Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> trans get hot= no shiftie??, what the flux??
aircooledboy
post Nov 21 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #1

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I have had this problem since I put the 8 back together, but it has gotten really bad lately. I'll be pulling the trans this winter to get taller gears, but I'm curious what you guys think. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

When I start out, the trans shifts perfectly, as good as any modern car. But after about 15 minutes, things go south. I'll go to put the clutch in, and it will be stiff toward the bottom. Then, the next time I put the clutch in, it will stop about an inch or so from the bottom. If I muscle it, it will make a "pop" and go the rest of the way. At that point, even if I crank it to the floor, it is very hard to get into any gear. It then continues that way until I shut the car off, and let it sit. The next day, without fail, it will shift perfectly again, until it starts all over again. I was sure my clutch tube was breaking free until it healed itself overnight. It has done that 5 times now. When it is acting up, it will not go into reverse, not matter what.

My WAG is the pilot bearing. I used a KEP bearing, because I am a cheap bastard ( I know, a cheap 914 owner, who ever heard of that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) ), and it was less than half what Rennegade gets. But when I was at Rennegade this summer, they told me the reason the KEP is so much cheaper is because KEP uses an aluminum ring, and Rennegade uses steel. Renegade claims that the aluminum allows the bearing to walk when it gets hot. I scoffed at the time, but now I'm not so sure. What do you guys think (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
aircooledboy   trans get hot= no shiftie??   Nov 21 2004, 07:28 PM
john rogers   When we built my race car 914 we did not use any "...   Nov 21 2004, 07:32 PM
Series9   Hmmm, I haven't seen a failure like this befor...   Nov 21 2004, 07:45 PM
aircooledboy  
  Nov 21 2004, 08:07 PM
slivel   I have definitely experienced shifting problems th...   Nov 21 2004, 09:27 PM
aircooledboy   I also have some leaking (more like weeping) at th...   Nov 21 2004, 09:39 PM
tommy914   Any chance that the clutch cable is too close too ...   Nov 21 2004, 09:51 PM
Red-Beard   If you are having pedal problems, it is clutch rel...   Nov 21 2004, 09:52 PM
914GT   I suppose it's possible the pilot bearing coul...   Nov 21 2004, 10:06 PM
SpecialK   ...   Nov 22 2004, 01:54 AM
aircooledboy   Headers are not wraped, but the clutch cable doesn...   Nov 22 2004, 03:19 PM
Brad Roberts   Ha ha... The KEP parts are fine. I had the EXACT s...   Nov 22 2004, 03:24 PM
ArtechnikA  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:41 PM