Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering Wheel Wobble at Speed, I'm out of ideas
Sandy Teener
post Aug 12 2016, 10:53 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,120
Region Association: None

QUOTE(colingreene @ Aug 12 2016, 07:33 PM) *

I put Lotus Joes car on a lift and checked all of it for play. none to be found.

I have a 73 and the rims didn't seat fully because the bore out for the hub centric front wheel was 1/16" too shallow. Everything was tight with the suspension, and the wheels and tires balanced multiple times. When the wheels get bolted on they are slightly off resulting in a wobble from 60 to 70 mph. If you get it on a rack, see if the wheel is seated to the rim all the way around and you cant slip a piece of paper in there. A set of wheel spacers for the front wheels and longer studs worked for mine. Good luck!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sandy Teener
post Aug 12 2016, 10:54 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 19,120
Region Association: None

QUOTE(colingreene @ Aug 12 2016, 07:33 PM) *

I put Lotus Joes car on a lift and checked all of it for play. none to be found.

I have a 73 and the rims didn't seat fully because the bore out for the hub centric front wheel was 1/16" too shallow. Everything was tight with the suspension, and the wheels and tires balanced multiple times. When the wheels get bolted on they are slightly off resulting in a wobble from 60 to 70 mph. If you get it on a rack, see if the wheel is seated to the rim all the way around and you cant slip a piece of paper in there. A set of wheel spacers for the front wheels and longer studs worked for mine. Good luck!
+Quote Post
mzapisek
post Aug 13 2016, 08:10 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 2,188
Region Association: North East States

OK underneath the car and everything looks good - nothing loose. I was thinking I might raise the front end slightly to see if the geometry had gotten to low. Are the change lever and adjusting screw for the torsion bars supposed to be loose when not under load? I have a midrise lift (love it) as i went to adjust the height I could easily turn the bolt by hand and could also slide both change levers laterally. Is this normal when there is no load on the suspension? Seems odd that that lateral movement seemed to mimick the swaying motion I was feeling on the road. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Aug 13 2016, 12:49 PM
Post #44

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

If you drive over a set of railroad tracks, or like, does the steering wheel shudder back and forth? You might be experiencing bump steer.
+Quote Post
mzapisek
post Aug 13 2016, 06:25 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 2,188
Region Association: North East States

Disconnected one drop link as others have advised. Indexed the adjustment screws so I had maximum adjustment available. Reset ride height (was a little to low) reattached drop link. I was surprised how much lighter the steering became. This is a GT clone and I'm running 225's up front. Big improvement. Majority of swaying has also been eliminated. Not sure if it was the ride height, preload on the sway bar or both but things are much improved. Thanks for the help.

Will get the car aligned this week to be safe.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 04:35 AM