Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steve's 73 1.7 Restoration Thread
r3dplanet
post Mar 4 2014, 09:36 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,741
Region Association: None

The hell you say! The 1.7 should never be considered lowly. My '73 1.7 liter engine runs better than any other -4 except for the '73 2.0, and mine is ultimately destined to be a 1911.

Stop a moment, collect your thoughts, and look deep within your consciousness. Stay there a moment and allow the goodness of the 1.7 to soak through your bones. As though you're playing frisbee with on the beach with Tracy Reed. Like that one time you made it with your college intern student teacher in high school after displaying your Hamlet-reading prowess. Like hearing that glorious 1.7 roar behind the firewall as you take your 914 out for a warm summer's night drive with the top down. Reflect on this, and allow the perspective to change you.

Steve has already done this. His brainspace is right where it needs to be, clear and strong. Steve has taken the right steps. Steve knows his shit. So learn from Steve and love the 1.7 liter.

-m.

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 4 2014, 06:29 AM) *

WOW. Really impressive work Steve. Nice to see someone spending time and energy renewing even a lowly 1.7. You'll enjoy the heck out of it when it's done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ben*james
post Mar 4 2014, 09:40 PM
Post #22

LIFER

Member No.: 10,062
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Cracking me up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
1.7 is worthy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Mar 4 2014, 07:36 PM) *

The hell you say! The 1.7 should never be considered lowly. My '73 1.7 liter engine runs better than any other -4 except for the '73 2.0, and mine is ultimately destined to be a 1911.

Stop a moment, collect your thoughts, and look deep within your consciousness. Stay there a moment and allow the goodness of the 1.7 to soak through your bones. As though you're playing frisbee with on the beach with Tracy Reed. Like that one time you made it with your college intern student teacher in high school after displaying your Hamlet-reading prowess. Like hearing that glorious 1.7 roar behind the firewall as you take your 914 out for a warm summer's night drive with the top down. Reflect on this, and allow the perspective to change you.

Steve has already done this. His brainspace is right where it needs to be, clear and strong. Steve has taken the right steps. Steve knows his shit. So learn from Steve and love the 1.7 liter.

-m.

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 4 2014, 06:29 AM) *

WOW. Really impressive work Steve. Nice to see someone spending time and energy renewing even a lowly 1.7. You'll enjoy the heck out of it when it's done. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
type47
post Mar 5 2014, 06:18 AM
Post #23

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Mar 4 2014, 06:17 PM) *

... and relocated the fuel pump and filter to under the gas tank.

totally awesome work! Won't the filter location make it really hard to change?
+Quote Post
Steve_R
post Mar 5 2014, 08:07 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 14,777

QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 5 2014, 04:18 AM) *

Thanks and good point. I think I'll re-relocate it back to it's original location and maybe add some insulation to help with vapor lock.
+Quote Post
Steve_R
post Mar 5 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Mar 5 2014, 06:07 AM) *

Thanks and good point. I think I'll re-relocate it back to it's original location and maybe add some insulation to help with vapor lock.

Actually, now that I think about it, it should be between the tank and the pump.
So, I think I'll just leave it there. I want it to look stock as much as possible so I don't want to put it in the front trunk.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Mar 5 2014, 08:36 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 10,428

Impressive work...very clean and meticulous! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Steve_R
post Mar 5 2014, 10:14 PM
Post #27

The front bumper had a rust hole that needed some patching. I cut out the section and welded in a piece. I made a crude form out of wood to form a slight curve in the piece before I welded it in place. I also welded up the bumper guard holes. After a lot of grinding and filing it turned out really good.

Also, the front valance needed a lot of work. I built a frame out of 2x4s to support it while i did the body work. I used wood screws to hold it to the support.

After a long search, I found the perfect semi gloss paint. It's called 2K urethane underhood black from Eastwood. I think it matches the original semi gloss black perfectly.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 5 2014, 10:27 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Just WOW!
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Mar 5 2014, 10:35 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Mar 5 2014, 08:14 PM) *

The front bumper had a rust hole that needed some patching. I cut out the section and welded in a piece. I made a crude form out of wood to form a slight curve in the piece before I welded it in place. I also welded up the bumper guard holes. After a lot of grinding and filing it turned out really good.

Also, the front valance needed a lot of work. I built a frame out of 2x4s to support it while i did the body work. I used wood screws to hold it to the support.

After a long search, I found the perfect semi gloss paint. It's called 2K urethane underhood black from Eastwood. I think it matches the original semi gloss black perfectly.

wait!!!! Is that front bumper that was repaired is the same bumper that was installed in the car? Metal bumper to chrome bumper?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Steve_R
post Mar 5 2014, 10:53 PM
Post #30

Yes, it is the same bumper. I forgot to mention that I took it to the chrome plater and had him strip off the chrome so I could weld on it.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Mar 5 2014, 11:48 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Mar 5 2014, 08:53 PM) *

Yes, it is the same bumper. I forgot to mention that I took it to the chrome plater and had him strip off the chrome so I could weld on it.

Sir Steve, that is an amazing job! It seems you prepare to do that than buying a clean chromed bumper. Is it cheaper that way sir? Can you share how much for the chrome plating and what shop in San Diego?

Thanks in advance and God bless!

Noel
+Quote Post
Shindog1961
post Mar 6 2014, 12:03 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 15,133
Region Association: Southwest Region

Nice! Really like the dolly, how did you get the body on to the dolly? Did you hoist it or jack it?
+Quote Post
Steve_R
post Mar 6 2014, 12:15 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 5 2014, 09:48 PM) *

Sir Steve, that is an amazing job! It seems you prepare to do that than buying a clean chromed bumper. Is it cheaper that way sir? Can you share how much for the chrome plating and what shop in San Diego?

Noel

Noel, I think it was a lot cheaper. It was a lot of work on my part but, I really enjoy the process.
Since I already had the bumper the only cost was chroming it and the $20 I paid the muffler shop to weld it. Don at Escondido Plating did the chrome and he charged me $400 for the front bumper He also plated both bumpers, shifter, inside and outside door handles and the seat belt loops.

In the end I think it was cheeper than buying another one and having it rechromed.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 6 2014, 07:17 AM
Post #34

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Mar 6 2014, 01:15 AM) *

Noel

Noel, I think it was a lot cheaper. It was a lot of work on my part but, I really enjoy the process.
Since I already had the bumper the only cost was chroming it and the $20 I paid the muffler shop to weld it. Don at Escondido Plating did the chrome and he charged me $400 for the front bumper He also plated both bumpers, shifter, inside and outside door handles and the seat belt loops.

In the end I think it was cheeper than buying another one and having it rechromed.

Thanks for that info. Looks like you found a great vendor for chrome.
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Mar 6 2014, 11:40 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Mar 5 2014, 10:15 PM) *

Noel

Meaning Sir Steve, $400 for all those? (2 bumpers, shifter, handles and belt loops). Can I chrome plate a bumper which is originally a painted bumper? Thus it has same metal thickness for those original chromed bumper and painted bumper?

Any plans of doing a 914 guys BBQ fellowship at your place soon?

+Quote Post
Steve_R
post Mar 6 2014, 11:43 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Mar 6 2014, 09:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Mar 5 2014, 10:15 PM) *

Noel

Meaning Sir Steve, $400 for all those? (2 bumpers, shifter, handles and belt loops). Can I chrome plate a bumper which is originally a painted bumper? Thus it has same metal thickness for those original chromed bumper and painted bumper?

Any plans of doing a 914 guys BBQ fellowship at your place soon?

Noel, It was $400 for just the front bumper. I can't remember how much the other parts were but the rear bumper was around $350. He charged me a little more for the front because he needed to add a little more copper to fill in some of the small pits from welding.

+Quote Post
Steve_R
post Mar 7 2014, 12:04 AM
Post #37

One of the more challenging projects was to rebuild the seat belts. I had all of the hardware zinc plated and I bought some 2" webbing on ebay for $15.00. I took the webbing to a upholstery shop and they sewed on the end pieces and charged me $10.00

The hardest part was getting the springs back in place. For the plastic covers I used some Meguiar's Professional Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner. This stuff is amazing. It makes plastic look new. I'm not sure how long it will last but, I've applied it to some other plastic parts over two months ago and they still look new.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Mar 7 2014, 07:22 AM
Post #38

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Steve that is some outstanding work. Bumper looks brand new- better than brand new actually.
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Mar 7 2014, 07:53 AM
Post #39

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Very nice!, enjoyed seeing it all come together! How close are you to having it on wheels?

- also, when you did the front suspension parts(i am doing this now) looks like you put 5 -lug on, re-drilled rotors-
*what wheels are you going with?
* also did you pull just clean and powder coat your original stuff, or did you source new, like the a-arms, dust shields etc?
Looks like you have left no stone unturned!! great job-
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Mar 7 2014, 08:06 AM
Post #40

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Mar 5 2014, 06:18 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve_R @ Mar 5 2014, 06:07 AM) *

Actually, now that I think about it, it should be between the tank and the pump.
So, I think I'll just leave it there. I want it to look stock as much as possible so I don't want to put it in the front trunk.

Spectacular work! Your attention to detail will pay off many times over.

You can make a more convenient location for the pump and filter by mounting in the cavity that holds the steering rack and master cylinder. It's protected from road debris by the panel yet easily accessed for service.

What are your plans for wheels?
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:51 PM