Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More Car Selling Traps! Worse than the Wire!, Buyer Beware!
mharrison
post Nov 28 2004, 10:06 AM
Post #1

Why do I bother????

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,123

I found this on a Security Forum that I subscribe to:

If It Sounds Too Good To Be True...

We received a report from a reader who found a little more than he bargained for when looking for a cheap used car. It appears that some rather unsavory characters are posting "deals" online that carry some surprises. When you go to look at photos of your "ride-to-be", the seller tells you "please check the pictures on the file. Are packed with WinZip SelfExtract , I don't have much space in this free host and I can put the on the server. After you download it, if you open the file will ask you where to unpack the files."

Uh... sure...

The executable packs a bit more than some candid photos of your dream car. It carries a version of the QHosts trojan which makes changes to your hosts file pointing domain names for various escrow services to a specific IP address. The seller then insists that to "safeguard" the transaction, an escrow service must be used. Care to guess the rest?

Moral of the story: If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Don't Let This Happen To You

Another reader pointed out a different scam. This time, the victim receives an email claiming that their credit card has been charged. The victim is given a link to view their "invoice." While none of this is new, the almost overwhelming barrage of exploit attempts at the other end of the "invoice" link was astounding. The victim's machine is hit with three different exploit attempts, targeting different vulnerabilities. It appears that some piece of dirt out there is an over-achiever.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
xsboost90
post Nov 28 2004, 10:20 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,432

NEWMAN!
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Nov 28 2004, 10:34 AM
Post #3

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

I am so F***ing tired of getting emails telling me that my account needs to be updated or ones that say please click on this link or else your internet service will be terminated. I think the most I get is earthlink look alike.

These guys can all :finger2: :finger2:
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 12:04 PM