Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 74 2.0 build thread 48,500 miles, Restoration somewhat started
rdomeck
post Jul 10 2013, 02:40 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,939
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Jul 9 2013, 01:44 PM) *

It looks like you've got an interesting fab shop there.....will be cool to see some resto progress
photos! Jon

Oh and thanks for the kind words about the shop... We do a lot of very interesting stuff. Every once in a while we even make some money at it, but not very often.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rdomeck
post Apr 6 2014, 07:25 PM
Post #22

Almost a year and no progress.... I have another set of heads and will try to get them to the machine shop this week. Would like to bump up the compression some. Maybe 9.0:1... I might even drop of the tin to be powder coated.

I took the week off work, but it looks like that's not going to happen!
+Quote Post
rdomeck
post Apr 28 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #23

I have made a lot of progress this month. Got the heads to the machine shop. I have completely dismantled the car and all of its parts and it will be getting painted this summer... Maybe even this spring!

I did find some rust. The car had A/C installed when I purchased it and the hack job that was done caused about 2"X2" square were the fuel pump mounts. The most solid 914 I have ever worked on.....

More soon,
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Apr 28 2014, 07:31 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I also vote for keeping it black. Keep it original. I like the Mahle wheels too, you can get them polished and they look great with the right size tires. Good luck on your project, keep us updated...
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Apr 28 2014, 10:52 PM
Post #25

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(rdomeck @ Jul 10 2013, 05:38 PM) *

I also have confirmed that my car is not an LE. It was one of the last cars produced in 74.'

To an owner of one of the last of the '74 models made with a 2.0 L , from an owner of one of the first ( # 0089 ), which was built in August of '73, I wish you well with your endeavor.

Wonderful cars are they not ?

I encourage you to also do the paint in black, as it is quite unique and fairly rare on these cars.
Mine is a sunflower yellow and I do sometimes wish, even tho I love the brilliant yellow, to have a very unique and rare color on my teener.

But, so be it. They are all good , and glad you are preserving another to join the ranks of survivors. The BEST to you in a long but rewarding process.
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Apr 28 2014, 10:55 PM
Post #26

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(rdomeck @ Jul 10 2013, 05:38 PM) *

I also have confirmed that my car is not an LE. It was one of the last cars produced in 74.'

To an owner of one of the last of the '74 models made with a 2.0 L , from an owner of one of the first ( # 0089 ), which was built in August of '73, I wish you well with your endeavor.

Wonderful cars are they not ?

I encourage you to also do the paint in black, as it is quite unique and fairly rare on these cars.
Mine is a sunflower yellow and I do sometimes wish, even tho I love the brilliant yellow, to have a very unique and rare color on my teener.

But, so be it. They are all good , and glad you are preserving another to join the ranks of survivors. The BEST to you in a long but rewarding process.
+Quote Post
rdomeck
post Apr 29 2014, 08:34 AM
Post #27

I will be keeping it black..... And mostly original with only bolt on modifications.

I will also more than likely have the tube dipped to remove any and all paint as well as any rust that I can't see. I do see this as a forever car and I'm not to far away from having every nut and bolt off of it. I have found a little surface rust under the sound deadening on the floor as well as a little in the tunnel. Now would be the time to do this!
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Apr 29 2014, 10:01 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 13,035

QUOTE(rdomeck @ Apr 29 2014, 10:34 AM) *

I will be keeping it black..... And mostly original with only bolt on modifications.

I will also more than likely have the tube dipped to remove any and all paint as well as any rust that I can't see. I do see this as a forever car and I'm not to far away from having every nut and bolt off of it. I have found a little surface rust under the sound deadening on the floor as well as a little in the tunnel. Now would be the time to do this!

Sorry for the slightly off topic - I thought I read in another thread that you used to build engines and wrench on Porsches in Indianapolis....what shop?
Just curious and if I'm off base here, well it wouldn't be the first time today that my mind went missing!
+Quote Post
rdomeck
post Apr 30 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #29

I did used to wrench at a Porsche shop east of Indy. For about 3 years. I learned a lot of what to do AND what not to do!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 06:46 PM