Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages V « < 25 26 27 28 29 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914RS4 Tube Chassis 996 Suspension Audi 2.7TT Stage 3, ADDED RECAROS
Andyrew
post Dec 12 2018, 04:48 PM
Post #521

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Rudy,

Your essentially going to need to extend the fenders 5", The rear of the fender is where all that dimension is going to look the most odd.

I know you've worked with foam before, possibly a good idea to lay it out in foam and shape it a bit before you start cutting? Maybe do a wire frame of your potential wheel arch location and after putting some foil on your fenders to protect the steel spray some expanding foam on them in multiple layers and start forming it out?

Thats what I did for my V1 dash and it worked out really well. I had issues where I was trying to spray to much in one location and the foam never setting but in general a couple layers made the job easy and I was able to cheaply and easily template out what I want.

You could do this then make cardboard slices for what your fender line is and then be able to transfer those new measurements to the formation of steel?

Fun stuff ahead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) This will be really fun to watch! Wish I was closer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Dec 12 2018, 04:57 PM
Post #522

Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 12 2018, 02:48 PM) *

Rudy,

Your essentially going to need to extend the fenders 5", The rear of the fender is where all that dimension is going to look the most odd.

I know you've worked with foam before, possibly a good idea to lay it out in foam and shape it a bit before you start cutting? Maybe do a wire frame of your potential wheel arch location and after putting some foil on your fenders to protect the steel spray some expanding foam on them in multiple layers and start forming it out?

Thats what I did for my V1 dash and it worked out really well. I had issues where I was trying to spray to much in one location and the foam never setting but in general a couple layers made the job easy and I was able to cheaply and easily template out what I want.

You could do this then make cardboard slices for what your fender line is and then be able to transfer those new measurements to the formation of steel?

Fun stuff ahead (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) This will be really fun to watch! Wish I was closer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Thanks for the suggestions, I've never had to extend steel fenders like this, but I have some ideas. The end product is to continue the vanishing edge instead of just extending it straight out like an extrusion.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 12 2018, 05:07 PM
Post #523

Spooling.... Please wait

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Dec 12 2018, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 12 2018, 02:48 PM) *

Rudy,

Thanks for the suggestions, I've never had to extend steel fenders like this, but I have some ideas. The end product is to continue the vanishing edge instead of just extending it straight out like an extrusion.

I think thats a good idea. thats like what mine do. No where near as wide, but the same vanishing edge could be used.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1210.photobucket.com-172-1304923113.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Dec 12 2018, 09:20 PM
Post #524

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Dec 12 2018, 12:16 PM) *

Thanks guys.

Andrew I based my offsets on hitting target track widths and was not concerned with tucking the rears in. The front and rear track are now square at 63". The interesting thing with respect to the rear offset is that it's a 0" offset so there will be less eccentricity on the rear wheel bearings. The car will be wide that's for sure. I measures 76 1/2" to the rear rim edges. I figured if I was going through all of the trouble with tube chassis and all, that I was not interested in making a meek rendition of the 914. I'm hoping that with the extra width and the 3" wheel base extension that it will look like a panther crouching and ready to pounce.

Obviously I need to extend the fenders but I want to keep the curve in them rather than a straight extension. I have a couple of ideas to do that.

Kent don't know about the Curandero Come on by and check the wheels out in in person. They are 3-piece forged rims with custom offsets. I really like the look.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=132215&hl=

I stretched these flares pretty far. Since yours are already on you will likely need to use another method.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Dec 13 2018, 01:10 PM
Post #525

Oh I see, you extended them from the quarter panel. They looked good after you finished "massaging" them into shape.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Dec 13 2018, 01:21 PM
Post #526

Here is a shot from the rear:

Attached Image

Front Rim:

Attached Image

This is how much I'm needing to extend front fender + 1 1/2" since the lower control arm is being pushed out to give me the 63" square track.:

Attached Image

We're not messing around now!
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Dec 13 2018, 01:27 PM
Post #527

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Watch the Blinky episodes where they spread the flares WAY out
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Dec 13 2018, 01:31 PM
Post #528

QUOTE(barefoot @ Dec 13 2018, 11:27 AM) *

Watch the Blinky episodes where they spread the flares WAY out

Don't understand what you mean by this. Who or what are the Blinky episodes? Can you put a link in?
+Quote Post
defianty
post Dec 13 2018, 01:44 PM
Post #529

Member No.: 6,621
Region Association: None

Here's the Binky Epispode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB4NXA_vNWs&t=499s
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Dec 13 2018, 01:52 PM
Post #530

Thanks! The Binky flares are fiberglass and I don't think much of that will transfer to making steel flares. Thanks though!
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 13 2018, 02:20 PM
Post #531

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

food for thought..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI0vpvaL7Vc
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Dec 13 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #532

Close but not what I’m going to do. I want to keep the vanishing edge so when you see the fender from the side profile the current flat vertical area will shrink. The fenders will look more curved. Do you know if that car is from one of the world guys?
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 13 2018, 03:08 PM
Post #533

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

ya its boxy ,,, It was , has been sold , I dont know where it got of to..
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Dec 13 2018, 04:36 PM
Post #534

This is what I'm thinking of:

Attached Image

Seems like the "flat" portion will be reduced by about 2 1/2":

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 13 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #535

Spooling.... Please wait

I think that will work, just afraid of the rear section getting so tight.

That's why I was thinking you might need to foam it out to be able to try out a few options before you start cutting and welding.

Unless you absolutely have the design in your head your going with.

Another pic for idea refference. A more rounded fender.you can see the front fender is slightly flatter.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i719.photobucket.com-626-1307840091.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Dec 13 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #536

Thanks, Andrew for your comments and suggestions. I'm thinking that the final product will be like yours but edgier. I still want the flat design elements that are found throughout the 914. So it will look like yours but with a vertical flat element as found in the 916 flares.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 13 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #537

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Keep in mind, where "wide flared teeners" usually have issues is between 10/2 in the top center; and on the inner chassis if you run a reasonable amount of camber. Keep up the good work...remember, it doesn't have to be nicer than Chris's! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

PS: I know you are already aware of ALL of this but get the tires on there - with how large they will be it will indeed have to be "boxy' to carry the edge.

T
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Dec 13 2018, 09:21 PM
Post #538

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 13 2018, 05:33 PM) *

Keep in mind, where "wide flared teeners" usually have issues is between 10/2 in the top center; and on the inner chassis if you run a reasonable amount of camber. Keep up the good work...remember, it doesn't have to be nicer than Chris's! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

PS: I know you are already aware of ALL of this but get the tires on there - with how large they will be it will indeed have to be "boxy' to carry the edge.

T

Good things to remember. However, I have the 996 track which pushes the wheels out. I have plenty of room on the inside wheel wells. With respect to the boxy look, I don’t want to completely remove that or it will look like a 914 with 911 fenders. I still want some of the 914 flat edges. And absolutely, I wouldn’t attempt cutting fenders without tires......... and with regard to Chris YES IT DOES YES IT DOES, YES IT DOES (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
djway
post Dec 14 2018, 02:34 AM
Post #539

Member No.: 19,266

I am sure you already know this but just in case, fully compress the suspension with tires on when hanging the fenders to make sure that the tires do not rub when bottomed out
+Quote Post
Marv's3.6six
post Dec 14 2018, 05:10 PM
Post #540

Actual member 7"

Member No.: 3,165

Wow Rudy I just read thru your entire thread, you are truly building a monster, very impressed. Keep up the good wok. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post

40 Pages V « < 25 26 27 28 29 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:03 PM