Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 75 LJet will not fire, finishing restoration
timothy_nd28
post Jun 29 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,154
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Pull the injectors and send them to Witch Hunters. They will go thru them and get them un-seized.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jun 29 2013, 11:10 PM
Post #42

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Hey Clark, Tim, I have only loosely followed this thread, sounds like you are going through things, with some success.

Were the injectors already 'rebuilt' and sat for awhile? If so they may be plugged...the chemcial they use to clean them can harden-up and cause them to not flow. You may be able to free them up by blipping them with a 9V battery a few times, and I would start by soaking their tips in something to help free them up - brake cleaner or acetone maybe?

To get the one L-jet car I had to run, I used one of the manuals on my site - there is a methodical approach to check all the components and systems, might help you too.

I will try to watch this thread, but if you need me, email me.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jun 30 2013, 07:56 AM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jun 29 2013, 11:11 PM) *

Pull the injectors and send them to Witch Hunters. They will go thru them and get them un-seized.

I found my emails to Cruzinperformance.com, that's who did my injectors. I will reach out to Rich and see if he has any suggestions for me to do on my own. Jeff's post above makes some sense, it has been about 15 months since I got my injectors back. Lesson learned on letting re-done injectors sit. Not that I will need the lesson, by I can save someone some headaches. Do your injectors LAST, install the engine and drive.

I will remove the injectors today and see if I can break them free.

You never suggested what to do with the amp meter?

Thanks.
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Jun 30 2013, 08:44 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 9,080

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jun 29 2013, 07:55 PM) *

I have heard about starting cars with starting fluid in the intake. We tried that last night too, but no luck. Any other tricks to at least burn some fuel?

Clark, I have been there a few times over the years with my 75 L-Jet and have found that I could always get it lit with starting fluid as long as the ignition was OK. Since you tried that already and didn't get it to run at all, I have to think you are looking at an ignition problem first of all, correct that then work on getting your injectors to squirt.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Jun 30 2013, 09:46 AM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Never mind the amp meter. I'm fairly certain that your injectors are seized and is indeed the problem. I have heard stories of folks using a crock-pot filled with seafoam on a low setting for 12 hours to clean these injectors. I'm not sure how well this would work, other than pissing off the wife.

The air flow meter is very sensitive to back fires. I would advise removing this when running your car off ether.
+Quote Post
Black22
post Jun 30 2013, 10:06 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(pilothyer @ Jun 30 2013, 07:44 AM) *

I have heard about starting cars with starting fluid in the intake. We tried that last night too, but no luck. Any other tricks to at least burn some fuel?

Clark, I have been there a few times over the years with my 75 L-Jet and have found that I could always get it lit with starting fluid as long as the ignition was OK. Since you tried that already and didn't get it to run at all, I have to think you are looking at an ignition problem first of all.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Although Tim knows his L-jet (he walked me through my troubles as well), if it didn't fire with starting fluid, something else is wrong.

Mine would not fire without starting fluid and it ended up being a fuel delivery problem. Check that your fuel lines are properly routed. Do yourself a favor and double check even if you are positive you did it right the first time. If its not properly hooked up from the pump and back, you will see fuel pressure, but the fuel pressure regulator can not run in reverse and therefore will not work.

There is definitely an ignition failure somewhere if it didn't fire with starting fluid though.

Good luck on the adventure.
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jun 30 2013, 11:02 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Black22 @ Jun 30 2013, 11:06 AM) *

QUOTE(pilothyer @ Jun 30 2013, 07:44 AM) *

Clark, I have been there a few times over the years with my 75 L-Jet and have found that I could always get it lit with starting fluid as long as the ignition was OK. Since you tried that already and didn't get it to run at all, I have to think you are looking at an ignition problem first of all.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Although Tim knows his L-jet (he walked me through my troubles as well), if it didn't fire with starting fluid, something else is wrong.

Mine would not fire without starting fluid and it ended up being a fuel delivery problem. Check that your fuel lines are properly routed. Do yourself a favor and double check even if you are positive you did it right the first time. If its not properly hooked up from the pump and back, you will see fuel pressure, but the fuel pressure regulator can not run in reverse and therefore will not work.

There is definitely an ignition failure somewhere if it didn't fire with starting fluid though.

Good luck on the adventure.

My starting fluid try was only a half hearted adventure and we did it with the air box on....I will try with the box off. 2 people had warned about the back-fire thing, so AFM off the car will protect it. I have the injectors out now, so starting fluid will be an afternoon thing.

Thanks,

Clark
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jul 1 2013, 12:00 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Soaking the injectors and using a 9v battery did not help. Rich at CruzinPerformance even suggested that I tap the sides with a screwdriver. No DIY trick is going to work. They are the outfit that tested and cleaned up the injectors about 15 months ago, and he has suggested that I send them back to him and he will get them flowing for me. That is on the plate for today's UPS run.
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jul 1 2013, 01:03 PM
Post #49

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

Is there a method for storing injectors that are going to sit ? I have had several sets of 1.8 injectors that Rich cleaned and tested; probably 5 years ago
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jul 1 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 1 2013, 02:03 PM) *

Is there a method for storing injectors that are going to sit ? I have had several sets of 1.8 injectors that Rich cleaned and tested; probably 5 years ago

Do share!

I won't need it, 'cause when he sends them back they are going straight on and the key will be turned once again. I feel success is days away.
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Jul 1 2013, 03:01 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jul 1 2013, 12:55 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 1 2013, 02:03 PM) *

Do share!

I won't need it, 'cause when he sends them back they are going straight on and the key will be turned once again. I feel success is days away.

I was secretly hoping failure and you would give in to the temptation of carbs. Thus posting a FS ad of your new FI harness (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 1 2013, 03:02 PM
Post #52

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I have had very good success using Tektron FI cleaner.
This is the stuff you pour into the gas tank.

I soak the injectors overnight in that stuff, fully submersed.
Clean them off, dry them out, plug them in and they work.

This is with old "seized" injectors.

Rich
+Quote Post
Black22
post Jul 1 2013, 06:28 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I run straight Marvel Mystery Oil through them before storage. Then seal them up in a zip-lock bag.
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 1 2013, 07:01 PM
Post #54

914 Wiring Harnesses

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jul 1 2013, 02:01 PM) *

I was secretly hoping failure and you would give in to the temptation of carbs. Thus posting a FS ad of your new FI harness (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I have another with your name on it Tim... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Jul 1 2013, 10:27 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jul 1 2013, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jul 1 2013, 02:01 PM) *

I have another with your name on it Tim... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

All in good time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) My next major purchase wife willingly, will be the famous Rennshift
+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Jul 2 2013, 08:54 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Small celebration tonight. A forum friend here in town loaned me some noid lights. I installed one and confirmed that the injector connections were getting power. All four lit up! I get the injectors back and I will have ignition dammit! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
timothy_nd28
post Jul 2 2013, 08:57 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 2 2013, 09:42 PM
Post #58

914 Wiring Harnesses

Oh yea... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 03:01 PM