Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 74 2.0 build thread 48,500 miles, Restoration somewhat started
rdomeck
post Jun 30 2013, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,939
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I purchased my 914 in 2005 with 26,000 miles on it. I am the third owner.

I know the second owner very well. As I understand the guy I purchased it from saw it many many years ago when the original owner had purchased it new and drove it to his house. The guy I bought it from made the mention that if he ever wanted to sell it, he wanted to buy it. Many years past and the guy called and said it was for sale. A price was agreed upon and when the car was delivered he didn't realize the car was a 914 and he didn't really care for it. Being the kind of guy that he is he went ahead and purchased it because he said he would. He never drove it. His son put about 1000 miles on it while in high school and blew the clutch out.

I purchased it, put in a new clutch, cleaned the fuel system and put about 20,000 miles on it in about 3 years. It was leaking a little oil so I pulled the engine out to reseal/rebuild about 2 1/2 years ago. Didn't have to do really anything to the bottom end. Bearings were perfect. Installed an upgraded cam and new lifter's along with a new set of rings.

I then started wacking on the heads and relied on some bad knowledge I learned from a Porsche mechanic that I used to work for and ended up trashing a good set of 3 bolt 2.0 heads.....

Well thanks to this forum I should have a set of good rebuildable heads this week and will start to work on them so I can get my engine back together.

As I hear a lot of people say...I will never sell this car. When I say it I mean it! That is unless my family is in need and in that case, I would sell it, but only then!

My plan is to get the engine back together and decide on the color that I will paint it. It is currently and originally black. It may stay black or it may change. I run a business in which we have a full body shop and we do some restoration work. I know that as long as I do it correctly it doesn't matter what color I paint it! My hope is to get the engine ready to go back in and then pull the car apart to paint it!

It has had one repaint due to a small fender bender. Looks like they sprayed it with lacquer paint, so it was a long time ago! It ended up having hail damage to it around 2007 so it needs something fixed on every panel.

Will post up some pictures this week. Oh, the main reason for stoping driving it is that I have 5 year old twins and it just wasn't getting driven. Now that they are getting a little older and things are a little less crazy I can work driving it into my schedule a little easier!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jun 30 2013, 04:45 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,438

Black was an optional color, extra money. Keep it black!

Paul
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jun 30 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707

It is good to hear of another 914 owner in the midwest.

There is a get together in Portage coming soon

Garolds BBQ
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jun 30 2013, 09:09 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Keep it the original black. Post some pictures.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 1 2013, 06:09 AM
Post #5

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I would consider keeping the original color as black was a rare and great looking color on these cars.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 1 2013, 06:40 AM
Post #6

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Black was an option and rare. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Jul 1 2013, 01:33 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 13,035

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Yes, definitely post some photos of your car!
+Quote Post
Niklas
post Jul 1 2013, 01:42 PM
Post #8

Porsche 914 Sweden

Member No.: 10,488
Region Association: Scandinavia

is it so rare with 914 in black ?
+Quote Post
rdomeck
post Jul 1 2013, 07:53 PM
Post #9

Funny, I have been looking for photo's for the last couple of days and I can't find any. I did go open the doors on it tonight and look over things. I even found the pallet rack full of parts. I hope to move it home from my shop this weekend. It does have an L 041 paint code. Looked up the paint code tonight and I can mix it on my paint machine.

I'll get some pictures up this weekend!
+Quote Post
rdomeck
post Jul 5 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #10

Got the car home today and in the garage. Will get some pics up by the end of the weekend!
+Quote Post
rdomeck
post Jul 6 2013, 03:26 PM
Post #11

http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/rrdomeck...7136e.jpeg.html

http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/rrdomeck...6e2a7.jpeg.html

http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/rrdomeck...fb444.jpeg.html

http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/rrdomeck...f4225.jpeg.html

More pictures to come once I get me garage set back up....I started a business about 4 years ago and my tools have been at the shop since then. Finally got them home, just need to organize them all!

+Quote Post
Razorbobsr
post Jul 7 2013, 05:55 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,813

QUOTE(rdomeck @ Jun 30 2013, 06:37 PM) *

I purchased my 914 in 2005 with 26,000 miles on it. I am the third owner.

I know the second owner very well. As I understand the guy I purchased it from saw it many many years ago when the original owner had purchased it new and drove it to his house. The guy I bought it from made the mention that if he ever wanted to sell it, he wanted to buy it. Many years past and the guy called and said it was for sale. A price was agreed upon and when the car was delivered he didn't realize the car was a 914 and he didn't really care for it. Being the kind of guy that he is he went ahead and purchased it because he said he would. He never drove it. His son put about 1000 miles on it while in high school and blew the clutch out.

I purchased it, put in a new clutch, cleaned the fuel system and put about 20,000 miles on it in about 3 years. It was leaking a little oil so I pulled the engine out to reseal/rebuild about 2 1/2 years ago. Didn't have to do really anything to the bottom end. Bearings were perfect. Installed an upgraded cam and new lifter's along with a new set of rings.

I then started wacking on the heads and relied on some bad knowledge I learned from a Porsche mechanic that I used to work for and ended up trashing a good set of 3 bolt 2.0 heads.....

Well thanks to this forum I should have a set of good rebuildable heads this week and will start to work on them so I can get my engine back together.

As I hear a lot of people say...I will never sell this car. When I say it I mean it! That is unless my family is in need and in that case, I would sell it, but only then!

My plan is to get the engine back together and decide on the color that I will paint it. It is currently and originally black. It may stay black or it may change. I run a business in which we have a full body shop and we do some restoration work. I know that as long as I do it correctly it doesn't matter what color I paint it! My hope is to get the engine ready to go back in and then pull the car apart to paint it!

It has had one repaint due to a small fender bender. Looks like they sprayed it with lacquer paint, so it was a long time ago! It ended up having hail damage to it around 2007 so it needs something fixed on every panel.

Will post up some pictures this week. Oh, the main reason for stoping driving it is that I have 5 year old twins and it just wasn't getting driven. Now that they are getting a little older and things are a little less crazy I can work driving it into my schedule a little easier!

Do you live in Indy? Bob
+Quote Post
rdomeck
post Jul 7 2013, 08:17 PM
Post #13

Bob, I do live in Indy. I see your car is for sale on CL. Good luck with the sale!
+Quote Post
Razorbobsr
post Jul 9 2013, 03:56 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,813

QUOTE(rdomeck @ Jul 7 2013, 10:17 PM) *

Bob, I do live in Indy. I see your car is for sale on CL. Good luck with the sale!

Do u know anyone looking for a fast beast? Bob
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Jul 9 2013, 07:59 AM
Post #15

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Per chance, what would the VIN of this L041 1974 914 be? Could this car be a...an...LE?

http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/

+Quote Post
rdomeck
post Jul 9 2013, 08:37 AM
Post #16

After looking at that website I don't think mine is an LE. The wheels have the original silver paint and the spare looks brand new and it is also silver. The car had the original Michelin tires on it when I purchased it. So I doubt they have been repainted.

I guess I will know more when I remove the paint from the bumpers. If I dee yellow that will change things a little....
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jul 9 2013, 09:30 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

I would keep it black. Painting a car a different color involves too much door jams, trunk, hood, engine bay painting which drives up the cost of the paint job. You have Mahles which is definitely a plus! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jul 9 2013, 09:33 AM
Post #18

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 9 2013, 11:30 AM) *

I would keep it black. Painting a car a different color involves too much door jams, trunk, hood, engine bay painting which drives up the cost of the paint job. You have Mahles which is definitely a plus! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Mahles are the best looking 914 alloy wheel and I agree to keep it Black!!!
Could you put some pictures of the car in the thread instead of linking to a site. I am forbidden (work policy) from hitting any site like photobucket but will wait until I get home if I have to.
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Jul 9 2013, 11:44 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 13,035

It looks like you've got an interesting fab shop there.....will be cool to see some resto progress
photos! Jon
+Quote Post
rdomeck
post Jul 10 2013, 02:38 PM
Post #20

I will post some pictures of the car on this sight when I can figure out how to.

I am very aware of how much work it takes to do a color change.... My business does this kind of work all the time! I will more than likely have the car dipped to eliminate any future rust issues. I have had a few cars done this way and although labor intensive, it does produce a great quality product.

I also have confirmed that my car is not an LE. It was one of the last cars produced in 74.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:02 AM