Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Work on cars? WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!, Just got out of the ER
ChrisReale
post Nov 19 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #1

Sleazy

Group: Members
Member No.: 176

Wear goggles or some type of eye protection. I just spent the last two hours in the ER having a doctor pluck a piece of rusty metal off my eyeball. (i tried to get it out, but no luck) Save yourself the hassle....wear goggles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Oh yea, no pics, sorry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Nov 19 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

BTDT (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
The nurse who was taking care of it had more facial hair than me.
Not a face I enjoyed having within 2 inches of my own (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
Lesson learned, never wanna see her again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 19 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I was wearing eye goggles at work when some fireproofing hit me in the face cuz some dumbshit was knocking it off. It went behind my eye soo I spent 4 hrs having a woman Doctor flush and pick it out. Ever had your eye in a clamp? Now that was fun, "Don't move or I could blind you". Never sat still for so long....

Geoff
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Nov 19 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #4

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441

Yuppers... me too. Whilst liv'n in NortDakota I was fix'n on mah muffler when a piece got in mah eye. Had to go to the eye doc to get the fine piece extracted. The best part was, instead of my reglar insurance paying for it the car insurance did since it was car related! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Wear dem dam goggles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

...b

P.s. Chris... you OK?
+Quote Post
hargray2
post Nov 19 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #5

fuh-q

Member No.: 1,432

I got a piece of aluminum in my eye. I could see the little bastard stuck in there. It was in there a few days (I'm a dumbass) before I finally got it out myself. STOOOPID!
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 19 2004, 11:49 PM
Post #6

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I am glad you got to see me..

M
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 20 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #7

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Yeah, getting a little piece of metal off the eye is totally un-cool.
Had it done about 15 years ago ( VW exhaust rust ) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
The doctor comes at you with a little cutoff wheel/dremel thingy and scuffs it off the surface of your eyeball. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Then ye get to wear a wee eye patch, Sonny Jim, an' ye start talkin' like a scurvy sea dog, arr. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pirate.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Nov 20 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

Wait until you get the joy of having the peice go in your eye and you can't find it. The doc tells you to wait until the peice rust so he can find it. That will really get to you. Always were your safety glasses.

Never hurts to keep a very clean magnet in your tool box for getting those peices of metal out of your eye.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Nov 20 2004, 01:02 AM
Post #9

robots!

Member No.: 3,020

carb cleaner is another fun thing to get in your eye...feels like, uh, carb cleaner... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)
+Quote Post
Carlitos Way
post Nov 20 2004, 04:22 AM
Post #10

I did it MY WAY

Member No.: 2,757
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mattillac @ Nov 19 2004, 11:02 PM)
carb cleaner is another fun thing to get in your eye...feels like, uh, carb cleaner... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)

Does that make your eyes blink faster?

Sorry, I couldn't resist
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Nov 20 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #11

Mahna Mahna!

Member No.: 847

Once upon a time ago while standing on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier, during a healthy storm, the plane I was standing under (C2) was hit by jet wash from a jet blast deflector failure. Thats the big thingy that pops up out of the flight deck behind the planes as they are launching. They were launching F-14's at the time. The jet blast pushed the C2 into another C2 that had its props turning. The resulting aluminium shower embedded slivers in me that I still pick out today. That was Roughly 15 years ago. One piece flew through my safety goggles an stuck in my eye. When they extracted it in the ER they figured it was about 2" long. No damage but I still have a red spot from where it entered. Goggles good. Had I not been wearing them I would have lost my eye.

Wear them goggles no matter how silly ya look. You'd look even funnier with a glass eye roll around in there.

My best,
Mike D.
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Nov 20 2004, 10:53 AM
Post #12

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

I was wearing eye protection when in a shop putting a hydraulic ram together for a front end loader. We were working on getting the ram lined up to hook it back to the bucket. Dumbass running the controls (owner/boss) didn't know when to stop, the seal on the ram failed, and shit went flying. Goggles saved me from a sh$t load of hydraulic fluid going in my eyes but couldn't stop part of the ram from glancing off of my head and sending me to the ER for stitches. I got looking, prolly could have been killed.

I was warned after that about the guys safety record, needless to say I didn't stay there very long after that.
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Nov 20 2004, 11:22 AM
Post #13

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yup,

I sympathize with you! I had a piece of good German teener steel stuck in my eye.

I wore goggles, took a shower, washed my hair and two hours later the damn thang fell out of my hair and into my eye (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Those eye dremels are scary (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Ken
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Nov 20 2004, 12:01 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 178

In 1986 I was involved on an explosion at an oil refinery. Got metal frags in both eyes, spent 10 days completely blind, doc says I was lucky to regain sight.
I was wearing ansi safety glasses at the time and they prolly made the difference. now I'm veeeery careful with my eye balls.
+Quote Post
Allan
post Nov 20 2004, 01:03 PM
Post #15

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304

QUOTE(Sammy @ Nov 20 2004, 10:01 AM)
In 1986 I was involved on an explosion at an oil refinery.

Was it at Valero/Ultramar or whatever it was called back then?
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Nov 20 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 178

Nopers, Valero/Ultramar in wilmington was the safest refinery I ever worked at and I've been in a bunch of em.

The explosion I refered to was at a small independent called Powerine Oil Company in Santa Fe springs.
No big deal, that place blew up on a regular basis.

Imagine a place with very flammable stuff at extremely high temperatures and pressures that is held together with JB weld and duct tape, that was Powerine. I fought at least a dozen serious fires in the 9 years I worked there.
It's been closed since 1995 but the funny thing is, I enjoyed working there more than any other place. The concept of never-ending crisis management brought the 400 or so employees very close together, like a family.
I haven't fought a class C fire since I left that place.
+Quote Post
muddboy
post Nov 20 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,085

In 10 years of working as a machinist... you would think I would learn. I have had to have my eyeball "SCRAPED" 3 times in the last 5 years... (btw... thats what they do when the piece of metal is to deep to "pluck" out).
+Quote Post
dan10101
post Nov 20 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #18

TORQUE-o-holic

Member No.: 626

Just so the youngn's get the message. I'll throw mine in the mix. Sounds like just about every old guy has had this experience. Was back in my tire and wrenching days. Putting an air gun on a hose. The hose end came off and blew rust and crap from the air lines into my face. Several hours later in ER, I ended up fine.

Not to mention numerous times of looking up under a car and having something fall into my eyes. Muffler jobs were the worst.

Let's just say, no reason not to wear eye protection.
+Quote Post
charlesmac
post Nov 20 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 2,264

Well, my first eye incident happened in geometry class my junior year of high school. Walked in the class room and was standing behind one of my buddies listening to him describe the wreck he had the night before. Of course, not many people can talk without using thier hands, he just happned to have a compass in his at the time. yup, you guessed it, the compass stuck in my eye when he jerked his hand toward my face. (in his defense, he didn't know i was there) punctured the lens, which had to be removed, and started forming a cataract. I can see now since i got a lens replacement surgery done a few years ago. goggles would've saved my eye, but who wears them to geometry class? oh, and had the dremel thing done a couple of times to remove metal and the surrounding rust, in the same eye!! I wear goggles any time i cut or grind or even think something might fall in my eye.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Nov 20 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #20

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Got rusty metal in my eye. Damn doc used the same bur I use on teeth on my eye. Not funny when he said " Hold still this won't hurt a bit".

Dave
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 10:52 PM