Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Opening driver's door from inside a bit difficult, Is it the door handle or the latch??
aylanco
post Nov 30 2004, 07:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,371

Hi All,

My driver's interior door handle has too much free play before it actually starts unlatching the door. The interior door handles open about 80 degrees total. My driver's door handle does not start to unlatch the door (ie pull the rod to move the latch) until about 60 degrees, which just does not feel right. The passenger door starts to unlatch the door at about 20 to 30 degrees, which feels normal. I pulled out the driver's door handle to inspect it. I am not sure what I am looking for, but the maze of parts making up the handle do seem to be a bit loose, and the cam actuating the movement of the rod does not make its contact until about 60 degrees of movement.

Before I spend the $ on one part or the other, is it likely to be the interior handle or could the problem be with the latch. I know it could be both, bit I am wondering if this is a common thing from one or the other.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Nov 30 2004, 08:15 PM
Post #2

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

Check to see if the plastic slider on the outside handle is cracked/broken. You'll have to take it off the door to see.

Paul
+Quote Post
aylanco
post Nov 30 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #3

Paul,

This is a huge coincidence, BUT my outside door handle broke today when I was working on the interior door handle problem. The interior door handle has been this way since I bought the car in July, but the exterior door handle worked just fine until it broke today. In fact, that problem was going to be my next post! Huge coincidence.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Nov 30 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #4

****************************************************************************************************

Where did it break? The slider?
+Quote Post
aylanco
post Nov 30 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #5

I am assuming it is the slider. It is a flat light metal/hard plastic piece about 3/4 inch long.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Nov 30 2004, 08:34 PM
Post #6

That maybe the mounting tab that has a stud that mounts thru the door. The slider is round/hollow and slides on the handle.

The silder is shown in this picture. Pelican Parts sells replacements.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
aylanco
post Nov 30 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #7

Thanks for the photo. My broken piece is the tab that is part of the handle itself which appears to move the slider back and forth. Time for a new door handle!
+Quote Post
aylanco
post Nov 30 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #8

Well that answers that! Back to the original problem...Anyone have an idea about the interior door handle vs the latch??
+Quote Post
aylanco
post Nov 30 2004, 09:33 PM
Post #9

I'll backtrack here a bit for clarification. Here is the piece that is broken on my exterior door handle. I assume that is terminal. Thank you Paul for all of your help on this.

I would still like to hear from anyone regarding me original problem, the interior door handle vs the latch. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
markb
post Nov 30 2004, 09:53 PM
Post #10

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

The interior door handle is broken. That's what it does when it breaks. You can probably buy a used to replace it. I'll be happy to buy your old exterior handle. I need the parts. Anybody else got old broken exterior handles they want to part with (cheap)?
+Quote Post
tesserra
post Nov 30 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 479

I am going through the same problem. My car has only the plastic slider broken.

My question is if there is a lube or something to use when we put these parts together that will make them work better/last longer?

My outside drivers key stopped working about the same time. Hopefully its the same problem.

George
+Quote Post
markb
post Nov 30 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #12

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

A local locksmith told me to use triflow in the key area. I use HHS2000 for everything else. I think it's a Wurth product. I got mine at GPR. It sprays on thin, and then thickens.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Nov 30 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #13

I believe the reason that the handles break is that over time the latch post become misalined with the "catch" of the door. This misalinement is from the car saging over time. If that post and door shift in thier relation to one another, it puts stress on the handle everytime you try to open it. Sooner or latter the weakest link breaks and which is the parts of the handle.

You can pick up handles on Ebay and the parts from Pelican. The photo above shows how I fix the mounting tab when it breaks. I've got a couple of inside handles if you need them.

Paul
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 06:43 AM