Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Zinc Anode, Would this work?
balljoint
post Nov 19 2004, 02:52 PM
Post #1

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,897
Region Association: None

A number of years ago I did a summer work term with a Toronto area Water Works Dept. We got to spend a lot of time observing various projects in the community as we were students. (Yup, I was one of the 8 gov't workers standing near the work that was being done but not really doing anything)

Anyway, one day we were at the scene of a watermain break and once they had the water shut off and the break located and dug up, they put a giant collar around the old cast iron pipe and then welded a giant piece of zinc (3 feet long by 10 inches in diameter) to the pipe to act as a sacrificial anode. This was to prevent further oxidation and hence weakening of the pipe.

I can access zinc pot draw samples from a local galvanized steel manufacturer. I have a zinc sample now that is 3 inches in diameter and 5 inches long. If I were to bolt this to the frame of my 914, would it help to reduce futher oxidation in the same way that the various zinc primers etc. work?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 04:41 PM