Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914RS4 Tube Chassis 996 Suspension Audi 2.7TT Stage 3, ADDED RECAROS
Andyrew
post Mar 13 2017, 01:49 PM
Post #381

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

SAI is emissions only and can be removed no issues.

Removing the charcoal/pcv isnt an issue you just have to have a place for the air to go, Puke tank works well, I have mine puking to atmosphere and it makes quite a mess. 034 motorsports makes a 1" billet adapter to the charcoal tank so you can route your puke system from there.

Another thing you have (2.7 vs 1.8) that I dont, is under the intake manifold you have a small bosch water pump with hoses that pumps water through the turbos / engine after engine shut off. Its common to remove that system as the hoses crack or the pumps leak.
Now my water pump ECU does something similar to that, but Im not sure if you want to retain that feature. Its something the ECU controls if the oil temp gets to a certain point.

I would start discussing all this with your tuner now. What do they need, What can you remove. Thats what I did, and they guided me to where I was.

Ask them about fueling, injectors, pressure regulator, Map sensor, MAF sensor, Boost control. Those are all things that need a serious discussion before parts bought.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 13 2017, 07:31 PM
Post #382

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Rudy, hábla me cuando empiezas el Aire Condicionado. Tengo la herramienta prensado de manguera barrera. Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 13 2017, 11:39 PM
Post #383

Member No.: 15,637

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 13 2017, 06:31 PM) *

Rudy, hábla me cuando empiezas el Aire Condicionado. Tengo la herramienta prensado de manguera barrera. Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Damn Kent that was actually pretty good Spanish. I was busting up imagining you saying that, with that crazy side grin. Thank you, I will take you up on that.

And now for the non Spanish speakers, he said,

"Rudy I like to wear leopard leotards and high heels as I drive my 914" verbatim I swear
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 15 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #384

Andrew thanks for your response. I'm interested in how your electric pump also doubles as a secondary pump for when the engine shuts off. I'm actually still thinking of using the Audi belt driven pump for primary and the Bosch pump as it was meant to be in its original state.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 16 2017, 08:28 AM
Post #385

Spooling.... Please wait

My electric pump has its own controller that when the key is off and the engine is hot will run the pump and fans for a couple minutes. I can program the temp at which the system trys to stay at from 140-205deg.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-172-1468264392_thumb.jpg)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 16 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #386

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 13 2017, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 13 2017, 06:31 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Damn Kent that was actually pretty good Spanish. I was busting up imagining you saying that, with that crazy side grin. Thank you, I will take you up on that.

And now for the non Spanish speakers, he said,

"Rudy I like to wear leopard leotards and high heels as I drive my 914" verbatim I swear

What can I say. It's not my first language. I meant to say Black not Leopard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Mar 16 2017, 12:52 PM
Post #387

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

Rudy can you give me the phone#of the fellow in menefee that you mentioned who knows fuel injection systems and has a shop thanks Bernie
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 16 2017, 04:36 PM
Post #388

QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Mar 16 2017, 11:52 AM) *

Rudy can you give me the phone#of the fellow in menefee that you mentioned who knows fuel injection systems and has a shop thanks Bernie

Bernie, he is no longer in California. He move to Lake Havasu. His name is Ben Strader and he owns a company called EFI university. https://www.efi101.com/ Take his classes and learn how to fix it yourself. He is an incredible instructor and explains everything in a very logical and progressive manner. It may be immensely fun for you.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 18 2017, 03:56 PM
Post #389

Well I we were able to place the motor to check for clearance and glad to say that it was a success. I'll have to adjust one tube to clear an oil filter but everything else fit great. Next step is to order some Z06 motor mounts and tie the motor in place.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Mar 18 2017, 05:51 PM
Post #390

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241

I know I'm not the first to say this, but:

THAT... is a lot of wires! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Here's to success as you get to hookin' up all that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

And Triple Super Bonus Points for being the only 914 (I've ever seen) where the motor/trans goes in from the top!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 19 2017, 07:42 AM
Post #391

Spooling.... Please wait

Whats crazier is that that white taped up lump I am going to say is the rest of the engine harness wiring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

The biggest issue facing conversion owners is the wiring goes the wrong way, requiring us to extend the factory wiring or cut and rewire most of the engine components.

It not THAT big of a deal because most of the engine bay stuff gets resistors on it and is not used. My local tuner is building wire tuck wire harnesses for the 1.8's, I might pick one up and rewire my engine bay because I have a big loop of wires that are just unnecessary.
+Quote Post
csdilligaf
post Mar 19 2017, 08:23 AM
Post #392

Member No.: 14,397
Region Association: None

I can machine and fabricate any thing but when it comes to wiring about all I know is red wire + black wire -. When I look at the bundle of harness I am intimidated for sure. Rudy seems to have a grasp on it and I ran across an Audi mechanic that loves the 2.7 and will help out as needed. Keeping fingers crossed.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 19 2017, 08:35 AM
Post #393

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Probably one of the most critical areas of emphasis in race cars are the electronics. Nothing matters much about a build if it is plagued by electrical gremlins (which can lead to: failures, fires, blah, blah, blah). The difference between the quality of electrical components and emphasis on such is often under-valued...or misunderstood. In a complex car like Rudy's...I believe nothing should get more attention than the electrical system, nothing. Good luck Rudy... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Tony
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 19 2017, 10:42 AM
Post #394

Tony I agree 100% the devil is going to be in the wiring with all of the sensors and actuators. Also need to make sure that there are no boost leaks. I plan on taking all the time necessary to get the wiring done right. Will lay out the entire system on a huge table and check every wire and connection. I have a close friend who is an electrical engineer and has written multiple university textbooks. Guy can make his own chips.....as in designing the circuit and actually building the chip in his garage. I think with him and the knowledgeable folks in this board I'm going to be all right.

Andrew yes that big lump is the wiring harness. I wrapped it in cellophane. I'll sure be needing your's and Mike Bellis' input when I get into it.

By the way, I'm checking out for a while on vacation.

TTYL
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 19 2017, 11:39 AM
Post #395

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(csdilligaf @ Mar 19 2017, 07:23 AM) *

I can machine and fabricate any thing but when it comes to wiring about all I know is red wire + black wire -. When I look at the bundle of harness I am intimidated for sure. Rudy seems to have a grasp on it and I ran across an Audi mechanic that loves the 2.7 and will help out as needed. Keeping fingers crossed.

Black wire is not ground in german cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Solid brown is.
+Quote Post
csdilligaf
post Mar 19 2017, 02:48 PM
Post #396

Member No.: 14,397
Region Association: None

Hell, I hardly ever get passed the red/black on the battery but that does explain why most everything I try to wire smokes.

Edit:
Now I am curious since I have never had a 914 that did not start as a gutted shell with out any wiring at all is the battery ground brown as well?
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Mar 23 2017, 09:46 PM
Post #397

Well look what came in the mail today!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
falcor75
post Mar 24 2017, 02:20 AM
Post #398

Member No.: 15,176
Region Association: Scandinavia

Whooo, Snailbrackets (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Dion
post Mar 24 2017, 04:03 AM
Post #399

RN

Member No.: 2,766
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Wow Rudy! That's a lot of work.
Have to agree about wiring issues. I witnessed Dave
(914dave) dealing with his harness and the 3.2. So many roadblocks with power not
going where it's supposed to.
All sorted though.

Rudy, looking fantastic. Nice progress. Carry on...
Cheers, Dion
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 24 2017, 07:54 AM
Post #400

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Mar 23 2017, 08:46 PM) *

Well look what came in the mail today!

Those look like Chinese headers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Please tell me there not

You have a number of solid options, most go OEM but here is a list in no order..

1. OEM
2. Ported OEM
3. AWE $3k headers.
4. $1750 Wagner headers
5. $900 Custom built like Silly Rabbit Motorsports, Built from thick stock material.

Those OBX/XS/$150special headers crack. They simply cant stand the heat that the turbos produce, especially with the boost turned up.

AWE
https://www.3zero3motorsports.com/store/a-w...haust-manifolds

Wagner
http://www.andysautosport.com/products/wag..._150001009.html

My money would go with silly rabbit motorsports I've got a link to their flow charts as well below.
http://sillyrabbitmotorsport.com/b5-s4-exh...haust-manifolds
http://www.myaudis4.com/srm-exhaust-manifold-flow-test/

Unrelated Note on my setup I am running an APR Iconel manifold for a 1.8T, if there is one thing in my engine build that will never break, its that manifold.

+Quote Post

40 Pages V « < 18 19 20 21 22 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 10:06 AM