Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Gall Bladders, Anybody missing theirs?
HarveyH
post Nov 30 2004, 09:23 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 843

Here’s my take on gallbladder problems, my experience was from 6-7 years ago, so things have probably changed. I also had very small, almost sandy stones.
Ultrasound diagnosis can be tricky. If you’re in an attack, or have recently eaten, particularly something you shouldn’t, the gallbladder contracts and it becomes very difficult to see if there are any stones since everything is compressed together. If it’s been too long since you have eaten, the gallbladder will distend (get larger) and is becomes hard to see the stones since everything is so diffuse. (With me, 16 hours fasting was too long, but 12 was OK for a positive diagnosis.)
With the laparoscopic procedure, the bile duct is tied off just at the end of the gallbladder. The bile duct from the gallbladder Y’s into the duct from the pancreas and forms the common bile duct. Just after the junction, the common bile duct necks down a bit, making it slightly smaller than either of the two ducts that form it. If a stone is in the gall bladder duct (and apparently it’s very difficult to make sure there isn’t one there) it may travel down into the common bile duct and wedge into the restriction. This means you will develop pancreatitis, and a Gastroenterologist will have to snake the catheter down your throat and dig the stone out. With pancreatitis you may have violent retching, and it is possible to tear some of the internal closures from the laparoscopy; this may not be immediately apparent. You then have an incomplete closure that can possibly herniate, and at some later date they have to go back in to repair the hernia.

Harvey
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Nov 30 2004, 10:52 AM
Post #42

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248
Region Association: None

Qarl, I'm 34 now and had my gallbladder out several years ago. The ultra sound showed a stone the size of a golf ball. It's no wonder I was in such pain. Each time the stone tried to pass, it would get stuck and cripple me for an hour. Now, I just have to watch out for really fatty foods.

Even though I was in the 5% that had complications, it was well worth it.
+Quote Post
andys
post Nov 30 2004, 02:42 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

My 18 y/o daughter is scheduled to have her gall bladder removed on 12/20/04. Leading up to this, she visited the emergency room three separate times due to severe pain. Any high fat food would kick off a reaction....last time, it was the Fettuccini Alfredo.

Andy
+Quote Post
Katmanken
post Nov 30 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #44

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I vote for the lap chole.

I worked on some of the endoscopic first clip appliers for the lap chole (gallbladder removal) procedure at Ethicon Endo-Surgery.

Laperoscopic cholecysectomy, three days in bed and yer up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Open surgery- six weeks in bed with a big scar.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Kenny like the laparoscopic surgery- it's simple, easy to do and low risk. I can almost do one from memory.
Open surgery is done for complications or more difficult surgeries.

Swood, watch that GERD- gastroesophageal cancer can happen and you don't even know it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Engman, ya scared the crap outta me... i don't remember you at Ethicon! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Anybody have hemorrhoids? I gotta "do it yourself" kit in my offfice for emergencies.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Ken
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Nov 30 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #45

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

I was told that I have a couple of Gall Stones, I have not had any problems so far, I was also told that people can go a whole lifetime without having to have them removed. Is this true? They also stated that diet was very important and to lay off the fastfood. Man this talking about this stuff is scaring the sh_t out of me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Been through the Kidney Stones, I felt like death couldnt come soon enough, now I lay off the sodas and tea and drink lots of water (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Nov 30 2004, 10:26 PM
Post #46

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271

Blood work came back okay. I don't have the numbers, but the nurse said that my cholesterol was a bit high and that my liver enzymes were slightly elevated. The liver enzymes are high because of an antibiotic I am on. Cholesterol was normal for "me".

All else was within exceptable limits.
+Quote Post
Engman
post Nov 30 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #47

Zoisite

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 475

i don't remember you at Ethicon!

Oh I was there 92-94 . Worked on the trocar lines. Great place to work until Black Tuesday happened. Was asked to go to Alberqueke and declined - not really where I wanted to raise my kids. I spent like 6 of those months in Juarez, Mexico on product transfers and changes for the transfer. I am sure things have settled since then.

M
+Quote Post
Mrs. K
post Nov 30 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #48

Grieve we must, but celebrate a great life!

Group: Birthday Fairy
Member No.: 2,166

QUOTE(skline @ Nov 30 2004, 07:14 AM)
I had a colostomy bag attached to my leg for about 4 months after the operation.

Actually, based on what you told me about your condition, you had a drainage bag, not a colostomy. A colostomy is when they have to redirect part of your large intestine (colon) to your abdominal wall, and the bag retrieves the...well you know!
And then, all things going well, you need another surgery to
reconnect things so they "come out" the previous way!
Sorry to be so graphic, but I have been and x-ray technologist
for over 20 years and I have seen it all!

Lisa (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

PS Your scar is on the right because your gall bladder is on the right too. Stomach is on the left.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:27 AM