 497 lbs but it doesn't include clutch and adapter kit or headers. Therefore, if I read T right then, I suspect that a fully dressed LS motor will weigh around 497 + 50(clutch and adapter) + 20 (headers).= 567 lbs. Does that sound about right?
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 6 2017, 01:29 PM
Post #373

I went down South to Chip's house and he tapped in four additional studs to the Cayman transmission. You can see them in the first picture (Chip's motor and trans). He machined up a trick jig and was able to set it up and tap the trans in about five minutes. For those of you that may want to do this, these studs are not mandatory but we like our belts and suspenders around here.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 6 2017, 02:50 PM
Post #374

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 5 2017, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 5 2017, 10:02 AM) *

440 is spot on for the 2.7

By comparison the 1.8 is 282 with all the accessories. Mine doesnt have the power steering pump, ac compressor, some emissions bits, and a bunch of bracketry so knock off 30lbs and my engine is right around 250.

One of the big reasons I went this route vs the V6 motor. (Granted my cast aluminum intercooler is about 30lbs, my turbo is about 10, and my engine cradle is another 10...)

An aluminum LS1 is about 430

Great to see these numbers posted, too bad the 1.8 or the V6 models available with aluminum blocks. I think the Type IV is right at 300 pounds complete?
+Quote Post
csdilligaf
post Mar 6 2017, 06:56 PM
Post #375

Member No.: 14,397

So my wife meets Rudy when he was here and when he leaves she asks "did you guys work on the Paudi" as in Pow-Dee. She thinks she's pretty funny
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 7 2017, 10:52 AM
Post #376

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) That should be your license plate
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 7 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #377

914 Freak!

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 6 2017, 11:29 AM) *

I went down South to Chip's house and he tapped in four additional studs to the Cayman transmission. You can see them in the first picture (Chip's motor and trans). He machined up a trick jig and was able to set it up and tap the trans in about five minutes. For those of you that may want to do this, these studs are not mandatory but we like our belts and suspenders around here.

Nice fixture, great to see you using the tapping block!
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 13 2017, 12:26 PM
Post #378

OK this weekend I mated the Cayman Trans with the Audi motor. I started removing all of the excess piping and tubing that are unnecessary (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . It really started to clean that rats nest of tubing up quite a bit. I'll post pictures when done. Hoping to place motor in this weekend and then make the motor mounts. Chip will then start mocking up for the custom headers. I'd like to have the motor completely bolted up this month since I will not be able to work on the work for the first two weeks of April.

My remaining schedule should look like this:

April: Complete the new floor pan and button up all of the access holes.
May: Complete radiators with AC system.
June: Complete brakes, and fuel system.
July: Complete electrical system and start the car.
August: Complete body with steel gt flares
September: Complete custom body work
October: Paint
November: Interior.

We will see how it pans out but this is the schedule until reality hits hard.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 13 2017, 12:51 PM
Post #379

914 Freak!

That is one ugly @ss motor with all those hoses, wires and such, should look decent cleaned up!
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 13 2017, 01:14 PM
Post #380

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I'll post a before and after picture. I'm removing the activated charcoal, the pcv and the secondary air pump. Ill build a puke tank for the PCV. Andrew whats been your experience on this?
+Quote Post

40 Pages V « < 17 18 19 20 21 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 08:23 AM