Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Preservation over Restoration, Preservation
CTDan914
post May 6 2013, 08:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,415
Region Association: North East States

I'm looking for some pointers for preserving these 914's with out going to the point of hurting the value of a car in original condition.

I have a 75 that is in real good condition and I'd like to preserve it. What can I do to the under side and areas that might be prone to rusting.

I don't at this time want to tear it apart to restore it I'd rather preserve it and keep it as original as possible.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 6 2013, 09:16 AM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Not sure what you are looking to do here, but one thing that you may want to consider is to spray your used motor oil on the bottom of the floor pans, and other thin sheet metal, every time you change the oil.
This helps keep things like th undercoating from drying out too much, and keeping the metal covered in oil.

Aside from that, you may want to be more spcific with your questions.

rich
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post May 6 2013, 09:16 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Just keep things cleaned and don't ever drive when there's salt on the roads if you live in a northern clime. It seems that original, unrestored cars are the most desired finds these days.
+Quote Post
CTDan914
post May 7 2013, 05:13 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 6 2013, 11:16 AM) *

Not sure what you are looking to do here, but one thing that you may want to consider is to spray your used motor oil on the bottom of the floor pans, and other thin sheet metal, every time you change the oil.
This helps keep things like th undercoating from drying out too much, and keeping the metal covered in oil.

Aside from that, you may want to be more spcific with your questions.

rich

I thought about that old oil spraying thing but thought it might not be such a good idea down the road when/if I or the next owner had to cut into the car and weld new metal. I was thinking the oil soaked metal could be a fire source. I might be wrong because I have no experiance doing this kind of thing.

I guess, what I'm trying to ask is. Should I spray some kind of rust inhibitor or preserver on the bottom of the car or in area's under the car that are not treated good from the manufacture.
+Quote Post
CTDan914
post May 7 2013, 05:15 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 6 2013, 11:16 AM) *

Just keep things cleaned and don't ever drive when there's salt on the roads if you live in a northern clime. It seems that original, unrestored cars are the most desired finds these days.

Thanks George. I need to make some kind of ramps or get a lift so I can get under this car and check things out.
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 7 2013, 01:29 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I was thinking the oil soaked metal could be a fire source.

You wouldn't be doing anything different than what most of the cars are doing to themselves. Careful prep and safety are the first steps when working and welding on old cars. General welding prep (cleaning to good metal) will usually put the flammable pieces far enough away from the heat source. And when they do flare up, it's not like a gasoline fire. They burn slow enough that you can just blow it out or spray it with water. Seam sealer catches on fire all the time. I also make sure I stick around for an hour after I finish welding anything so I can smell/see if a fire sparks up.
+Quote Post
CTDan914
post May 7 2013, 01:34 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(McMark @ May 7 2013, 03:29 PM) *

I was thinking the oil soaked metal could be a fire source.

You wouldn't be doing anything different than what most of the cars are doing to themselves. Careful prep and safety are the first steps when working and welding on old cars. General welding prep (cleaning to good metal) will usually put the flammable pieces far enough away from the heat source. And when they do flare up, it's not like a gasoline fire. They burn slow enough that you can just blow it out or spray it with water. Seam sealer catches on fire all the time. I also make sure I stick around for an hour after I finish welding anything so I can smell/see if a fire sparks up.

Sounds good, I didn't think of it like that. Thanks for the info.
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post May 7 2013, 06:50 PM
Post #8

B-)

Member No.: 4,907
Region Association: Northern California

Cool, turns out my 914 is preserving itself. I just need to drive backwards more often to get that oil on the front half too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 08:15 PM