Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do I use, a dwell meter?
Ctrout
post Nov 19 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,091

49 isn't THAT bad is it? I thought spec was 47 +/- 3. Is that right? That would mean that 50 is still "in spec". Or is spec 44 +/- 3?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 19 2004, 09:15 PM
Post #22

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

That's a dog goned good question... 45° here...

I am not sure what happens if it's short, but if it's long, it acts like Joe mentioned, missy.

If I am thinking correctly, long dwell will build up black thingy where combustion used to happen..

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

M
+Quote Post
Ctrout
post Nov 19 2004, 09:47 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 2,091

So how greatly would a short dwell affect power? I understand that longer dwell means longer spark which in theory would mean more complete combustion. If I tune it to 45 will I lose efficiency? Or will any loss be made up in the correction of the misfire? I realize that ideally there should be no misfire But I'm wondering what is the "point of diminishing returns"?
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 19 2004, 10:10 PM
Post #24

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

The dwell angle is the charging period for the coil.... 45 degrees times 4 (cyls) open, plus 4 closed equals 360 degrees. Retrograded dwell is as bad as anything you could do with it.. no worse... no better.. just wrong.

It's the real electro-mechanical link between your spark, and your injection..

You need the strongest charge possible per firing for maximum efficiency, and performance.

Fiddle with the timing all you want, until it sounds lopey, or weak... but set your dwell at spec. Timing off-spec does no good on a stock motor with injection, anyhow.

Remember when you read this, I am not my own mechanic, so fly it up another flag pole before planting it on the moon.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

M
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 01:42 AM