Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914/6 fan belt, Deflection
bcheney
post Jun 2 2013, 04:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,348
Region Association: South East States

Since you cannot see the belt welll enough to measure deflection after reinstalling what is the best way to be sure you have the tension correct? I installed my alternator today...left one shim between the pulley halfs and 5 on the outside. I tightened everything down and fired her up. The voltmeter shows just over 14 volts now. I turned it off and tightened the nut a bit more and made sure the belt was seated properly. The belt feels a bit loose...I can twist it between my fingers a half turn. Do you think I am good to go or should I move all shims to the outside and see if that seems to feel better?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Jun 2 2013, 04:47 PM
Post #2

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188
Region Association: None

I always make sure I can push the belt in about 1/2in. halfway between the pulleys. This is a little like the front-wheel spindle nut. It's a feel thing and not an exact science. But it is why I've cut a really big access panel into the firewall. Life is better now. I did it without the panel for lots of years, not that it happens very often. Sucks. Especially at night on a lonely road.
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jun 2 2013, 05:44 PM
Post #3

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bcheney @ Jun 2 2013, 03:36 PM) *

Since you cannot see the belt welll enough to measure deflection after reinstalling what is the best way to be sure you have the tension correct? I installed my alternator today...left one shim between the pulley halfs and 5 on the outside. I tightened everything down and fired her up. The voltmeter shows just over 14 volts now. I turned it off and tightened the nut a bit more and made sure the belt was seated properly. The belt feels a bit loose...I can twist it between my fingers a half turn. Do you think I am good to go or should I move all shims to the outside and see if that seems to feel better?

1/4 " flex for every foot axle to axle with A and B belts
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
larryM
post Jun 2 2013, 10:41 PM
Post #4

emoze

Member No.: 65
Region Association: Northern California

if too loose, it will make a slapping noise at higher rpm, and it may also squeal if you have a really heavy electrical load on it

generally it will feel "too tight" when it's right, compared to what you expect in your Chevy and what the "general repair" books say

dunno about your "twist test" - that's not how deflection is measured

13.8-14.2 V is what it should put out - all the time
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:15 AM