Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Carb enrichment thingy, Howz it work
Joe Ricard
post Nov 26 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #1

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Group: Members
Member No.: 92

I was going through my boxes of parts again from the DAPO. Found these 40 IDF enrichment plates. Now these are cool. Whats it take to put them on and is it worth the hassle. My 44's are SOOOOO cold blooded.
Whats the rig up for a cable. Maybe some vent ducting actuator (push pull)cables.

Anybody ever use them???
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Reiche
post Nov 27 2004, 01:18 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,934

I hooked them up on my friend's 44 IDFs. It was a pain but worth it. Unfortunately it wasn't a particular elegant or well-engineered solution. My inspiration was the e-brake setup, since it also takes a single cable and splits it to two separate cables.

I used a some bicycle derailleur cables, housing and ferrules (I owned a bike shop at the time.) Inside the car I used a spare heater lever mounted on the top side of the center console. I snaked it behind the dash and out through a small hole the PO had drilled in the firewall (purpose unknown.)
Inside the engine compartment I had to split the cable so it could go to each carb. I did this by making a small "box" out of some thin steel bar plate that was stiff enough not to deform too much when the cable was pulled. This was screwed to the body. On the ends of the cable housing I used ferrules with "nipples" on them that sat in holes I drilled in the bar.
Inside the "box" I had the "in" cable pull on a small bar that the "out" cables were attached to. I had to buy some barrel-shaped cable-end stops to attach to the cut ends of the cables. Each "out" cable then was routed to a carb.
If you want I can attempt a pictorial representation.

Pulling the lever made cold starting MUCH easier.

With more fabrication skill I think something much more elegant could be easily made. All I used was a vise and a Makita drill.
+Quote Post
DJsRepS
post Nov 27 2004, 06:47 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,060

good job Mgiver
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 27 2004, 07:00 AM
Post #4

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I was thinking of something very similar. There seems to be a difference in the carbs also 2 little jet looking things that get actuated by the cams in the enrichment box. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I will carefully see if they come out.

I also feel the need to rig these up to a DA light (dumb ass) so I remember to turn them off. That would be terrible to drive around washing cylinders with gas. Bet the gas milage would really suck then.

I thank you and my nieghbors thank you all. The car is pretty loud as it gasps for life early in the morning.
+Quote Post
Reiche
post Nov 27 2004, 05:30 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,934

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Nov 27 2004, 05:00 AM)
I also feel the need to rig these up to a DA light (dumb ass) so I remember to turn them off.   That would be terrible to drive around washing cylinders with gas.  Bet the gas milage would really suck then.

That's a good idea. If you use a heater control lever like I did, you could run it right off the aux fan contacts.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 06:10 AM