Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Marcus' Corvair conversion, 914-C6
bulitt
post Jan 5 2015, 03:35 AM
Post #121

Achtzylinder

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

Glad to hear you are getting better!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
Sometimes removing all these additional projects can alleviate stress in your life. Immediately.
There is the danger though that when you vacate your garage you start thinking about starting up something else (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

On the flip side, it is really beneficial to be passionate about something, anything.
Keeps your mind in the game, your body moving, and a purpose to wake up.

There will never be a shortage of old cars, boats, cycles etc. available to work on.
You can always jump back in- when- as you said, you have your health, career, future.

For some people it's the journey, some it's the destination.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jan 5 2015, 04:53 AM
Post #122

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Wow... that's an eye opener. We all (sooner or later) go through some type of self worth examination if we're worth our salt and some are tougher than others. Yours is tough...
I think there's nothing wrong with buying a dependable car based on Rubiks Cube calculations of probability, but if we don't pursue what fires passion in us we're missing something. If working on these machines is what you love, there's intrinsic value in that. If running your business is getting mundane, think of what drove you to do it in the first place. If it's still worth it, do it. But then, there's nothing wrong with a good 401K...
Just my 2 cents... best wishes Marcus.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 5 2015, 12:16 PM
Post #123

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

HEY! You should be able to get some assistance on the med bills. File medical bankruptcy. They can't take what you don't have. Drug manufacturers have all kinds of programs. My cousin, stage 3-4, iirc, matastic prostate cancer, gets assistance on the 'life extending' magic drugs. They retail for roughly $9k a month. Plus another monthly injection that is $6k per. Plus the usual tamulosin and finesteride (sp). Had my cousin not relocated to washington he would be dead.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jan 5 2015, 12:31 PM
Post #124

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Our hope for the best in job, finances,and great health. There's always a teener seat to ride in somewhere.

Hopefully someone local can go by and help find your motor parts from the crook.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jan 5 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #125

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I know your health has been an issue for a long time Marcus. I don't think a Purge of projects is a bad way to go at all. What you get out of the projects might be more depressing though. I know the Cuda is probably the most ready & worth the most. Although I'm sure your bike if it was up for sale would go quick too. I don't know that market but am sure it would pull good money.

The 914 is always a tough call to get rid of. I know you have put a lot into it. When I was up helping you pull the motor. I was shocked & felt bad at the passenger longitude. I know you had paid for a good paint job. So it really sucked to see that. The PO floor pans were a surprise too. First setup I had seen that way. I think you would be money ahead getting a more solid chassis than fixing that one. Always brutal to make that call. Especially when you have so much invested. Not only monetarily but emotionally & physically. I went through something similar recently with some trucks I made the mistake of buying. Finally just cut my losses & got rid of them all. I lost affair amount of money overall with them. It was still a relief to have it all gone that the money wasn't as big a deal. Was just glad to be done with them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'm happy to help in any way that I can. I'm also more than happy to take you for a spin in my 914 when the weather clears up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
arkitect
post Jan 5 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 11,426
Region Association: None

Marcus,
I hope things turn around for you. You are one heck of a meticulous engine builder.

I don't know that much about the corvair engine, just seen a rerun of Chasing Classic Cars about the Fitch Phoenix that John Fitch used a corvair powerplant. Pretty cool history, too bad with the timing of Ralph Nader.

Reality tends to get in the way of our dreams, but what would life be without them?

Dave
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 5 2015, 09:08 PM
Post #127

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Jul 18 2013, 07:22 PM) *
It was super nice out this evening so I pulled out the Easy-Off and the power sprayer and hosed down the engine cases.

Since i have nothing technical to add here, how about something environmental:

Just one liter of oil in the soil can contaminate 1 million liters of ground water.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

PS: I hope this all works out for you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 5 2015, 09:15 PM
Post #128

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Jan 5 2015, 01:04 AM) *
take up a cheap hobby, like repeatedly solving my Rubik's cube

In that case, you *need* this:

7 Hours To Solve the World's Hardest Rubik's Cube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4BrzJbtRZg

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DarkMonohue
post Jan 5 2015, 09:39 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 16,986

QUOTE(arkitect @ Jan 5 2015, 07:16 PM) *
Pretty cool history, too bad with the timing of Ralph Nader.
Nader had his say, but it was the timing of the Ford Mustang that really pulled the rug out from under the Corvair. It was a new car for '65, and a very sophisticated one, but the Mustang just ate it alive, sales-wise.
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Jan 5 2015, 09:52 PM
Post #130

Member No.: 4,741

Peeps, thanks for the well wishes. As yet I'm still undecided about the long-term viability of all of this. My mind is in much better shape than my body so I stew and think and stew and think. Mostly I think that what I need is a Swedish bride and a suitcase full of money.

I spent a little time in the garage today and I forgot that I had assembled all of the parts necessary to upgrade my 1.7 liter engine to a 1911cc. That gives me something to work on when I'm able (and when the weather warms up). I'll work on that and make further attempts to get in contact with the missing machinist as time passes.

I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission.

-m.

+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Jan 5 2015, 09:56 PM
Post #131

Along with the Plymouth Barracuda. Sigh. Something like twelve Mustangs sold for every one Barracuda.

Although technically the fist generation of Mustangs were re-bodied '60-'62 Falcons. But you're right, the Corvair body was right out of the 50s and looked too vintage.

QUOTE(DarkMonohue @ Jan 5 2015, 07:39 PM) *

QUOTE(arkitect @ Jan 5 2015, 07:16 PM) *
Pretty cool history, too bad with the timing of Ralph Nader.
Nader had his say, but it was the timing of the Ford Mustang that really pulled the rug out from under the Corvair. It was a new car for '65, and a very sophisticated one, but the Mustang just ate it alive, sales-wise.

+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Jan 5 2015, 10:09 PM
Post #132

Dave, that's good info.

My view has always been that Nader actually was right to point out the things he pointed out, and much of it was true for many of the cars of that era and their appalling lack of safety. Eventually the government investigated his claims and found them to be no worse than other cars of the time, and many of the claims were debunked. But it all happened right as most manufacturers starting paying attention to safety anyway. And as DarkMonohue says, releasing new models of much more modern cars like the Mustang more befitting of the 1960s took the market.

In effect, Nader had an effect on sales but wasn't the straw man that he was made to be. My ears ache from all of the "Nader this" and "Nader that" bogeyman stuff you hear when dealing with the old Corvair gang. After 1964 all his complaints were rectified in the new model of Corvair in any event. I liken this to the Karmann Ghia - designed in the 1950s but looked too old in the late 60s. Hence it's replacement, the 914.

But from my small standpoint, and after reading Nader's book, nobody ever said anything bad about the engines. And that's the only part I care about.

QUOTE(arkitect @ Jan 5 2015, 06:16 PM) *

Marcus,
I hope things turn around for you. You are one heck of a meticulous engine builder.

I don't know that much about the corvair engine, just seen a rerun of Chasing Classic Cars about the Fitch Phoenix that John Fitch used a corvair powerplant. Pretty cool history, too bad with the timing of Ralph Nader.

Reality tends to get in the way of our dreams, but what would life be without them?

Dave
+Quote Post
messix
post Jan 5 2015, 10:12 PM
Post #133

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

new career?

become a politician !

you cant beat the work hours and the medical and pension.

and !!! no matter how bad you fuck it all up you still keep your job.... uh oh I just went there..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post Jan 5 2015, 10:15 PM
Post #134

Um, no thanks. I used to work in DC for the State Department. Political appointees were the worst. But you're right - it would be nice to have the job perks. But from my point of view every worker should have the same benefits those bastards do.

QUOTE(messix @ Jan 5 2015, 08:12 PM) *

new career?

become a politician !

you cant beat the work hours and the medical and pension.

and !!! no matter how bad you fuck it all up you still keep your job.... uh oh I just went there..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
messix
post Jan 5 2015, 10:16 PM
Post #135

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

and don't forget to enjoy same of the simple indulgences, like pine state biscuits and some salt and straw!
+Quote Post
DarkMonohue
post Jan 5 2015, 10:20 PM
Post #136

Member No.: 16,986

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Jan 5 2015, 08:56 PM) *
Along with the Plymouth Barracuda. Sigh. Something like twelve Mustangs sold for every one Barracuda.

Although technically the fist generation of Mustangs were re-bodied '60-'62 Falcons. But you're right, the Corvair body was right out of the 50s and looked too vintage.
There's no denying the 2nd-gen Corvair was far more sophisticated than the first-gen car, and much more modern-looking (timeless, even). The Mustang was a crude, simple car that looked fantastic and could be customized just about any way the buyer wanted. Americans largely didn't give a damn about driving dynamics anyway.

I don't think the poor little Baccaruda had nearly the options list the Ford did, either. Pity.

Anyway, sorry for the derailment. I came here as much for the Corvair content (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blush.gif) as the 914 stuff.

+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jan 5 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #137

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Just a quick question as I'm clueless- what year 'Cuda so I can drool some more?!
+Quote Post
Johnart
post May 14 2015, 05:48 PM
Post #138

914 Outlaws

Member No.: 14,955

I have 3 914's.....one daily driver and 2 parts cars.....about a year ago I bought a Corvair (reversed cam) with the idea I would someday put it into my "72 slope nose....just found this string today and am in awe of all of the expertise and experience......really looking forward to this project now.......I plan to replace the jugs with 94mm VW......3.1L sounds good.

Thanks all
+Quote Post
r3dplanet
post May 15 2015, 03:50 PM
Post #139

Johart,

I think you would be better off going for 3.0 liters of displacement instead of 3.1. The only difference is that the 3.0 liter engines will use 92mm pistons and cylinders instead of 94mm. I went with AA 92mm cylinders because the barrel thickness was excellent; much thicker than the 94mm cylinders I found.

My engine case and cylinders have been in the hands of a machine shop in SoCal for a year and a half now, and I wonder if I'll ever see them again.

Hopefully.

-marcus
+Quote Post
Johnart
post May 19 2015, 10:44 PM
Post #140

914 Outlaws

Member No.: 14,955

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ May 15 2015, 04:50 PM) *

Johart,

I think you would be better off going for 3.0 liters of displacement instead of 3.1. The only difference is that the 3.0 liter engines will use 94mm pistons and cylinders instead of 96mm. I went with AA 94mm cylinders because the barrel thickness was excellent; much thicker than the 96mm cylinders I found.

My engine case and cylinders have been in the hands of a machine shop in SoCal for a year and a half now, and I wonder if I'll ever see it again.

Hopefully.

-marcus

Thanks Marcus.....I think you are right......hope you get yours in and on the road soon.....no FUN waiting.
+Quote Post

17 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:37 PM