Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> learned something today
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 12 2013, 10:18 AM
Post #1

I drive my car everyday

Group: Members
Member No.: 666

I have a 2056 with raby 9550 cam, and 9:1 compression ratio. I've recently had some problems with pre ignition with a fully warm engine. It usually happens when transitioning from cruise to WOT. I tried retarding the timing to no avail. The engine has been increasingly hard to tune and inconsistent. I could just not get the timing, dwell, and afr to work together at idle.

Whist searching the net for something unrelated, I stumbled on a page at the ngk website. Now, I've always used ngk BP6es plugs with never a problem. the article explained the causes and effects of pre ignition (or detonation). With the info from the article, I deduced that my 6's were too hot, and that my.034 plug gap was too great. This morning I replaced the 6's with 7's and reduced plug gap to 28. The difference upon startup was quite pronounced. The idle smoothed, I was able to obtain 12.7 afr at idle with the ecu knob, and re advance the timing to factory specs. the results were a smoother acceleration with what felt like(butt dyno) increased power in the upper rpms, and no detonation. I'm shocked at the difference a cooler plug made.

Hope this helps if your having a similar problem
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 04:24 PM