Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> rear calipers
marks914
post Nov 27 2004, 07:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,912
Region Association: None

I am trying to get my rear calipers rebuilt on my early 72. The prices are outrageous ($170 per caliper!) does anyone konw if any year rear caliper will work? I also have heard that front calipers will work on the rear (no e-brake though). does it have to be an early caliper or late?
I am in the middle of switching to five lug. Heres the situation: I have SC front struts/ brakes. I could remove the BMW 320 calpiers on the fronts now and put them on the rear. I would like to go stock in the rear but over $300 for calipers, thats crazy.

How difficult is it to rebuild the rear calipers?

Thanks All
Mark
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 27 2004, 07:25 AM
Post #2

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Rebuild is fairly straight forward. Just a few things you need to be aware of in the adjustment screws for venting. I always look in the book to get it straight. Pistons don't just pop out like the fronts. the screw out and if memory serves it is backwards thread.

Then it is just a few seals and put them back together.
Once you have done this setting venting clearance makes more sense.

2nd yes you can put stock 914/4 front on the back and yes that takes away your parking brake. The difference is 1/8 inch to get the caliper cenered on the rotor if you use a late caliper. Early calipers bolt right on.

This is up to you and if done wrong you could die or kill someone else. Brake bias is essential and critical. You really don't want to over brake the rears.
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Nov 27 2004, 07:59 AM
Post #3

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Hi Mark,

I'm just finishing up a rebuild on one of my rear calipers (also a 72, but I think all years are the same). Got the re-build kit from AA (not a plug--but they were the only ones that had the o-rings for the adjusters).

Not too bad a job--I've got a copy of an old issue of European Car that gives step-by-step instructions with pictures.

I'll try to scan a copy, and will let you know here if it works.

Best,

Steve A-
+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 27 2004, 08:02 AM
Post #4

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

I have rebuilt about 20 rear calipers over the years. They can be a real bitch to do. Getting them apart can be difficult. Getting any parts is very expensive; have you looked at the prices of the kits available? I usually figure about 5 hours to rebuild one. For many years I have charged $150 exchange for the rears ( and $50 for the fronts). I don't know if I can keep it at that level much longer. So far I have been able to reuse pistons, however there are two varieties and my stock of good pistons is running low. If I have to start buying pistons, you can imagine the price will go up dramatically. The adjuster gear that is often missing is also unobtainable. If the cores come with the adjusters, they go out with them. If not, they only get one. These will not last forever either.

I look on brakes as cheap insurance. As Joe says, it could be your funeral, or someone elses. Brake swapping is very popular, but you have to build it as a balanced system. You can't just throw on whatever you have. The 914 is very sensitive, and you can spin in the blink of an eye. That is the reason for the proportioning valve in the 914 design in the first place. The factory tuned the system with that valve. You can be sure a lot of engineering and testing went into it. If they could have cut the cost of the valve, you can be sure they would have since the car cost the factory far too much in the first place.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Nov 27 2004, 08:27 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I just finished rebuilding my rears....including the o-rings for the brake adjusters. Got my kits from Dave at GPR. They were not that expensive. You have to ask for not only the brake rebuild kit..but the o-rings also (sold them separate).

Hardest part of rebuilding the rings is getting the internal c-clip in out. First one I tried using the screwdrivers trick as outlined in the PP bulletin. Forget that it's frustrating as all get out. I went down and got a inner/outer c-clip tool and made the job alot easier.

Brakes are like new now! It's not difficult, just time consuming.
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Nov 27 2004, 09:29 AM
Post #6

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137

Check your local FLAPS. A-1 cardone a remanufacter does the rear calipers. When I got mine they were around $100 exchange. Advance in Warren can get em.See this link
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Nov 27 2004, 11:17 AM
Post #7

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

Searched on the site mentioned above, can someone tell my what loaded vs unloaded means.

thx
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Nov 27 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #8

Believe everything I post

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 35

Loaded includes all hardware and brakes pads.
+Quote Post
marks914
post Nov 27 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,912

Thanks
For 100 bucks with the hardware and pads, its worth it.
Mark
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Nov 27 2004, 09:19 PM
Post #10

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137

Does not include pads or hardware. Also need to switch brake cable arm off old caliper but still worth it. At least when I got mine 3 yrs ago.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 28 2004, 02:07 AM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Great step by step. Ferrari 308s had nearly identical calipers on them. The only difference you'll notice is the spacers that go in between the caliper halves to fit a thicker rotor.

308 Caliper Rebuild
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:40 AM