Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What did you do WRONG on your 914 Today
bandjoey
post Apr 17 2014, 09:52 AM
Post #41

bandjoey

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

O
Just the normal 914 mistake.
Up on the jackstands last October to put in pushrod seals and adjust the valves.
Walked by it today still on jackstands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Apr 17 2014, 10:44 AM
Post #42

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

Helped a friend install a transmission without the throw out bearing or clutch fork. He took the blame.

As a teenager I thought I had a bad trans on a 67 Ghia. I had all the nuts and bolts removed ready to pull it out.
A friend stopped by and pointed out the the rear brake drum spline was stripped from failure to tighten the big castle nut properly. Best laugh he had in a long time.
+Quote Post
whatabout1
post Apr 18 2014, 08:03 PM
Post #43

Toys in Red

Member No.: 5,676
Region Association: None

Placed a huge folded super thick shipping blanket on the hood, just like the ones on the roof and trunk,
so the stuff that doesn't fit on the roof and trunk wouldn't scratch her. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Apr 18 2014, 10:09 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

I installed a rebuilt engine and when I got it running I noticed that it was running hot. I looked and looked to solve the issue but couldn't figure out what was causing the issue.. I took the teener to Palm Springs and it was running very hot. I finally took it back to the mechanic who rebuilt the motor. I left it with him and he had the same issue and then he noticed blue flecks on the firewall. He reached down and pulled out a blue shop towel from the fan. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) that resolved the heating issue but the hearing caused and banging issue when cold.
Dropped the engine AGAIN and took it back to my mechanic and it turns out that I cracked one of the heads.
Replaced the head and put everything together. Since I had done this before I was able to put the engine back in much faster but it wouldn't start once everything was connected. Bottom line
1. Crossed fuel lines
2. No power to fuel pump
3. Burned out the electronic ignition
4. Replacing the battery
5. Burning out 3 starters
5. Reverted back to points but didn't ground the condenser. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

After many days turning the figured out that not grounding the condenser caused me such heart ache.

I felt so dumb when I figured out the issue.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Apr 18 2014, 10:29 PM
Post #45

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Ravi...

You must really love your car..........

BTW....I might need some help dropping my motor to replace the motor mounts I broke when I replaced the suspension.

Now you are a pro.

+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 18 2014, 11:45 PM
Post #46

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 17 2014, 09:44 AM) *

Helped a friend install a transmission without the throw out bearing or clutch fork. He took the blame.

As a teenager I thought I had a bad trans on a 67 Ghia. I had all the nuts and bolts removed ready to pull it out.
A friend stopped by and pointed out the the rear brake drum spline was stripped from failure to tighten the big castle nut properly. Best laugh he had in a long time.

I had the exact thing happen with a 1965 VW bug I had. I thought I had a blown clutch. I actually installed a new clutch. I put it in gear, let out the clutch and it still didn't move. I let it run, went outside and looked and saw the axle turning inside the brake drum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Well, it needed a new clutch anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 19 2014, 12:05 AM
Post #47

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Installed my front license plate (only because I got a ticket). It's just so wrong, putting a front plate on these cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 19 2014, 07:34 AM
Post #48

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 18 2014, 11:05 PM) *

Installed my front license plate (only because I got a ticket). It's just so wrong, putting a front plate on these cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Was it an MC cop, a rookie cop or did you just piss off a regular cop. Most cops I know wouldn't ticket you for that.
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Apr 19 2014, 07:36 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 19 2014, 02:05 AM) *

You are correct. 914's look much better without front tags. Took my bracket off 41 years ago and lost it many moons ago. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914-300Hemi
post Apr 19 2014, 08:21 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 6,794

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 18 2014, 09:29 PM) *

Ravi...

You must really love your car..........

BTW....I might need some help dropping my motor to replace the motor mounts I broke when I replaced the suspension.

Now you are a pro.

Sure let me know when and I will come over and help. By the way I don't consider myself a pro.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 19 2014, 11:22 AM
Post #51

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 19 2014, 05:34 AM) *
Was it an MC cop, a rookie cop or did you just piss off a regular cop. Most cops I know wouldn't ticket you for that.
Worse than a rookie, the story is here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2023586
+Quote Post
relentless
post Apr 19 2014, 12:55 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 7,636

Pulled my '76 914 out of the shop for the first time in seven years. Insured and licensed the car, and then took the wife for a drive up to the Oregon Caves. Now the car has a little over 80K on the odometer. I had forgotten how low these cars sit and how awkward it is to get in and out now that I am no longer a youngster. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Attached Image
+Quote Post
76-914
post Oct 22 2014, 09:02 PM
Post #53

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

A couple of days ago my GPS Speedo quit. As I had just connected a few other items in the console I looked there first. Sure enough I had pulled a wire loose from it's connection. A quick fix then back on the road. Yesterday, I hop in the car and no speedo, again! Shit sticks! So I check the fuse, OK. Out comes the console face again but everything is intact this time. As I put things back I notice a small red wire hanging next to the consoles left side. I thought this is easy but how in the Hell did I do that? Upon closer examination I discover another small red wire torn as well as a white one AND the small coaxial antenae cable ripped in two places. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Rat attack? Cat from Hell? Vandalism? Nope. The problem was this DACO. I had run some wires too close to the U-Joint on the steering column and I had stuffed the extra 10' of antenae wire next to it. Once I realized I had ripped the wiring apart with the shaft it made sense. After a couple of hours of splicing and cussing it's working again. I shortened that antenae cable about 10' while I was at it. The moral to this story is that U-Joint is fairly well concealed by the same braces that make it an open invitation to pass thru when wiring. Easily avoided by securing wiring but I got lazy and it bit me in the ass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) I remember the second it happened, now. I felt a bit of resistance in the wheel then it was gone. I thought (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) , I'll check it later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
pneuhyde
post Oct 22 2014, 09:55 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 3,654
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Is it WRONG, if you refurbish a Targa top, install new Targa top holders in the trunk,
Attached Image
AND THEN FIND OUT THE TRUNK LID WONT CLOSE ALL THE WAY ????????
+Quote Post
pneuhyde
post Oct 22 2014, 10:10 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 3,654
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Is it WRONG, if you install new s/s brake lines and new steel lines to the calipers,
then decide to pull out the e-brake cables for some massive liquid wrench soaking
Attached Image
And then LEAVE the cables in the outside garbage to drain and remember today that the garbage was picked up early this morning.
What a productive weekend
+Quote Post
bdstone914
post Oct 22 2014, 10:30 PM
Post #56

bdstone914

Member No.: 1,319

That flexible line looks too long to me. It should not drop down that far. Could you have mixed up the fronts and rears?
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Oct 22 2014, 10:42 PM
Post #57

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

Failed fuel pump. Thought I would paint the tank and replace all the rubber fuel hose.

Two months later the tank is out of the car still, rusting on the inside and car is sitting.
+Quote Post
orangecrate
post Oct 22 2014, 11:56 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 16,394
Region Association: Southwest Region

I didn't work on it- again.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Oct 23 2014, 09:08 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 18 2014, 10:29 PM) *

Now you are a pro.

How about - "dropping the engine to replace the motor mounts only to learn that you do NOT have to drop the engine to replace the motor mounts?"

Hopefully does not turn into:
"learning that you should not support an engine on a hydraulic jack for more than a few minutes without shoring it up."
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 23 2014, 11:04 AM
Post #60

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

When I was a LOT younger, and Betty and I were still dating, she and I installed sway bars on her 914. I was welding the nut plates in the front wheel wells. I had a spark land right on the family jewels. It burned through my jeans and burned the hell out of me. I have never jumped up so fast in my life. Betty laughed at me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

One time I was pulling my 914 transmission in a friends garage, by myself, and it fell off the jack, rolling over as it did so. It then smashed the fingers on my left hand between the sharp edge of the motor mount and the concrete. Had to have stitches to both reattach the tendon in the finger, and to close up the gash. At the hospital, the nurse (think Sha
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:00 AM