Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> College Build Thread, trying to make as nice as i can on a college budget.
Dave_Darling
post Apr 13 2013, 11:20 PM
Post #21

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Hey, that's not the first blue 914 to run around that neighborhood! I used to live around the corner a few years ago... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(That's in around Cirrus/Stratus/Cumulus, right?)

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Apr 13 2013, 11:30 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

Thank you Luke! Interior is very much clean, just need shampooing on the original floor carpet and re-upholster my seat for some leather ripped. Everything works except the clock and seatbelt warning light.

more pics:

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
lanker88
post Apr 13 2013, 11:31 PM
Post #23

Cruis'n World 914

Member No.: 11,734

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 13 2013, 10:20 PM) *

Hey, that's not the first blue 914 to run around that neighborhood! I used to live around the corner a few years ago... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(That's in around Cirrus/Stratus/Cumulus, right?)

--DD

Hey Dave,

Yeah i've only seen a few 914s in Sunnyvale area trying to keep atleast one here. Pretty close to there just a few minutes away from there im over by homestead and sunnyvale saratoga.

-Luke
+Quote Post
lanker88
post Apr 13 2013, 11:33 PM
Post #24

Cruis'n World 914

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 13 2013, 10:30 PM) *

Thank you Luke! Interior is very much clean, just need shampooing on the original floor carpet and re-upholster my seat for some leather ripped. Everything works except the clock and seatbelt warning light.

more pics:

Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image

WOW! Im jealous for sure.
+Quote Post
lanker88
post Apr 14 2013, 11:02 AM
Post #25

Cruis'n World 914

Okay So I've been thinking of a cool way to rearrange my gauge cluster and have been wanting to add temp and oil pressure with that said I have a question. Will the 911 gauges work with the 914? This one in particular? I want to put this where my fuel gauge is on the far left and use a small VDO fuel gauge in a center console ill be installing along with the clock and battery voltage. What do you think?
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 14 2013, 12:00 PM
Post #26

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121

You have to have senders that will work with those gauges. The stock "idiot light" sender will not give a reading for the gauge; you will need a "dual sender". And you'll need a grease gun hose and some adaptor fittings to mount it, because the dual senders are big enough to interfere with the distributor.

If you have the oil temp sender in the "taco plate", you will get some readings on the temp gauge. They won't match the (very tiny) numbers on the gauge, but at least the needle will tell you "warmer" or "cooler". You can get a sender that will read correctly for that gauge, though.

If you don't have a sender already, you'll need to come up with a way to mount one down in the sump. See Racer Chris' group buy thread for the "taco plate" setup; it looks pretty neat.

Most of the VDO fuel gauges don't have the right range to work with our senders. Some that were intended for use in Bugs do, I think.

I'd put an extra light up in the instrument cluster for your low fuel light. The gauge you show doesn't have a light, and it might be nice to have that warning up in the dash rather than down in the console.

....Why yes, I did think a lot about this particular setup before I finally bought one of the triple-gauge kits.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--DD
+Quote Post
lanker88
post Apr 14 2013, 03:24 PM
Post #27

Cruis'n World 914

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 14 2013, 11:00 AM) *

You have to have senders that will work with those gauges. The stock "idiot light" sender will not give a reading for the gauge; you will need a "dual sender". And you'll need a grease gun hose and some adaptor fittings to mount it, because the dual senders are big enough to interfere with the distributor.

If you have the oil temp sender in the "taco plate", you will get some readings on the temp gauge. They won't match the (very tiny) numbers on the gauge, but at least the needle will tell you "warmer" or "cooler". You can get a sender that will read correctly for that gauge, though.

If you don't have a sender already, you'll need to come up with a way to mount one down in the sump. See Racer Chris' group buy thread for the "taco plate" setup; it looks pretty neat.

Most of the VDO fuel gauges don't have the right range to work with our senders. Some that were intended for use in Bugs do, I think.

I'd put an extra light up in the instrument cluster for your low fuel light. The gauge you show doesn't have a light, and it might be nice to have that warning up in the dash rather than down in the console.

....Why yes, I did think a lot about this particular setup before I finally bought one of the triple-gauge kits.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--DD

Thanks Dave, that gives me a little to think about. I could utilize the "cat" light since its a 75 as a low fuel light haha since its being unused anyway.
+Quote Post
lanker88
post Apr 22 2013, 01:44 PM
Post #28

Cruis'n World 914

QUOTE(lanker88 @ Apr 14 2013, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 14 2013, 11:00 AM) *

--DD

Thanks Dave, that gives me a little to think about. I could utilize the "cat" light since its a 75 as a low fuel light haha since its being unused anyway.

Update:
-Installed refurbished vacuum distributor- PO had a vw bug distributor which was causing the bucking and engine dying.

-Installed Battery Voltmeter, Oil Pressure, and Oil Temp Gauges(underdash)

Pics to soon follow

-Valve Adjustment done and other work completed at HPH.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 11:27 AM