Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> buildin the exhaust myself, hmmm, sell two hundred @ 200.00??
Jake Raby
post Nov 28 2004, 01:00 PM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Keep in mind that the TI engine is MUCHO more efficient for Turbocharging than the TIV! The exhaust port of the TI flows MORE than the intake, this is 100% opposite of the TIV!

Having a Turbo head that flows less out the exhaust than the intake is a big cjhallenge for Turbo since heat energy as well as exhaust pressure make a huge difference in the efficiency of the Turbo arrangement.

Yes, it all can be done but there are MANY more challenges to doing it flawlessly than anyone here could imagine.

With all the talk of Turbo lately I have designed 3 different Turbo combos and two of them are very affordable and based on smaller engines. I have done all 3 of these in the past for 914 as well as beetle Turbo applications with positive results. I just put them to the wayside to concentrate on my middle of the road N/A powerplants a few years ago. Now that all those are perfected I'm ready to go back to some Turbo work especially since everyone is talking so much about it lately- they might actually spend some money on something if I can make it easier to do! imagine that!

In 2005 the entire TIV engine will get easier and cheaper to work on and modify! The parts to do things yourself as well as the directives to do so will be extremely easier to get and mucho more data will be shared...

BTW, the stock FI system cannot be upgraded till you get rid of that friggin brain that is so old THAT GOD HIMSELF COULD HAVE DESIGNED IT! I HAVE SEEN LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF ENGINES DIE EXPENSIVE DEATHS BECAUSE OF THAT DAMN SYSTEM! WHY DO YOU THINK WE HAD SO MANY DROPPED SEATS IN THE EARLY YEARS??

The Kit Carlson EMS will solve those issues as soon as its available(very soon) and its Turbo compatible.

The first key that any Turbocharging enthusiast MUST realize is that the design of this engine is about as far from a Type I as they come in headflow- don't use the TI as any sort of platform- I made that mistake for years!

with all this being said, there is a need for Turbo exhaust systems, BUT the design of those stub pipes are so important to headflow on the exhaust side that it will blow your mind on the flowbench! All the Turbo stuff I will be doing will use a vanagon square port heads for sealing purposes as well as the better design of the short side of the exhaust port. This will increase port volume and velocity under the seat and removes turbulance. with our Hybrid 7mm stem valved, vanagon heads with 2.0 chambers and plug locations Turbo will be much more effective!

Development is here guys, hold on to your hats next year!

BTW, build a Turbo exhaust and I'll buy 3 tomorrow! If you want development work we can work out a trade.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Nov 28 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #22

Sooo Close.......

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 28 2004, 11:00 AM)
Keep in mind that the TI engine is MUCHO more efficient for Turbocharging than the TIV! The exhaust port of the TI flows MORE than the intake, this is 100% opposite of the TIV!

Having a Turbo head that flows less out the exhaust than the intake is a big cjhallenge for Turbo since heat energy as well as exhaust pressure make a huge difference in the efficiency of the Turbo arrangement.

Yes, it all can be done but there are MANY more challenges to doing it flawlessly than anyone here could imagine.

With all the talk of Turbo lately I have designed 3 different Turbo combos and two of them are very affordable and based on smaller engines. I have done all 3 of these in the past for 914 as well as beetle Turbo applications with positive results. I just put them to the wayside to concentrate on my middle of the road N/A powerplants a few years ago. Now that all those are perfected I'm ready to go back to some Turbo work especially since everyone is talking so much about it lately- they might actually spend some money on something if I can make it easier to do! imagine that!

In 2005 the entire TIV engine will get easier and cheaper to work on and modify! The parts to do things yourself as well as the directives to do so will be extremely easier to get and mucho more data will be shared...

BTW, the stock FI system cannot be upgraded till you get rid of that friggin brain that is so old THAT GOD HIMSELF COULD HAVE DESIGNED IT! I HAVE SEEN LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF ENGINES DIE EXPENSIVE DEATHS BECAUSE OF THAT DAMN SYSTEM! WHY DO YOU THINK WE HAD SO MANY DROPPED SEATS IN THE EARLY YEARS??

The Kit Carlson EMS will solve those issues as soon as its available(very soon) and its Turbo compatible.

The first key that any Turbocharging enthusiast MUST realize is that the design of this engine is about as far from a Type I as they come in headflow- don't use the TI as any sort of platform- I made that mistake for years!

with all this being said, there is a need for Turbo exhaust systems, BUT the design of those stub pipes are so important to headflow on the exhaust side that it will blow your mind on the flowbench! All the Turbo stuff I will be doing will use a vanagon square port heads for sealing purposes as well as the better design of the short side of the exhaust port. This will increase port volume and velocity under the seat and removes turbulance. with our Hybrid 7mm stem valved, vanagon heads with 2.0 chambers and plug locations Turbo will be much more effective!

Development is here guys, hold on to your hats next year!

BTW, build a Turbo exhaust and I'll buy 3 tomorrow! If you want development work we can work out a trade.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Jake my man you are on--Let Hoffman do the heads---You are obviously competent with the bottom end....

My area of expertise for the last 15 years is aircraft turbine engines--which IS what a turbo is---a tiny turbine engine feeding the thirst of the much more hungry recip engine. It is sooo important that all the variables on all three sides of this equation balance : flow, velocity, pressure losses, ---etc.

You would be absolutely amazed (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) at how a 7 degree taper, whether in, or out, at precisley the right point in the pipe can move the flow and velocity to a greater level than that is what is actually produced from the gasses leaving the exhaust seats. This is turbine design 101 for us aviation dudes. And that is precisely why when you see one of our mighty fighter jets having those movable exhaust tips in action, that is what they are doing--allowing the forces that leave the pipe ( the component valid for 85% of the thrust the engine developes) to actually bring that thrust to a much greater level with negligble effects on the engine CORE!!!

I want to take that gulf that exists, the " non-implementation " of lessons learned in fluid dynamics, in both the auto and aviation community, that is NOT SHARED INFO!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

If you are serious, and want to talk, I am all ears---'05 911 twin turbo be damned---get 275+ reliable ponies from a 2000 pound car, able to sustain at least 20 mpg off turbo, and even the mighty lambo better watch out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

It CAN be done...we see it happing everyday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 10:07 PM