Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Headlight Improvement Options, Any Ideas other Than Halogen
Mblizzard
post Jun 5 2013, 12:35 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

I have looked around a bit but have not found any real options for replacing the stock dim 914 headlights with bulbs that are a real improvement. The halogens are out there but while they are an improvement, they can overwork the wiring. Before I go down the road of running wires and or relays I was wondering if there were any other options?

I have seen some HID kits but they all have external ballasts. I would like to find a HID light that had an internal ballast that fits in the stock headlight that does not require new wiring. Or at the minimum, a light with better output that would not overwork the wiring. The only brighter light I have found that is not $$$ is the Sylvania H6024 Silver Star.

Ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
messix
post Jun 5 2013, 12:45 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I use Sylvania xtravison. and am happy with them. I run a fog pattern for the fog/driving light to spread a wide pattern around corners.
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Jun 5 2013, 05:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,147
Region Association: None

I am looking at these, but they aren't cheap...

LED headlights
+Quote Post
effutuo101
post Jun 5 2013, 05:59 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,914
Region Association: Southern California

Use the wireing circuit to contol a relay.
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jun 5 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

There are certainly a lot of options but non of them seemed to be what I want. I have a HID light for my bicycle that is as bright as any car light and it has an internal ballast. It is simple and clean. There doesn't seem to be a comparable drop in HID light that ism available. So I just went with the halogen bulbs. Better but not the greatest.
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jun 5 2013, 06:31 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

We put an HID kit on our F-150 which works pretty well. Got a H4 kit for the 914 but the bulb was too big and long and wouldn't clear the headlight cover itself and stuck back too far...
So going the 100W bulb and relay route. Wiring seems to be a hassle but will hopefully be worth it.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jun 5 2013, 07:14 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

I have HIDs on my 914 and I LOVE THEM. I would never go back to stock unless I had an original car.

I used el cheapo housings off of Ebay and got my HID kit from a supplier. If you're interested, I'll find the details for you.

The only permanent modification was a little bit of cutting on the headlight bucket to allow the harness to fit correctly. It's a tight fit, but it works.

Yes, there are external ballasts, but those I fitted to the fenderwell with velcro. The wiring was pretty much plug and play and I could reverse the whole installation if needed.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jun 5 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jun 5 2013, 06:14 PM) *
I have HIDs on my 914 and I LOVE THEM. I would never go back to stock unless I had an original car.

I used el cheapo housings off of Ebay and got my HID kit from a supplier. If you're interested, I'll find the details for you.

The only permanent modification was a little bit of cutting on the headlight bucket to allow the harness to fit correctly. It's a tight fit, but it works.

Yes, there are external ballasts, but those I fitted to the fenderwell with velcro. The wiring was pretty much plug and play and I could reverse the whole installation if needed.

Tell me more ... And pics ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jun 5 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 5 2013, 09:47 PM) *

Tell me more ... And pics ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I'll do you one better - I'll take some GoPro video as well as some pics of the setup.

I'll try to get out for a night drive tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't have any before pics, so you'll just have to judge for yourself.
+Quote Post
dale73914
post Jun 5 2013, 09:28 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,562
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

I'd love to see this too, the headlights in mine are woeful.
And i'm also used to HID's now, so it makes it seem worse than it peobably really is.....

Cheers

Dale
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jun 5 2013, 09:52 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,732

I'd love to see a HID kit that fits... the bulbs that came with my kit were WAY too long to fit...
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Jun 6 2013, 07:28 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 9,147

I'd love to see how you controlled the beam pattern. HID's aren't made to slip into a H4 housing. Most of the kits have no upper cutoff point so they blind oncoming traffic.

Also, do you still have high beams?
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jun 6 2013, 07:56 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Some of the HIDs are bi-Xeon which have the high low beams. Some of the others only have one setting.

I did not find a set up that was available that addresses all of the issues like beam pattern. Well there were some but the cost was out of this world.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Jun 6 2013, 08:11 AM
Post #14

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

I may get flamed for this but i found these to be a huge improvement over the sealed beams. Purchased through Ebay, some are better than others, look for the ones that have glass lens with metal housings.

H4 EURO STYLE HEADLIGHTS WITH CITY LIGHTS

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-H6024-6014-H4-EU...793&vxp=mtr
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Jun 6 2013, 09:09 AM
Post #15

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

Geez, I found the Hella H4's, even with the 65/55 bulbs, so much better than sealed beams I've never even thought of going for anything else. That said...

It's a cool idea to use LED's just for the power savings. More light and immensely less power? No contest there for a non-concours car. But since my 993 alternator isn't working very hard yet, I'll wait for those to come down a bit.

Now, if we could come up with some kind of magical solution against rock damage for all of these lights I'd be excited.
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jun 6 2013, 09:48 AM
Post #16

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

The cheap ass improper install HID's that blind other drivers totally fucking piss me off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Just last night I had a guy behind me and I was so blinded I had turn my all my rear view mirrors.
I then let him pass and I totally lit his fucking ass up. I could tell he was annoyed as he was all over the road. He tried to speed up/slow down, I just stayed on his ass. He then took the next exit.

I don't care if you don't like this, cocksucker deserved it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

In case you didn't get the hint, illegally bright/incorrectly aimed headlights really piss me off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jun 6 2013, 10:36 AM
Post #17

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 6 2013, 08:48 AM) *

The cheap ass improper install HID's that blind other drivers totally fucking piss me off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Just last night I had a guy behind me and I was so blinded I had turn my all my rear view mirrors.
I then let him pass and I totally lit his fucking ass up. I could tell he was annoyed as he was all over the road. He tried to speed up/slow down, I just stayed on his ass. He then took the next exit.

I don't care if you don't like this, cocksucker deserved it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

In case you didn't get the hint, illegally bright/incorrectly aimed headlights really piss me off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

And the same people are also busy sending a text about some totally trivial subject when they rear end you and total your car.

John
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Jun 6 2013, 10:53 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,509
Region Association: North East States

Aftermarket HID's are illegal and any cop with 1/2 a brain is going to know that
when he stops a 1970's era car with Serious lights. It is just giving them a reason
to stop you to look you over.
I run those HID's in my wife's Audi A4, but that car at least had HIDS's as an option
and I'll just say they are Factory Installed and play stupid.

Best thing for a 914 without drawing too much attention from the cops
is a set of HIGH WATT Halogens with the proper relays...
As in" Feed the main power right off the battery"
I run 100 watt low beams with 135 High beams on my motorcycle
and I don't overdrive them or blind oncoming traffic..
+Quote Post
messix
post Jun 6 2013, 10:54 AM
Post #19

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You.guys. with the tottaly woefull head lights.... Have you checked the voltage at the light? Have you cleaned all connections and splices in the harness up to the lights? Corrosion at these connections will cause a high resistance that will SAP the light output. Try cleaning it up and using a good sealbeam dot light and you might be surprised.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jun 6 2013, 11:02 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

I can understand that argument for sure. There are a couple things that I considered before using them.

One, our cars are much lower than just about everything else out there. This means it's a lot less likely that light is being scattered as far as those big SUVs with HID lights, but it's also the reason why we're so blinded when they come up behind us - we're directly in the light path, whereas a higher car isn't as susceptible.

The main reason why I converted them was because this car will see some night racing in Chumpcar. I try not to drive it at night on the street either because I too hate being blinded by HID d-bags. That being said, I have them aimed low and I have never been flashed by oncoming traffic, so I do not believe them to be blinding people in front of me.

I do have the bi-Xenon lights, with both high and low beams.

This is the kit I have on the car currently, with 6000k crystal white bulbs (I think). Forget the blue bulbs - the more blue, the less effective they are.

http://www.light-pros.com/g5-slim-hid-kit-...-new-low-price/

I think these are the housings I used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-H6024-Open-Beam-...406&vxp=mtr

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:49 AM