Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brake Peddle Play, Can one adjust this ?
dralf
post Nov 30 2004, 01:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,597

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
I got my car off the jackstands this weekend and all I need now is to get some insurance so I can drive it down the road for a front end alignment. I have bleed the brakes a number of times and there is no air in the lines and the car stops OK, however there is about an inch or so of peddle travel before one can feel the master cylinder working or any sort of resistance. I plan on taking up the floorboard and looking at the linkage, but before I go doing that I wanted to ask some of you pros as to what kind of adjustments can I make to take up this free play. I read in the manual that there should be 0.1 MM ? of play in the MC plunger, but I think my free play is coming from something else.

If I can figure out how to clear out my memory stick from my camera I will try to post some pictures now that it is all back in one peice.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 30 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #2

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yes.

The plundger rod screws into a bracket that is attached to your brake pedal. Basic method would be to unscrew the plundger rod until you get the factory measurement and then reset your brake light washer back to the original position.

Dig in... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
post Nov 30 2004, 02:18 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 988

if the adjuster screw doesn't do it,

did you bleed both bleed valves on the front calipers? IE-the upper and lower ones? I just did the top ones my first time and had a similar reaction to what you are describing

-adam
+Quote Post
dralf
post Nov 30 2004, 02:25 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,597

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
I just bleed the top bleeders ( I have speed bleeders in those locations) I have done it 3 times with the use of a power bleeded. Naturally I assumed that gravity / and density diffrences between brake fluid and air would be on my side and I only need to work the top screws. But as Scotty or was it Spock once said, " The Laws of Physics Do Not Apply"
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 30 2004, 02:46 PM
Post #5

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ohhhhhhhh....

For sure. Bleed those brakes properly first. There's a bunch of methods for getting 914 brakes properly bled. Usually requires two people and a massive stomp on the pedal to get that p-valve to bleed properly.

"Then" if you need to adjust...
+Quote Post
jdogg
post Nov 30 2004, 02:57 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 204

Also- make sure the rubber pedal stop on the pedal cluster is in place. You'll have to pull the floor board to see. If it has slid out, the spring on the pedal will push the pedal toward you, giving you some free play.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:48 AM