Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Educate me!, Trying to find out more about the 914
Zaphod
post Nov 28 2004, 05:13 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,184

I've recently become curious about the Porsche 914. I had always thought they were cool cars, and it sounds like it'd be neat to own one, so I've been lurking around the boards here for the last week or so, and have run into a lot of technical talk about carbs vs fuel injection, rust repair, and any number of other topics, most of which only managed to go slightly to the side of my head, rather than right over it.

I'm wondering if it's possible to buy a 914 (it seems the '73 2.0 is the one that's most highly recommended?) at a reasonable price and *not* have it be a complete rustbucket. Presuming one can find such a car, what kind of ongoing expenses does owning a 914 guarantee you'll incur, and could one be reliable enough to drive daily as my primary transportation (presumably storing for the winter, as I live in Minnesota, and wouldn't want to cause it to rust) ?

Finally, while I've been very curious about them for quite a while, I've never actually gotten to drive one. Everybody here seems to rave about them non-stop (obviously). I wonder if there's any way to test drive one in the Minneapolis area so that I'll have a way to form an opinion of my own rather than simply relying on what others have said it's like to drive the car.

At first glance, 95 HP sounds a little underpowered, even for a car that only weighs in at a little over 2000 pounds - does it feel underpowered with the stock engine, or is it just that the sports cars that I've driven in the past have been closer to 3000-ish pounds/227 horsepower (Nissan 300ZX) that's throwing me off?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Nov 28 2004, 06:31 AM
Post #2

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

Hi Zaphod. Welcome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) There is no fair way to compare a modern sports car like the 300ZX with a 914. It is a completely different feeling and attitude. You are not going to win any drag races in a stock 914. Get one on some twisty roads and you will see what they do best. Now if you want to put a 3+ liter 6 or a V8 in one that is a whole different story. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Watch for cars for sale in your area. That's a good way to get a free test ride. If you are serious about buying one, the more cars you look at, the better off you will be. Plus it will be much easier to know the right one when you see it.

It is certainly possible to find a reliable one to use as a daily driver. Your best bet would be one that has been recently restored or a nice original car. For $5K you should be able to find a good one. Buy the nicest one you can afford. You will be $'s ahead in the long run.
+Quote Post
JoeSharpOld
post Nov 28 2004, 07:32 AM
Post #3

Does it seem cold to you

Member No.: 2,001

Welcome to the club. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) What he said. I found a good source to collector car at trader mag on line, can't remember the address right now. They always have about 60 to 80 914s listed.
Joe
+Quote Post
aveale
post Nov 28 2004, 07:33 AM
Post #4

Fun Times

Member No.: 2,563

If you are going to go look at one, and are unfamiliar you have a few options...

1- bring someone who knows about these vehicles
2- become someone who knows about these vehicles

There is so much info. on the 914 on the net at your disposal.

Good luck!

T
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 28 2004, 11:17 AM
Post #5

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Stay away from 914s, they are expensive, and rusty.

Go on, git! Don't let me catch you around here anymore.

Go!

M
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Nov 28 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #6

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

First off Miles is here for our amuzement, don't pay much attention to him.

To add to what others have said so far, I would watch the classifieds here on top of other classified sites. If you get a car that has been a club members you may at least know some of the history behind it. Here is a link to what i think Joe was referring to

Collector Car Trader

When you find a car that you are interested in post questions and pics here for others to check out.

As far as being underpowered for a sportscar... When I got my 1.7 running good enough to drive I was amazed and had a blast, but I will be putting a 2.0 4cly in this winter. I did get a chance last weekent to drive a club members 3.0 6cyl and let me tell you it was awsome. If I had the cash I would seriously consider that option.

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the club.

Sean
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 28 2004, 11:33 AM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 28 2004, 09:17 AM)
Stay away from 914s, they are expensive, and rusty.

don't listen to the monkey head ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

i agree with what has been said so far, finding a car for sale in your area might be your best bet to get a test drive.
as for a solid car, it seems cars from CA and AZ have the least issues with rust, but rust *IS* a major concern when buying a 914.
everything else can be fixed fairly easy.

the 2.0L with 95 HP is a very quick car and they all handle very well on twisty roads.

just keep in mind that they are 30 year old cars. they always need some level of attention.

and every time i take her out for a spin, she puts a BIG grin on my face!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
ben914
post Nov 28 2004, 03:00 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,178

I agree with aveale. I really wish I'd known more before I bought mine, especially about where rust likes to hide (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
I couldn't tell you about the engine though -- don't have one, never did, never will -- but I can tell you that I'll have about 240ft-lb of torque when I'm done (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
plas76targa
post Nov 28 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1,700
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Zaphod,

Welcome to the board! As others told me when I posted a note similar to yours after I "joined" - you've already done one good thing by researching the web board and especially joining this one!

I recommend some reading - check the books section on the bird board or other mail order parts suppliers. You can find some excellent resources on the 914 there. I found an How to Upgrade and Restore your 914 book that did a great job of providing information about the 914. .. and I've learned a great deal by just watching this board and using the search function.

I also agree - buy the best you can find for the money, try your best to be patient and look at several cars before you settle on "the one". When you find that special car then most importantly get a qualified shop to do a pre purchase inspection before you agree to buy! Never know what lurking problems are in a 30 year old car.

One thing really great about this board is the willingness to help - if you find a car that is not close by - you might just find a member close enough to go take a look for you.

Good luck on your search, and we're all looking forward to seeing pictures when you're successful.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 28 2004, 10:36 PM
Post #10

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

Z, Welcome on board.

I would PM a local club member and get a ride.
I 100% agree with the, buy the best you can afford, concept.

Unless you are looking for a project car, get one that is a runner. Avoid any serious structural rust like the plague.

I bought one that didn't need any mechanical work...Or so I thought. You can always upgrade something. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Nov 28 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #11

Is winter done yet?

Member No.: 1,082

Hi Zaphod (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) ,
I live in St. Anthony Park. Unfortunatly my 914 has been put away for the winter or i'd offer you a test drive in it to see what you think. There are a couple very friendly 914 autocrossers in the area and we are always looking for new memebers. If you ever want to chat 914's or (weather permitting) enjoy the finer aspect of them, just drop me a line.

David
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Nov 28 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #12

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I blame my brother-n-law for getting me hooked (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif) Hadn't thought about a 914 until he said he had one, then threw me a Haynes repair manual & said "here, do some light reading"..... After going thru the manual one Saturday I had to get a driving experience. It's been down hill ever since. You will either love it or.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

......b
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 28 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #13

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif) Buy the best car you can afford. Keep it out of the snow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Nov 28 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 28 2004, 09:33 AM)
the 2.0L with 95 HP is a very quick car

I've never understood how people can say this with a straight face. there are literally no modern cars on the road slower than a stock 914 2.0.

I once drag raced my gf in her '88 range rover 3.9L (one of the slowest SUV's ever!) and it was neck and neck.

yes, the 914 will handle well.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 28 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #15

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(vortrex @ Nov 28 2004, 09:10 PM)
I've never understood how people can say this with a straight face. there are literally no modern cars on the road slower than a stock 914 2.0.

learn how to drive ...
if you think 95 HP in a 914 can't be fast, you don't know how to drive.

yes, you won't win a drag-race against a new viper, but i promise you, i can outrun almost ANY modern car on a twisty road.

even off the line and with my old 1.8L there were very few cars that would pull me on the first 30 feet.

it's all in your head dude ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Nov 28 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 4

LOL
+Quote Post
anthony
post Nov 29 2004, 01:29 AM
Post #17

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

My 4 cylinder Toyota truck would crush my 914 in a 0-30 drag race. Straight line acceleration though isn't everything.
+Quote Post
Zaphod
post Nov 29 2004, 11:13 AM
Post #18

Thanks to Sean for the link, I'm checking that site out right now.

To David: I'd absolutely love the opportunity to actually ride in and/or drive a 914 - gotta see what it's about firsthand in order to know whether it's worth the trouble of finding one that isn't already in the clutches of somebody who'll never give it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Much like yours though, I expect all the others in the twin cities area to be in storage now, since we just got that first snow of the year, so I imagine I'll have to wait until spring to seriously consider buying one. Of course, that leaves more time to do research and get well acquainted with where the problem areas to look for in the cars are and all that stuff.

I suppose it's weird that I'm looking into buying a car that's about 5 years older than I am, but hey, everything I've ever heard says they're a blast. Hm, speaking of age, anybody got a ballpark idea what insurance runs on a 914 for a 26 year old male with no accidents and no tickets on his record?
+Quote Post
Zaphod
post Nov 29 2004, 11:18 AM
Post #19

Oof, collectorcartraderonline.com had *0* 914s within 250 miles of me! Sounds like this search might be difficult. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
aveale
post Nov 29 2004, 11:19 AM
Post #20

Fun Times

Member No.: 2,563

insurance for the car is cheap b/c it is not worth very much.

you will only have it insured for liability for the summer (6 months) and damage over the winter.

I am about the same age - maybe a little older-, and I pay about 30$ US a month when I use it and 2$ (seriously) a month when it is stored!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 09:26 PM