Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New to 914's, how much is this worth?
rick 918-S
post Jul 22 2013, 08:28 AM
Post #21

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I see you seem to have caught the 914 disease. That can be a good thing or a bad one depending on your ability to stay composed while shopping for your first car. Rust is the number one issue with these cars. Guys with good intensions have done all kinds of things over the years to hide it. The car your looking at has bonded quarter panels and bonded fibre glas rocker covers. So checking for rust will require a serious look by someone that knows what to look for and where to look.

If this car is sold take a look at the classifieds here. There are lots of cars here for sale. If the person listing the car has been a member here you can see how long they have been around and how many posts they have made. This should give you a little bit more confidence when entertaining a purchase. When buying a 914 buy the best car you can afford. You won't be sorry.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mblizzard
post Jul 22 2013, 09:05 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,438
Region Association: South East States

There ate too many things that don't add up on that car. Wide body on a 1.7? Wrong engine for the year? No rust? Owner only had it a few weeks and now has to sell it ? Shifting problems only require adjusent to fix?

Unless you have $5k to throw away (yes I know the price is $10k) I would not put a lot of effort in this one.
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jul 22 2013, 10:18 AM
Post #23

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 22 2013, 11:05 AM) *

There ate too many things that don't add up on that car. Wide body on a 1.7? Wrong engine for the year? No rust? Owner only had it a few weeks and now has to sell it ? Shifting problems only require adjusent to fix?

Unless you have $5k to throw away (yes I know the price is $10k) I would not put a lot of effort in this one.

Based on my experience, I would not even pay $5K for this car. I would be willing to bet that it's a rust bucket.
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Jul 22 2013, 01:32 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That diamond plate could be a cover-up. Red flag for sure. The flares and 1.7 engine in a '74 make no sense either. Don't feel bad if you miss on this one. There are more cars out there.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jul 24 2013, 08:47 AM
Post #25

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Talk to Brad at 914limited. He's a good guy that has lots of knowledge. I'm sure he can help show you what to look for.
+Quote Post
chadf7
post Jul 24 2013, 09:18 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 16,136
Region Association: None

Well the lowest he will take is 7k which for me, being 19 is too much to spend on a second car. He said he got alot of people offering 5k and he turned them all down
+Quote Post
green914
post Jul 24 2013, 09:58 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 12,874
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) looks like you already got your question answered. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
mrholland2
post Jul 24 2013, 10:10 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 13,531
Region Association: Central California

Browse the cars for sale here. I should've when I bought mine LOL

QUOTE(chadf7 @ Jul 24 2013, 08:18 AM) *

Well the lowest he will take is 7k which for me, being 19 is too much to spend on a second car. He said he got alot of people offering 5k and he turned them all down

+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jul 24 2013, 10:31 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351

Here is one for sale not too far from you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...r#ht_656wt_1021
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 24 2013, 03:39 PM
Post #30

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

First off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) . If you like these cars and haven't even driven one yet your screwed because the first time you get behind the wheel of one you will end up with a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) grin from ear to ear. + they are super on the hiway if'n you keep the OG FI. Carbs are a bit noisy on the hiway. The one your looking at reminds me of an old Country Western song where a shocked father tells his son upon meeting his son's "date", "Hell son, she ain't no debutant. She's a cocktail waitress!" Anyone that tells you one of these cars is rust free is #1-uninformed, #2-lieing, #3-hasn't looked hard enough or #4- has just completed a full "body off" rebuild with an experts help.
Do this: go online to auto trader and do a custom search w/ $5K as max amount and <100,000 miles. You will find a ton of cars that have a rebuilt engine but keep reading until you find one that is all OG. The car may be 15 years old but so what. Might have to change out all of the rubber hoses but other than that you should be set with a reliable transportation for the next few years. Once you have reliable transportation you can resume your search for a 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
LotusJoe
post Jul 24 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #31

Europa Twink Driver

Member No.: 11,085

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 24 2013, 02:39 PM) *

First off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) . If you like these cars and haven't even driven one yet your screwed because the first time you get behind the wheel of one you will end up with a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) grin from ear to ear. + they are super on the hiway if'n you keep the OG FI. Carbs are a bit noisy on the hiway. The one your looking at reminds me of an old Country Western song where a shocked father tells his son upon meeting his son's "date", "Hell son, she ain't no debutant. She's a cocktail waitress!" Anyone that tells you one of these cars is rust free is #1-uninformed, #2-lieing, #3-hasn't looked hard enough or #4- has just completed a full "body off" rebuild with an experts help.
Do this: go online to auto trader and do a custom search w/ $5K as max amount and <100,000 miles. You will find a ton of cars that have a rebuilt engine but keep reading until you find one that is all OG. The car may be 15 years old but so what. Might have to change out all of the rubber hoses but other than that you should be set with a reliable transportation for the next few years. Once you have reliable transportation you can resume your search for a 914. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Well I have a rust free unmolested car for sale in the classifieds. And I am informed, not lying, and have looked very hard from top to bottom. Occasionally a rust free car does come along. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Jul 24 2013, 06:41 PM
Post #32

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

A friend of my brother emailed me a couple of years ago to tell me that he bought a "mint" '74 1.8, and from the pictures it looked pretty good. When I finally got a chance to see it in person, it was a POS that cleaned up nicely for pictures. I think that he got lucky and was able to sell it for around the same $5k he paid for it, but it was probably closer to a $2k car.

Contact Brad. He most likely knows most of the cars in IL and which ones are for sale. With his help, you can save yourself a lot of money up front, and down the line.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 24 2013, 06:48 PM
Post #33

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(chadf7 @ Jul 24 2013, 08:18 AM) *

If 7k is to much, what is your budget?

You wont find a running solid car in your area for much less than that.. You might need to take your money and put it into something a bit cheaper that is still fun. Maybe an old 510 or Z car?
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jul 24 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #34

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 24 2013, 09:31 AM) *
Here is one for sale not too far from you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...r#ht_656wt_1021
Says: 70, noticed it has 'titted' front bumper (possibly from a '73/'74) and '75/'76 wheels.

On Jul-24-13 at 07:54:47 PDT, seller added the following information:

Insecure Wife says car must go. $12,390...All REASONABLE offers will be considered...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

[rant]
Why do so many people change the original paint to red on their P-cars? My '67 911 was originally a beautiful Bahama Yellow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) ... someone thought it would look good red? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
[/rant]
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 06:15 PM