Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mig welding question
nomore9one4
post Jun 10 2013, 06:02 PM
Post #1

Member of the Eastcoast Thread Killers Club

Group: Members
Member No.: 14
Region Association: None

So I picked up a little mig welder. My beginners welder if you will.. I set it up to practice on a fender laying on the table. Hooked up the ground to the fender and when I went to weld I got a huge spark off of the ground clamp...wtf? I figured before I went any further I would check in with the experts..Anyone? I cant imagine this is normal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Jun 10 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #2

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(nomore9one4 @ Jun 10 2013, 08:02 PM) *

So I picked up a little mig welder. My beginners welder if you will.. I set it up to practice on a fender laying on the table. Hooked up the ground to the fender and when I went to weld I got a huge spark off of the ground clamp...wtf? I figured before I went any further I would check in with the experts..Anyone? I cant imagine this is normal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Did you assemble the machine? Leads hooked up to wrong polarity?
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jun 10 2013, 06:26 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(nomore9one4 @ Jun 10 2013, 05:02 PM) *

Normal if the ground contact is dirty or not attached properly to the "work"
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Jun 10 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 10 2013, 04:26 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
nomore9one4
post Jun 10 2013, 06:34 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(bulitt @ Jun 10 2013, 04:23 PM) *

QUOTE(nomore9one4 @ Jun 10 2013, 08:02 PM) *

Did you assemble the machine? Leads hooked up to wrong polarity?

It was hooked up when I bought it
+Quote Post
nomore9one4
post Jun 10 2013, 06:35 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jun 10 2013, 04:26 PM) *

Thank you! This is probably the cause..will update now that I know my lifes not in danger (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jun 10 2013, 09:06 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

If cleaning the ground to bear metal doesn't work, try to get a copy of the manual for the unit and verify that it is wired correctly. The polarity is reversed based on whether you're doing Flux-core welding or true MIG (using a gas source). Sometime there will be a diagram on the unit itself to outline how it's supposed to be setup.
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Jun 10 2013, 09:33 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,712

I would go with the ground clamp first and then check the terminal inside the welder. Then check the gun supply terminals.

Reversed polarity shouldnt make it pop. I reverse the polarity with MIG all the time when welding upside down to keep my ear wax virgin.

When welding make sure you have the proper stickout so the wire doesnt burn back and stick to the tip. Make sure you are not shorting the tip out on the material.

Easy test to see if the board has a short or blown diode. Run about 5 inches of wire out and then touch the wire to the material and press the trigger. You should see the wire pre-heat and glow red if everything is ok.

If your spool is old it can get rust deposits on the wire surface. It will sputter and pop.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 11 2013, 08:40 AM
Post #9

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Jun 10 2013, 07:33 PM) *

If your spool is old it can get rust deposits on the wire surface. It will sputter and pop.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

A mig will weld on rusty metal - very badly. When the arc hits the rust you will get sparks all over, your puddle will fly around and you will be too dazzled to see what you are doing. Then when it cools the bead will be just sort of glued to rust.

So the important thing is to make sure that the ground and the weld surface are shiny new steel. That often means cutting back to clean metal making for a bigger repair. Do that - it will be worth it. Also the heat and wire feed adjustments both do things to the weld so you will need to experiment. Bigger metal needs more heat, so if you are welding something thin to something thick, always start heating the thick piece first. You may never have to directly heat the thin, the puddle will just melt into place.

Good luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
nomore9one4
post Jun 11 2013, 03:55 PM
Post #10

Thanks everyone! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 03:07 AM