Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> O/T gotta get a new home computer, any ideas
spare time toys
post Nov 23 2004, 12:45 PM
Post #1

hooked on grilling food.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Our home computer will just lock up and you have to shut it off to fix it or it will just shut down on its own whild you are in the midst of doing something. Last night it just died. I was on the club and the monitor went blank then it had the little flashing dash in the upper left corner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) It would not do anything else so I unplugged it. This morning I plug it in and turn it on and all it will do is show the start up screan with the processor info. Any ideas other than replacing it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) Yes im at work now posting this and will be here untill midnight. Fun Fun
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Nov 23 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248
Region Association: None

My next home computer will be a Dell. That's all we use here at work and I find them well built. Dell also has some killer sales.
+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 23 2004, 02:20 PM
Post #3

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

You may only need to replace a part or two. Fans (processor & power supply) fail over time. Power supplies fail as well. Brand name computers (Dell & HP) use custom parts and you might as well replace the whole thing. Generic computers are much more flexible, and components can be replaced or upgraded with ease. I build all my own computers. Dell does not sell units with the AMD processors, and they are the state of the art today (along with lower prices).
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 23 2004, 02:59 PM
Post #4

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

i bought a HP pavilion 6 month ago. cheap, fast and good quality ...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 23 2004, 03:20 PM
Post #5

914 Historian

Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Isn't a pavilion just a fancy tent? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 23 2004, 03:37 PM
Post #6

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Sounds like heat got to you somehow... dirty fans may as well be fanless.. if you get a blinking cursor, it sounds like disk stripping got ya.. unbootable sytem.

I build my own, but when I have done installations I have used Dell, they have nice machines, and excellent support.

M
+Quote Post
joea9146
post Nov 23 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 283

Iwould go with an HP the Dell service has really gone down hill lately
+Quote Post
seanery
post Nov 23 2004, 04:36 PM
Post #8

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

both gateway and dell have sub $400 systems right now.
For a hundred bucks more you can make it a Pentium 4 instead of the Celeron chip.
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Nov 23 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 178

I bought a new puter 2 weeks ago at fry's.
1.8gh+, 128 mb ram, 40 gig HD, modem, LAN, everything except the monitor for $179. (why does everyone keep calling me cheap?)
I stuck in an extra 512mb ram and my CDRW drive in place of the regular CD drive it came with. This thing screams. It came with lindows but I installed XP pro. For that price I can throw it away if something goes wrong.

Onliest real problem is that is has onboard video which aint quite up to radical gaming. It has a slot for an 8x AGP video card, that's next. maybe for X-mas.

Look at me, I sound like a puter wonk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Nov 23 2004, 06:56 PM
Post #10

Mahna Mahna!

Member No.: 847

I'm building and selling Shuttle XPC's. I like the small form factor and the gee whiz effect when people see them. my current machine is a SB51g with a p4 2.8GHz 1GB Ram , ATi Radeon 9800 for video, 120Gb harddrive and a 52x Cd burner. Aside from teh monitor I picked up everything for right around $500 at MicroCenter. Small fast and fun, Just like I prefer my cars!!!

My best,
Mike D.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 23 2004, 07:20 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I've never met a Windows user (non-techie) who hasn't had a computer eat itself to death at least once. I've never met a Mac user who has.

My Grandma had a Mac for about 4 or 5 years and I never went out to fix it. My aunt bought her a new Windows machine replacement that's died twice this year alone.

I'm not claiming absolute truths, all I'm saying is that from my perspective more people have a more positive experience with a Mac.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Nov 23 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #12

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Nov 23 2004, 06:20 PM)
I've never met a Windows user (non-techie) who hasn't had a computer eat itself to death at least once. I've never met a Mac user who has.

My Grandma had a Mac for about 4 or 5 years and I never went out to fix it. My aunt bought her a new Windows machine replacement that's died twice this year alone.

I'm not claiming absolute truths, all I'm saying is that from my perspective more people have a more positive experience with a Mac.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Nov 23 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #13

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

I thought Mac software is extreemly limited (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I know the kids school uses them but about stuff like turbo tax and banking???/
+Quote Post
Series9
post Nov 23 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #14

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(spare time toys @ Nov 23 2004, 06:36 PM)
I thought Mac software is extreemly limited (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I know the kids school uses them but about stuff like turbo tax and banking???/

That time is largely in the past. I've never had anything but Macs. In the past, there were some minor problems with compatibility, but for the past five years, it has become virtually seamless (IMHO). In every day use, it's FAR superior to anything else. If you have special programs you want to use on the Mac, check with your software supplier.
+Quote Post
skline
post Nov 23 2004, 08:51 PM
Post #15

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

Bring your computer (Just the tower) with you when you come up here, I can take a look at it and tell you what you need, I may even have the parts here to fix it and you can take it back with you. If not, Fry's is one offramp away from me and you could go over there and pick one up.
+Quote Post
skline
post Nov 23 2004, 08:52 PM
Post #16

Born to Drive

Oh, And if you are interested in a MAC, I have one you can look at and see if that is what you want.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Nov 23 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #17

2270 club

Member No.: 218

That new G5 iMac with the 20" widescreen flat panel is freakin awesome.
+Quote Post
MrsPnambic
post Nov 23 2004, 10:32 PM
Post #18

Indiana's Ultimate Woman and Ms Petite Midwest Woman

Member No.: 3,046

Well, since at least 95% of personal computers out there are PC's, not Mac's, of course you're gonna hear more complaints about PC's. Plus, I think on average, the people that use Mac's are much more computer savvy (not necessarily smarter... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) ), and thus less likely to kill the computer.

Why do Mac's have only one mouse button? Is it too confusing for Mac people to have more than one button? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Dell used to have great support. But I heard they sent all their tech support over to India, so you may have problemd understanding them anymore. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Yack.gif)

I'm typing this on an old 900mhz HP Pavillion, and I gotta say, I've been pleasantly surprised with it. I only got it at first b/c it was dirt cheap from an online auction (UBid) and expected to have to change out half of it in the first 6 months, but all I've done is up the memory and it still works just as good as new. Gosh, it's gotta be at least 3 yrs old now.

I agree with the suggestion to check out Gateway/HP-Compaq/Dell for cheap econobox computers. If you want something really nice, have someone here put something together for you or find a computer store (Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA and their ilk don't count) in your area that will build you one. Do you have Computer Rennaisance out near you?

If you want to buy parts and put it together, NewEgg.com has good prices and EXCELLENT customer service.
+Quote Post
skline
post Nov 23 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #19

Born to Drive

Wow, she just impressed me. Not many women say things like that. Do not go to Gateway or Dell and buy the cheap computer they offer. I can sum that up in just a few words, "You get what you pay for". The cheap computers you get from Gateway are simply EMachines. If you have not noticed, Gateway closed all their retail stores and bought out EMachines. If peopel saw what they were buying, they would not do it so retail was out for them. They now produce the same crap machines but put their name on it. They have the wrost customer service I have ever seen. I had one and they screwed me around so much I told them to keep it when I took it in for repair. Dell has outsourced even their sales now to India, they lost my vote of confidence. Michael is now must a broker more that a manufacturer. I now tell everyone to buy an HP, they are just up in NorCal and their service is still here in the states.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Nov 23 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #20

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mac
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 04:38 PM