Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> fuel pump for carbed 1.8, need to replace leaking fuel pump for carbed 75 1.8
dsphoto
post Jun 19 2013, 04:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,906
Region Association: None

my fuel pump is leaking on my 75 1.8 and need to replace it so my garage doesn't explode one of these days when the water heater kicks on. The car was originally FI but the guy I bought it from had converted it to carbs if that makes any difference. Any suggestions on a good replacement fuel pump?

thanks!
Dan

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jun 19 2013, 04:54 PM
Post #2

Twodollardoug

Member No.: 12,492
Region Association: Southern California

i have been using a facet fuel pump for years. i have never seen one fail.
+Quote Post
dsphoto
post Jun 19 2013, 05:02 PM
Post #3

thanks, could you send a link to one? or what psi should i look for?

thanks again
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jun 19 2013, 05:06 PM
Post #4

Twodollardoug

QUOTE(dsphoto @ Jun 19 2013, 04:02 PM) *

thanks, could you send a link to one? or what psi should i look for?

thanks again

sure... i was gonna but got sidetracked. you should also run a pressure regulator. and regulate it to 2.5-3.0 psi. the regulator not only meters the fuel but also smooths out the pulses from the facet.

back in a minute with some links....
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jun 19 2013, 05:16 PM
Post #5

Twodollardoug

fuel pump isolators to keep the pump quiet. http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Rubber-Mounti...p/00-9259-7.htm

pump. http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Facet-Electri...3psi-p/1008.htm

regulator. notice this regulator regulates between 2-4 pounds. its the perfect range for our use. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pfs-10663/overview/

shop around for this stuff. prices vary and maybe some of our vendors carry them. i run these parts as do many others so they are proven.
+Quote Post
KENNY
post Jun 19 2013, 05:17 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 243

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Jun 19 2013, 02:54 PM) *

i have been using a facet fuel pump for years. i have never seen one fail.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
dsphoto
post Jun 19 2013, 05:22 PM
Post #7

thanks so much guys. i'm about to head home from work. i'll put up a pic of what is currently going on up there and maybe you can help me make sure i'm getting all the necessary parts cuz i have no idea what the last guy changed out on this or what it is supposed to be. its a bit of a basket case.
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jun 19 2013, 05:34 PM
Post #8

Twodollardoug

if you starting from scratch, i would recommend a good fuel filter also. i use a one micron canton canister filter. it has replaceable filters. any good filter will work just fine.

my set up goes like this. pump to regulator to filter (in the front trunk) then thru the tunnel to the back of the car then up behind the battery tray to the back of the carbs to a T-block that has a 1/8 npt port for a small pressure gauge then about 18 inches of hose out of the tee to each carb. i can take pictures if you need em.

there are lots of tricks i have learned over the years to make your carbs bullet proof. i can share them with you if your interested. most tricks cost money but some are free. but each can be done a little at a time.
+Quote Post
dsphoto
post Jun 19 2013, 06:40 PM
Post #9

ok cool here is a pic of the current fuel pump in the trunk:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i52.photobucket.com-15906-1371688814.1.jpg)

any ideas and help are welcome. From what I can tell the previous owner did a pretty clean job of converting to carbs, but whether it is ideal or not, i have no idea. I can't tell where the line goes between the fuel pump and the engine compartment if there is anything else in-line. from the engine compartment it goes into a Y for the two carbs right by the battery and thats about it. all rubber hoses except a small piece of hard plastic line by the tunnel. the other day I had a mad leak (read spray) from one of the hoses. It looks like there are two coming out from the tunnel and only one is used for the carbs. the other one was just bent over and ziptied closed. the ziptie had come off and was shooting gas all over the ground. i made a solid plug for it and is holding now. but do i need that second line, or can i do something safer with it? here is a pic:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i52.photobucket.com-15906-1371688814.2.jpg)

sorry this is a lot. i really just want it to be safe and fix any of the little things the last guy may have neglected to do.

thanks
+Quote Post
dsphoto
post Jun 19 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #10

ok so looking at pumps online trying to compare prices with other sellers. the one in the link doesn't have a model number but the picture on the page says 40105. This is 40105 from pegasus which doesn't state the same specs.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productde....asp?RecID=8440

I'm a bit confused. So basically I just need one that can do about 3 psi and the regulator will control it to keep it at 2.5 to 3 psi? am i understanding this correctly?
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jun 19 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #11

Twodollardoug

the second smaller fuel line is the return line from the old FI system. so its probly best to cap it off right at the tank.

the first thing i would do before i spent another dime on the car would be to replace the plastic fuel line that runs thru the tunnel. tangerine racing sells a pre-bent stainless steel setup. http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm i have never installed them but many others have and seams fairly easy. hopefully others will chime in.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Jun 19 2013, 07:48 PM
Post #12

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(dsphoto @ Jun 19 2013, 07:40 PM) *

... From what I can tell the previous owner did a pretty clean job of converting to carbs, but whether it is ideal or not, i have no idea...

... It looks like there are two coming out from the tunnel and only one is used for the carbs. the other one was just bent over and ziptied closed. the ziptie had come off and was shooting gas all over the ground...

From your picture under the engine, I would say the previous owner was dangerous with tools in his hands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
Consider replacing all the fuel lines (hard line and hose) in the car, from the fuel tank all the way to the carbs - at the same time as you replace your pump and filter.
This way you will know that your fuel system is safe. What you have now is a disaster waiting to happen.
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jun 19 2013, 07:51 PM
Post #13

Twodollardoug

QUOTE(dsphoto @ Jun 19 2013, 06:33 PM) *

ok so looking at pumps online trying to compare prices with other sellers. the one in the link doesn't have a model number but the picture on the page says 40105. This is 40105 from pegasus which doesn't state the same specs.
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productde....asp?RecID=8440

I'm a bit confused. So basically I just need one that can do about 3 psi and the regulator will control it to keep it at 2.5 to 3 psi? am i understanding this correctly?

the one from pegasus will be fine. you are looking for a low pressure pump when running carb. alot of the class 5 off road cars (type 4 powered) use the holley red pump. some manufacturers claim their pumps dont need regulators. cb performance and carter for instance. but carbs are pretty sensitive to pressure. so in order to cut down on trouble shooting i always run one. once your carbs are dialed in you will rarely have to mess with them. i havent touched mine in close to a year and my car is my daily driver.
+Quote Post
dsphoto
post Jun 19 2013, 08:42 PM
Post #14

Haha. After seeing how many zip ties this guy has used and things he just cut off in seemingly random places I'd agree. I was already thinking about the steel line after the fuel leak incident last week. But I feel like the pump can at least be an immediate suppressor of the garage fire hazard. I'll order both but will probably only have time for the pump until next weekend. I'd prefer not to have a renters insurance claim and be homeless. Your help is much appreciated. I'll get these ordered. I'm sure I'll be posting again when I get to the next hurdle. Mrbubblehead, looks like you aren't too far from me, do you know of someone in socal for alignment?
+Quote Post
mrbubblehead
post Jun 19 2013, 09:06 PM
Post #15

Twodollardoug

QUOTE(dsphoto @ Jun 19 2013, 07:42 PM) *

Haha. After seeing how many zip ties this guy has used and things he just cut off in seemingly random places I'd agree. I was already thinking about the steel line after the fuel leak incident last week. But I feel like the pump can at least be an immediate suppressor of the garage fire hazard. I'll order both but will probably only have time for the pump until next weekend. I'd prefer not to have a renters insurance claim and be homeless. Your help is much appreciated. I'll get these ordered. I'm sure I'll be posting again when I get to the next hurdle. Mrbubblehead, looks like you aren't too far from me, do you know of someone in socal for alignment?

oh ya, i didnt even notice. your just down the road. LOL

i do my own alignment. check this thread http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=alignment

i am sure 911 design could do it for you. there in montclaire? clairemont?
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jun 20 2013, 08:09 AM
Post #16

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

for heavens sake...screw the facet pump. really!! for the umpteenth time...the cbperformance ROTARY pump is all you need with a filter in between the tank outlet and the pump. no fp regulator, one is REQUIRED w/facet. no fuel pressure gauge (unless you think you need to confirm the self regulated pressure) is REQUIRED to see where the regulator is set. far less connections. cap the return fitting on tank bottom the tank. place the new cb in the stock pump location for the 75/76 models. there is an access panel on the rear wall of the front trunk. the splice under under the engine is just plain wrong. if you plan on staying with carbs get chris's take on using the large supply line for earlier cars in the tunnel. no need for a return.

tank outlet to filter, filter to pump, pump to front of supply line, single line from rear of supply up thru engine tin to metal tee, branch off tee to each carb. minimal connections. don't use the slotted line clamps. get some stock shouldered ones or shouldered aftermarket.

+Quote Post
michael7810
post Jun 20 2013, 12:24 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

Chris sells the kit; complete with pump, filter, ss lines, hoses and clamps. that's what I did and it fit and works great.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jun 20 2013, 02:41 PM
Post #18

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

....I also dig facet!....another good pump is redline(if you can find 1)
I've used both!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/crest.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stones.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tunez.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
(dsphoto.....that looks like an early ford....fuel-filter?
+Quote Post
dsphoto
post Jun 20 2013, 05:27 PM
Post #19

too late ordered the facet already. i'm not looking to completely re-do everything. This car will never be a show car or anything fancy (unless you have some good body shop skills and a rotisserie) and is not worth putting a whole lot of money into. I just want to drive it until i can afford a nicer one worth doing up the way i want and when i have a bigger garage.

what's a shouldered clamp? i googled it and all i see is the same screw slotted type.

ford fuel filter, what? i have no idea.

this may be a stupid question, will i need to take the gas tank out to do this?

thanks again everyone. i will attempt this weekend assuming everything gets here.
+Quote Post
dsphoto
post Jun 20 2013, 06:12 PM
Post #20

So according to the site, I need the one piece supply line only in 9.5mm, correct?

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:22 AM