Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What did you do WRONG on your 914 Today
ClayPerrine
post Oct 23 2014, 11:17 AM
Post #61

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

When I was a LOT younger, and Betty and I were still dating, she and I installed sway bars on her 914. I was welding the nut plates in the front wheel wells. I had a spark land right on the family jewels. It burned through my jeans and burned the hell out of me. I have never jumped up so fast in my life. Betty laughed at me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

One time I was pulling my 914 transmission in a friends garage, by myself, and it fell off the jack, rolling over as it did so. It then smashed the fingers on my left hand between the sharp edge of the motor mount and the concrete. Had to have stitches to both reattach the tendon in the finger, and to close up the gash. At the hospital, the nurse (think Shaq lookalike) told me to wash it out when it was numbed. I started washing, looked at him and said "This looks like chicken fat". The guy in the next ER stall heard me and that set him off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) . The nurse told me I was mean. Then I proceeded to criticize the doctor's stitches (she looked like Melissa Rauch). She threatened that she would have me kept overnight for evaluation, and she would include a prostrate exam for being a critic.

I worked on a 71 911 one time that really ate my lunch. The owner brought it in with transmission issues. I was able to fix it because I know 901 transmissions in 914s. I pulled the engine and trans, and fixed the transmission. I put it all back together, put the engine and trans back in the car, and start it up. I put it in reverse to pull out of the bay, and it goes forward. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) If you haven't figured it out, I put the differential in like a 914, not a 911. So it had 1 forward gear and 5 reverse gears. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) And this is not a 914, so I got to pull the engine and trans out again to flip the differential.

I also painted a 914 bright PURPLE with house paint and thick napped rollers. Most fun I ever had painting a car!

That is just a very short sample of the dumb things I have done with 914s over the years. And as they used to say on the Sonny and Cher show "The beat goes on."

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Oct 23 2014, 11:34 AM
Post #62

that's what I do!

Group: Members
Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Wrong??

Didn't work on it, no time.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Oct 23 2014, 11:39 AM
Post #63

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Love this thread.

Wanted to mount an amp for the stereo, years ago.
I found what I thought was a perfect hidden spot up under the dash on the passenger side.
Drilled a hole to mount it, pulled out the bit from the successful hole I drill, upside down, and gas started squirting out.

I did Learn how to pull a fuel tank in under 1 minute as a result....

+Quote Post
euro911
post Oct 23 2014, 11:52 AM
Post #64

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(pneuhyde @ Oct 22 2014, 08:55 PM) *
Is it WRONG, if you refurbish a Targa top, install new Targa top holders in the trunk,

AND THEN FIND OUT THE TRUNK LID WONT CLOSE ALL THE WAY ????????
Where is it hitting, Steve? ... front or rear?
+Quote Post
Jonathan Livesay
post Oct 23 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 11,461
Region Association: None

Wasn't there a DPO thread? I couldn't find it, but this qualifies as wrong, except I didn't do it. Really I swear. Found this on a 914 I am taking apart.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i62.tinypic.com-11461-1414088187.1.jpg)
Good workmanship on the backside.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i59.tinypic.com-11461-1414088187.2.jpg)
It is not even a genuine German gate hinge.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i60.tinypic.com-11461-1414088187.3.jpg)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Oct 23 2014, 12:25 PM
Post #66

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 23 2014, 01:52 PM) *

Is it WRONG, if you refurbish a Targa top, install new Targa top holders in the trunk,

in the picture it looks like the front is not sitting down like it should. Maybe the latches are not in the cups? the front edge of the top should be in the plastic retaing clips. if they are the top should fit fine.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 9 2014, 03:40 PM
Post #67

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

A few weeks ago the turbo 1.7 developed a fuel supply issue. I was going up hill on my way to work and lost power. I pulled over and I waited for my guy to bring the truck and trailer. I could hear the pump running but figured a clogged fuel filter or clogged pickup was restricting flow. Since the shop is super busy right now it's been about a month and I finally had time to get it up on the lift. But before I lifted it I decided I should check for a clogged pickup first. Well apparently my fuel level sender is stuck, because I peeked in the tank and THERES NO GAS!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
euro911
post Nov 9 2014, 11:25 PM
Post #68

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Doh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
pneuhyde
post Nov 10 2014, 12:01 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 3,654
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 22 2014, 08:30 PM) *

That flexible line looks too long to me. It should not drop down that far. Could you have mixed up the fronts and rears?

Oops,
Didn't see this thread pop back up.
Wasn't sure what it is supposed to look like, but I chose the shorter pair of flexible hoses that came in the kit. I didn't perceive it as a hazard area, but will look closer now.
Thanks for looking at it.
+Quote Post
pneuhyde
post Nov 10 2014, 12:20 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 3,654
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Oct 23 2014, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 23 2014, 01:52 PM) *

in the picture it looks like the front is not sitting down like it should. Maybe the latches are not in the cups? the front edge of the top should be in the plastic retaing clips. if they are the top should fit fine.

Mark/Phillip,
I had not seen your comments until tonight.
I am not sure where it was hitting as I have not got back to it yet. I have been concentrating on the interior and put the top back on to protect my work done so far. I was concerned about the latches hitting the cups awkwardly, but thought as long as it was fitted in the front holders it would be placed properly.
Thanks for looking at it
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 7 2014, 10:30 AM
Post #71

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

I replaced a small fuse block with a larger one. Then spent the next 45 min's trying to figure out why it wouldn't crank. I had re-connected the fuse block feed to a switched source and the switched source ain't going to work if it has no power. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) Once that was straightened out I noticed my backup lights are on and the engine is off. I had tied that back into a Bat+ circuit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Pendejo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burro.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:26 PM