Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Relation between bad spark connection and lower compression?
john_g
post Apr 6 2013, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,100
Region Association: Canada

Hey, guys, I'm curious about an interesting coincidence. My latest 914 is relatively new to me. When I purchased it, I noticed that it missed significantly at higher revs, especially in the lower gears. The owner said that it there was a rev limiter in the electronic ignition, but I knew that was BS because I removed the dizzie cap and saw that it had the normal rotor w/o the rev limiter, and also because I never ran it even close to the red line. The other issue I noted was that the #3 cylinder's compression was significantly lower than the other cylinders, but of course I assumed these two issues were unrelated.

When I got it home I found that the spark wire connection at the distributor cap for the #3 cylinder was very poor. As soon as I replaced the spark wires the problem of the engine missing stopped. This has got me thinking. Obviously, from what the PO said, the missing (and the bad spark connection at #3) had been going on for a while. Is it possible that running the car for a long time w/ poor spark at one cylinder could lower compression, through incomplete combustion, unburned gas, etc? And ... if the cylinder and valves are gummed up from this, could I expect that the compression could increase after some lengthy drives and cleaner combustion?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2024 - 10:52 AM