Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> COLLISION - All fixed!, Original owner - 50k mile car
tomeric914
post Sep 20 2013, 08:00 PM
Post #41

One Lap of America in a 914!

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

ok, let's see, next was to get the whole fender off and start fitting the new one. I decided not to take it all the way off and instead set it up to butt weld near the top of the sail. That way I wouldn't disturb the original vinyl across the roll bar or get into major disassembly within the roll bar area.

Attached Image

That's when more rust discovery happened. There was a rust hole at the rear base of the inner sail and the beginnings of rust through under the vinyl.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Which was fixed and coated inside and out with metal.

Attached Image

An interesting little detail is the little tab that lines up with the hole in the fender to hold the aluminum trim down, also near the rear base of the sail.

Then trim and fit the new fender for the first time.

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Sep 20 2013, 08:21 PM
Post #42

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

Hmm, unfortunately I didn't take any more pictures beyond those below after I had spot welded the fender on like the factory did.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Even after the damage that the car sustained, the door alignment was right on. I left the damaged door on to check fitment and alignment, then stripped the good used door and checked it for alignment. Everything fit and shut correctly.

A HUGE amount of thanks to Rob914 for selling my client his NOS fender that he had squirreled away. I couldn't have repaired the car without it.

Also thanks to bdstone914 for selling me the rust free door. There were some hidden surprises under the many layers of paint that took some time to repair, but that was to be expected of a used door.
+Quote Post
johannes
post Sep 21 2013, 12:51 AM
Post #43

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

Great job ! and thak you for sharing all the details.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 07:52 PM