Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages V « < 30 31 32 33 34 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914RS4 Tube Chassis 996 Suspension Audi 2.7TT Stage 3, ADDED RECAROS
Curbandgutter
post Feb 1 2021, 08:49 PM
Post #621

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,637
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 1 2021, 06:05 PM) *

Damn, I wish I had time to see it this week. Maybe next week Pipo. You're moving along quickly. Did you get your lathe yet? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Mill comes in this week. Lathe is on back order. I'm hoping to finish one side of the fenders this weekend......so next week you will see more progress. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Maybe even have my 1/4 panel/luggage holder started. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pete000
post Feb 1 2021, 08:59 PM
Post #622

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Love that fender sliding jig, very nicely done. This build will bring new meaning to the term "Wide Body!"
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 1 2021, 09:25 PM
Post #623

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

This project just makes me smiiiiiile.

So cool, and love seeing the creativity!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 3 2021, 11:42 AM
Post #624

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

The fixtures for the flare surgery is next level stuff...I dig it.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Feb 5 2021, 12:22 PM
Post #625

Thanks for all the nice comments. This weekend I plan on owering the fender tops about 1 inch and tying the tops of the fenders together. I plan on using the English wheel to give it that slight arch. Lets see how it goes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)........oh and mill came in today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Looks like I'll be making my own suspension pieces. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ValcoOscar
post Feb 5 2021, 12:51 PM
Post #626

Garage Life

Member No.: 16,669

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Feb 5 2021, 10:22 AM) *

Thanks for all the nice comments. This weekend I plan on owering the fender tops about 1 inch and tying the tops of the fenders together. I plan on using the English wheel to give it that slight arch. Lets see how it goes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)........oh and mill came in today (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Looks like I'll be making my own suspension pieces. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Congrats Rudy-

I see Curbandgutter MotorSports operation in your future (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

O
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Feb 7 2021, 11:07 PM
Post #627

UPDATE ON REAR FLARES

Mark to cut and slide downAttached Image

cut and slide down 1 inch Attached Image

This is how high the edge is prior to lowering 1 inch Attached Image

Post loweringAttached Image Attached Image

fitting the top piece Attached Image Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Feb 7 2021, 11:53 PM
Post #628

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Wow! That is going to look incredible!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
raynekat
post Feb 8 2021, 01:04 AM
Post #629

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,263
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I can't wait to see what these humongous STEEL rear fenders look like when completed. You are certainly a professional mad scientist. Very cool.
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Feb 8 2021, 09:30 AM
Post #630

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Tool Whore's the world over say, "Excellent use of the curvy template tool."

And by the way, it took me 531 days between when I started installing my flares until I fired my car for the first time (March 14, 2019 to August 26, 2020). I don't want to wait that long to see your car run so hopefully, you're a faster fabber than me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Rudy, your car is gonna be wild! Can't wait to see it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Feb 8 2021, 12:04 PM
Post #631

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 5 2021, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Curbandgutter @ Feb 5 2021, 10:22 AM) *

Congrats Rudy-

I see Curbandgutter MotorSports operation in your future (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

O

I'm just loading up with tools so that I have them when I retire in about 10 years.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 8 2021, 12:56 PM
Post #632

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Damn, That sectioning of the rear flare is some damn fancy work! I didnt even see it the first time I looked at the pics! I thought it was just mockup!! The English wheel work is also fabulous!
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Feb 8 2021, 01:43 PM
Post #633

Hey this is what I'm thinking for the rear. I'm open to suggestions.

I'm thinking of something like this. It's hard to illustrate it, but it won't look like horns or cat eyes. I'm thinking of 3d printing the louvers and then dipping in that paint that makes it look like carbon fiber. Where it attaches to the rea by the light will follow the contour of the fender Attached Image
do nothing Attached Image

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Feb 8 2021, 02:10 PM
Post #634

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 8 2021, 10:56 AM) *

Damn, That sectioning of the rear flare is some damn fancy work! I didnt even see it the first time I looked at the pics! I thought it was just mockup!! The English wheel work is also fabulous!

Thanks Andrew. It's really not that bas once you understand how the metal behaves. It's like thinning out pizza dough.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 8 2021, 02:17 PM
Post #635

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

I say you get the fender done, put a tire under it and see how it looks.

What other things are you doing to the rear that is non standard? Having these vents will help performance wise but its going to look really odd on this car if nothing else "modern" is being done besides wheels (And obviously the whole chassis but thats not visible from the outside).

DO you prefer form or function here? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

There is a lot of trapped air in the back of a 914, but if for example you use a diffuser, there likely wont be much at all. And there is so little area behind the 914 rear tire that there wont be much air flowing into it.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 8 2021, 02:22 PM
Post #636

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

If you are putting the vents in the rear of the flares, then put a boxster radiator in each one. That way you don't have to run the plumbing up front.

+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Feb 8 2021, 03:09 PM
Post #637

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 8 2021, 12:17 PM) *

I say you get the fender done, put a tire under it and see how it looks.

What other things are you doing to the rear that is non standard? Having these vents will help performance wise but its going to look really odd on this car if nothing else "modern" is being done besides wheels (And obviously the whole chassis but thats not visible from the outside).

DO you prefer form or function here? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

There is a lot of trapped air in the back of a 914, but if for example you use a diffuser, there likely wont be much at all. And there is so little area behind the 914 rear tire that there wont be much air flowing into it.

Andrew I'm cutting in a vent opening in the 1/4 panel.......my pseudo luggage rack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif) , this will bring air into the intercoolers and so I need an exhaust. So, yes, there will be a lot of air in the wheel well. As for the diffuser yes I'm making one that doubles as the stiffening panel along the entire engine bay bottom. I'm using it to tie everything together structurally along the bottom and then doubling as a diffuser.
Thinking of going with 1/8" aluminum plate. The diffuser fins will be maybe 20 gauge aluminum that is bolted on to the diffuser with some button head screws. That way they can easily be replaced when needed. I have 6 points of attachment made for that in the cage. I want to modernize the look of the car without going too far........maybe I already did but........I'm planning on using chrome bumpers but modernizing. I've good some ideas ruminating.
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Feb 8 2021, 04:20 PM
Post #638

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 8 2021, 12:22 PM) *

If you are putting the vents in the rear of the flares, then put a boxster radiator in each one. That way you don't have to run the plumbing up front.

Clay, I will have radiators in front of the wheel. I have 1/4 cut-outs coming!
+Quote Post
Curbandgutter
post Feb 8 2021, 04:40 PM
Post #639

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 8 2021, 07:30 AM) *

Tool Whore's the world over say, "Excellent use of the curvy template tool."

And by the way, it took me 531 days between when I started installing my flares until I fired my car for the first time (March 14, 2019 to August 26, 2020). I don't want to wait that long to see your car run so hopefully, you're a faster fabber than me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Rudy, your car is gonna be wild! Can't wait to see it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Yes......tool whores unite!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) I don't know about that 531 days though......We sold our house and I will eventually stop working on project since I'll be building a new house with a real shop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) The escrow is a long 6 month to 1 year process so, Ill try and get most of the work done so that I can get car into roller shape so I can transport. First thing to build on the house is the workshop though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Feb 8 2021, 05:59 PM
Post #640

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

Rudy: Your car is going to make a Group 5 look tame by comparison...! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post

40 Pages V « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:46 PM