Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> redline gear oil, like it or not?
mattillac
post Nov 29 2004, 06:00 PM
Post #1

robots!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,020

seems like the preffered gear oil of 914club is swepco 901. i have a few quarts of 75/90 redline gear oil left over from when i had my 240z. any thoughts on this stuff in the porsche tranny?

in the past:
redline + hard to shift tranny = nice smooth tranny
...well at least for a while. i've used redline before to cover up some tranny problems i just didn't feel like fixing.
but these were junkyard 240z and rx7 trans. not my nice 914 tranny. opinions??? recommended gear oil weights???
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Nov 29 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #2

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 288
Region Association: None

It should work fine. I use Mobil 1. Jake uses Mobil 1.

Swepco is very good oil, but costs $40/gal. I do not believe it is truely any better than the $6.99 stuff from you FLAPS.
+Quote Post
LvSteveH
post Nov 29 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #3

I put the Poor in Porsche

Member No.: 600

Redline is a great product, but it doesn't allow the synchros in a 914 trans to grab and slow down the gear stack as well as conventional lube. I put a new first gear synchro in a trans followed by redline, and while first gear felt fine, second gear now had some clash that was never present before that could only be attributed to the redline. Once the dead dino oil was put back in, all was fine again.

PS I did use the Redline without slippery additive 75/90NS, so that wasn't the problem.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Nov 30 2004, 12:39 PM
Post #4

robots!

thanks guys. i guess i'll try it out and go from there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Nov 30 2004, 12:54 PM
Post #5

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) I had really bad results with the redline stuff, but my tranny was pretty worn already, just starting to crunch first.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Put the redline in, got 100 miles out of it, a lost first all together, and started lossing 2-3.

I coouldn,t get it out quick enough.

Hope your tranny isn't too worn if you do use it, just my personal experience.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Nov 30 2004, 01:10 PM
Post #6

robots!

as far as i can tell, the tranny is good. had some first gear issues, but i traced that to
a busted clutch roll pin and some shitty bushings. it says on the bottle that it may cause gear clash in some trannys, so if that happens i'll just drain it and use some standard stuff with an additive maybe.
+Quote Post
slivel
post Nov 30 2004, 01:10 PM
Post #7

Old car....... older driver

Member No.: 2,332
Region Association: Southern California

If you want to use Redline gear oil in a 901, I recommend mixing it at about 50-50 ratio, the 75-90 stuff with Redlines MT 90. Reason is the 75-90 is rated GL5 and by itself is too slippery for the synchros causing gear clash when shifting. The MT 90 is GL4 rated and seems to provide enough friction to make the synchros happy. I've run Swepco, Redline and Mobil 1 in my box. Right now I've got Mobil 1 in. If you already have some 75-90 buy a quart or two of MT90 and try it. Worst case is you don't like the way it shifts and you drain and change it to something else.

Steve
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Nov 30 2004, 01:14 PM
Post #8

robots!

QUOTE(slivel @ Nov 30 2004, 11:10 AM)
If you want to use Redline gear oil in a 901, I recommend mixing it at about 50-50 ratio, the 75-90 stuff with Redlines MT 90. Reason is the 75-90 is rated GL5 and by itself is too slippery for the synchros causing gear clash when shifting. The MT 90 is GL4 rated and seems to provide enough friction to make the synchros happy. I've run Swepco, Redline and Mobil 1 in my box. Right now I've got Mobil 1 in. If you already have some 75-90 buy a quart or two of MT90 and try it. Worst case is you don't like the way it shifts and you drain and change it to something else.

Steve

thanks for the tip. i'll give that a try. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Downunderman
post Nov 30 2004, 01:28 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 766
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

I have been using Neo until a week or so ago. All I could find at the time to refill was Castrol Multitrax. It is the best stuff. It shifts 100% better and it doesn't affect the diff operation. I don't know how good the Swepco stuff is but the castrol cost about $30 for 5 litres as against about $60 for 1 litre of the Neo. The castrol has been in there for 2 days of competition.
+Quote Post
mattillac
post Nov 30 2004, 02:53 PM
Post #10

robots!

QUOTE(Howard R @ Nov 30 2004, 11:28 AM)
I have been using Neo until a week or so ago. All I could find at the time to refill was Castrol Multitrax. It is the best stuff. It shifts 100% better and it doesn't affect the diff operation. I don't know how good the Swepco stuff is but the castrol cost about $30 for 5 litres as against about $60 for 1 litre of the Neo. The castrol has been in there for 2 days of competition.

CASTROL MULTITRAX? i dont know if they call it the same in the states, but i'll keeps an eye open for that one if the redline doesnt shift smooth. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pirate.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:24 AM