Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Seal or no seal?
last337
post Jun 11 2013, 07:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,221
Region Association: None

So I have been reading about all the seal system kits etc for fuel tanks and after cleaning all the gunk out of mine I wonder if sealing it is really necessary. I looked at POR-15's website and they say if the tank doesnt have any pin-holes or leaks it doesnt need to be sealed at all. However, my thinking is that if I have it all apart anyways whats the harm in sealing it now? Any opinions on this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Jun 11 2013, 08:13 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,782

I would not seal it. You can introduce problems of the sealer cracking around the outlet/at the edge of any opening, flaking off and clogging the outlet. A good unsealed tank is better than a sealed one. A sealed good one is only as good as a sealed one that had been filled with rust, so keep what you have, the best option available, until you need to do otherwise.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 11 2013, 08:39 AM
Post #3

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

no telling how long, if ever, its been since the tank has been serviced. don't fix what aint' broke. i've never por-15ed a tank. some have success and others haven't. i believe proper prep is crucial for adhesion. did the shop test it for any leaks?

k
+Quote Post
worn
post Jun 11 2013, 09:43 AM
Post #4

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(last337 @ Jun 11 2013, 05:32 AM) *

So I have been reading about all the seal system kits etc for fuel tanks and after cleaning all the gunk out of mine I wonder if sealing it is really necessary. I looked at POR-15's website and they say if the tank doesnt have any pin-holes or leaks it doesnt need to be sealed at all. However, my thinking is that if I have it all apart anyways whats the harm in sealing it now? Any opinions on this?

I think the jury won't be in about sealing till a lot of sealed tanks remain problem free at say 20-30 years. You can get them back to clean metal as they were when installed as long as the rust hasn't gone too far. Maybe the sealer will fill pits, but for how long?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 11 2013, 09:53 AM
Post #5

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

if the sealant fails you'll wind up further back than go. further back than 'on your mark'
+Quote Post
last337
post Jun 11 2013, 11:44 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,221

Yes I was kinda thinking same thing. I had no leaks before muriatic acid treatment so why would that create leaks unless it broke loose some stuff that was keeping it tight. I guess we shall see if I get leaks after putting it back together but as far as seams go it looks good along all of them. I almost bought por15 stuff but friend talked me into muriatic acid route and it worked great!
+Quote Post
matt5596
post Jun 11 2013, 02:57 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,619
Region Association: South East States

I went in circles on this with the guy that cleaned my tank. He swears by "his" technique. I decided against it - figured as long as I keep it full of alcohol-free gas it will last another 42 year.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 01:51 PM