Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My first 914 joys, woes, and discoveries., My newly acquired 914 saw pavement for the first time in four years
dvid3k
post Jul 29 2013, 04:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,146
Region Association: None

I'll be updating this post as I work and learn my way around my first 914.

I posted an introductory thread back when I joined, this is for my updates and observations. I've received quite a warm welcome and I've learned a lot from this forum already. I'm amazed at how helpful members are, I definitely appreciate any advice I have received thus far.

A week ago I purchased my first 914 project car (72 914 Chalon) and during the past week I've been getting it back up and running, a task that has involved a little blood, sweat and possibly a few tears. (thanks to a pry bar to the finger) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

The car had been sitting for several years, at least since 2009, possibly longer, several inches deep in mud it sat at the corner of a mechanics garage where it seemed to have been dropped off several years ago.

I installed a new fuel pump, replaced rubber lines, removed and cleaned out fuel tank, repaired the accelerator bracket, changed the oil cleaned up the floor under the seats. I've now got the car running and today I took it out on my road for a test drive to see what else needed attention.

So far I've found the following:

1. Tach does not work
2. Odometer does not work
3. Front suspension feels very loose and bouncy when going over bumps.
4. Throttle cable is a bit rough
5. Shifting will definitely take me a while to get used to, (tail shift)

I will be thrilled to get the car back in good working order, but I've got my work cut out for me. I washed it up once already but It'll take a few more washes to get 4 years of gunk off.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140871.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140872.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140872.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140872.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140872.5.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140872.6.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140872.7.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140873.8.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140873.9.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140873.10.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140873.11.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140873.12.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140873.13.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140874.14.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140874.15.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1340.photobucket.com-16146-1375140874.16.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dvid3k
post Jul 29 2013, 05:40 PM
Post #2

QUOTE(scotty boy @ Jul 29 2013, 06:57 PM) *

Its lovely to meet you too, I've added photos to the original post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Jul 29 2013, 05:45 PM
Post #3

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

Never seen 911 sc/carrera bumpers grafted onto a 914 before.

Congrats on the inaugural drive!
+Quote Post
dvid3k
post Jul 29 2013, 06:06 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(rwilner @ Jul 29 2013, 07:45 PM) *

Never seen 911 sc/carrera bumpers grafted onto a 914 before.

Congrats on the inaugural drive!

Thanks, the anticipation of getting out on the road and testing it out is how I ended up stabbing my finger, I was getting a little bit anxious to try it out. I'll admit it was a bit more frightening than I had hoped for, the front end seems very loose for some reason, if I hit a bump or pot hole it was all over the place. Once I get the tires replaced I think that'll help out a lot, getting used to the shifter won't hurt either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This car has the Mitcom Chalon body kit installed, I'm pretty torn on that part of it, I like the updated looks but I still think I prefer the classic 914 style, especially with a set of GT flares.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Jul 29 2013, 06:35 PM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(dvid3k @ Jul 29 2013, 03:54 PM) *

1. Tach does not work

1 - Could just be unplugged; could be a dead tach. (Could be unplugged because it's dead; one that's shorted out internally causes a no-spark condition.) Check for a black wire with a purple stripe (often faded to near invisibility) plugged into the (-) terminal on the coil.

2 - A known weakness in many Porsche mechanical speedometers. Pelican has a Tech Article on fixing it, and I'm pretty sure there's a post in the Classic Posts section on the process as well.

3 - Check the ball joints, bushings, and shocks. Often that sort of feeling is dead shocks.

4 - A new cable should be smoother, but before replacing the cable check the action of the pedal (detached from the cable) and the throttle body (also detached from the cable). Isolate where the roughness is.

5 - Check the Tech Article on Pelican about Tail-Shift Improvements. Lots of wear points and bushings in that system, plus at least one or two adjustment points.

--DD
+Quote Post
dvid3k
post Aug 2 2013, 07:45 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 29 2013, 08:35 PM) *

QUOTE(dvid3k @ Jul 29 2013, 03:54 PM) *

1. Tach does not work

1 - Could just be unplugged; could be a dead tach. (Could be unplugged because it's dead; one that's shorted out internally causes a no-spark condition.) Check for a black wire with a purple stripe (often faded to near invisibility) plugged into the (-) terminal on the coil.

2 - A known weakness in many Porsche mechanical speedometers. Pelican has a Tech Article on fixing it, and I'm pretty sure there's a post in the Classic Posts section on the process as well.

3 - Check the ball joints, bushings, and shocks. Often that sort of feeling is dead shocks.

4 - A new cable should be smoother, but before replacing the cable check the action of the pedal (detached from the cable) and the throttle body (also detached from the cable). Isolate where the roughness is.

5 - Check the Tech Article on Pelican about Tail-Shift Improvements. Lots of wear points and bushings in that system, plus at least one or two adjustment points.

--DD

Those are very helpful tips, I'm going to start working through each item one at a time, I had previously purchased a throttle cable so I'm going to go ahead and install it, but I've already made a big improvement on the throttle response by just tightening up a loose linkage one of the carbs. It was much more responsive and much easier to move without stalling. Unfortunately, the accelerator pedal broke before I could really take it out and test the improved response.

I've started to formulate my long term plan for this car which will involve removal of the Chalon kit and it will be replaced with fiberglass GT quarters and fenders. It will be a pretty big task but the car needs a good deal of body work due to the kit not being installed that well from the start so I may just take advantage of that and swap it out completely. Though for now its just a though floating around in my head, my primary goal is just getting it in road worthy condition.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Aug 2 2013, 08:22 AM
Post #7

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Good job. Another one saved from the jaws of a crusher.
+Quote Post
dvid3k
post Aug 2 2013, 08:43 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 2 2013, 10:22 AM) *

Good job. Another one saved from the jaws of a crusher.

Thanks! If this car would have sat for a whole lot longer that would have probably been the end result. It wasn't even being advertised, it just happened that a coworker saw it and inquired about it. I estimate the previous owner spent at least 3500 or 4000 on it while he owned it possibly more, I really don't know why he ended up letting it sit at the a local garage like he did. I was told he has a bunch of extra parts so I may have to get in touch with him and see what he has.

I know where this another 914 sitting along the side of the road and it just kills me to see it sit there and rot. I went on a little GoogleEarth drive and found it. Attached Image
+Quote Post
dvid3k
post Aug 13 2013, 06:17 PM
Post #9

I've been busy and haven't had much time to work on my car the past few weeks but I have had some other related developments come up. At the time I purchased this car it was located at a garage and I did the transaction through the garage owner and not the actual owner of the car, it was just being stored at the garage.

After talking with the original owner of the car I got a little better back story of the car and how it ended up where it was. It turns out he had approximately 6k invested in the car overall and he hadn't the motivation to continue the project. He had engine issues that resulted in installing the new engine but he still had some driveability issues after the swap and just threw in the towel and moved on. So the engine had probably no more than 50 miles on it after the install.

He also has a truckload of random parts that he had acquired with the original purchase of the car in 2004 and some that he had bought himself. I checked out what he had today but I'm still on the fence about purchasing them as he is asking 500.00

While sifting through the parts which consisted of about five or six large totes of items here are a few things I saw:

1. Original breather assembly
2. what looked like most of the fuel injection parts that came off the car during the carb swap
3. Set of old rear shocks with springs
4. set of tan seats in moderate condition
5. dash board heater box assembly
6. vintage stereo
7. engine cover with emblems
8. pedal cluster
9. sun visors
10. misc electronic ignition parts
11. k&n breather assemblies

That was just what I could remember off the top of my head, he had a Chevrolet S-10 filled with plastic totes full of random bits and pieces. I wish I would have taken photos so I could digitally sift through the parts after I got home. I'm just having a hard time deciding on purchasing these items, I am a parts junkie, I'd almost be happy with the thrill of sorting through everything to see what goodies I could find but I'd like to get this car on the road before Autumn sets in so I can get out and enjoy some time behind the wheel on some of the WV back roads. There wasn't too much included in the lot to help me accomplish that goal but there were tons of spares that could be useful in the future. I'm such a terrible decision maker.

+Quote Post
Porschef
post Aug 13 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #10

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

Wow, a self described parts junkie...make an offer. One your comfortable with.
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Aug 13 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #11

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

get a new gas peddle.

look for rust under battery tray and under that.

all the best!

jim

+Quote Post
dvid3k
post Aug 14 2013, 09:22 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 13 2013, 08:23 PM) *

Wow, a self described parts junkie...make an offer. One your comfortable with.

I'm going to let him hang on to them for a while, I know he doesn't want to go through the trouble of selling them himself and I'm pretty sure he will have a hard time getting another buyer in this area. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'll give him some time, as much as I love digging through boxes of old spares, truthfully there isn't anything there that I really need. Just more stuff to take up space and have to resell later.
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Aug 13 2013, 08:27 PM) *

get a new gas peddle.

look for rust under battery tray and under that.

all the best!

jim

Gas pedal, tires, brakes, carb rebuild kits and fixing whatever is going on in the front end will be my primary objectives. I just want to get this car on the road before fall so I can have a little time to enjoy it before cold weather hits.
+Quote Post
dvid3k
post Aug 14 2013, 06:33 PM
Post #13

Today I got my seat hinges on the drivers side somewhat working again, installed the new throttle cable and started cleaning up the interior panels and carpet to get somethings put back together, while I was under the car I found this:

I'm starting to feel a little bad for the man who originally owned this car, he hired out all his mechanic work and he had been having problems with the car hesitating or something similar, he tried all sorts of things to repair the problem such as rebuilding the engine, mid process the engine re-builder got divorced and quit working on the car which resulted in the new engine being installed. He then replaced the carbs and who knows what else trying to solve the issues the car had and I think all along the problem may have been in this old filter I found under the car in the stock fuel pump location. I'm really starting to wonder how he choose his mechanics. Something tells me this may have caused some issues. Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Aug 14 2013, 07:06 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Nice work so far. I kinda like it how it is...it has a really cool '80's vibe. Those wheels look like American Racing mags (even though it looks like the center caps might say EMPI). The dual exhausts are cool too. Changing it back to a stock 914 would be a TON of work. You might want to keep it as is...fiberglass is easier to fix than steel for sure. Good luck getting it back on the road! We're all rooting for you.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Aug 14 2013, 07:20 PM
Post #15

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

Cool
+Quote Post
3d914
post Aug 14 2013, 07:42 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,191
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 14 2013, 06:06 PM) *

Nice work so far. I kinda like it how it is...it has a really cool '80's vibe. Those wheels look like American Racing mags (even though it looks like the center caps might say EMPI). The dual exhausts are cool too. Changing it back to a stock 914 would be a TON of work. You might want to keep it as is...fiberglass is easier to fix than steel for sure. Good luck getting it back on the road! We're all rooting for you.

Ditto! A well done Chalon kit looks good on the 914. Compared to others I've seen - that body's in pretty good shape. The rest is just dressing.
Good luck.
+Quote Post
dvid3k
post Aug 14 2013, 08:00 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Aug 14 2013, 09:06 PM) *

Thanks, I've got a long road ahead of me but I enjoy a challenge. The wheels are 15" Panasports, at least according to the center caps.

My mind will probably change back and forth ten times before I decided to leave the Chalon kit alone, I go through phases with every car I get where I imagine my perfect incarnation of how I would want it to look, most never come to fruition so I'll probably end up leaving it as is.
I don't mind the Chalon kit all that much but in the long term I'm probably going to have to pull the kit off to clean everything up, there is rust forming in various places where the fiberglass is attached.
If it is ever going to have a paint job I can't see a way around it if I want the paint job to last. I'm thinking when that time comes I may switch the panels over to the full fiberglass GT quarters and fenders, but again that is way off in the future, the goal for the moment is just to get her back on the road again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I can be happy for now that from now on this car won't be sitting out in the weather decaying.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 14 2013, 08:07 PM
Post #18

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Shalom
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Aug 14 2013, 08:07 PM
Post #19

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

The list of parts the guy has does not sound real useful.

Converting back to working, stock FI is a good idea unless fiddling with carbs for a long time is something you want to do.

I think your priority in order should be good tires, front shocks, turbo tie rods, and front ball joints. If your rear shocks are not working then I would do those too. These are important safety items. I am assuming your brakes are in good shape otherwise I would check your brake pad thickness and replace your flexible brake hoses.

Then your car will handle so well you will understand why people love these cars.

You don't need a big engine to really enjoy a 914 but good suspension is what makes the car.

I think your kit looks pretty good for an aftermarket body kit.

John
+Quote Post
dvid3k
post Aug 14 2013, 08:21 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Aug 14 2013, 10:07 PM) *

The list of parts the guy has does not sound real useful.

Converting back to working, stock FI is a good idea unless fiddling with carbs for a long time is something you want to do.

I think your priority in order should be good tires, front shocks, turbo tie rods, and front ball joints. If your rear shocks are not working then I would do those too. These are important safety items. I am assuming your brakes are in good shape otherwise I would check your brake pad thickness and replace your flexible brake hoses.

Then your car will handle so well you will understand why people love these cars.

You don't need a big engine to really enjoy a 914 but good suspension is what makes the car.

I think your kit looks pretty good for an aftermarket body kit.

John

Thanks for the advice! I can't wait to get everything sorted and really see how it handles. I've only had it on my lane and so far it is somewhat of a scary ride, hitting any kind of bump throws the front wheels all over the place, at least it seems that way.

The brakes will really need a good revamping, I can tell the hoses are dried up and some of what I have seen of the metal lines aren't looking too hot. The rear shocks and springs are new and I've been told the struts are new but I'm guessing concealed by the housing so I can't see them, the parts list I had showed the fronts had been replaced with Boge. Can you see the strut cartridge or is it completely inside of the strut housing?

About the only thing that I want from the parts he had was the original fuel injection items, he talked it up like he had all these new items he had bought for the car but I only saw one new seal, everything else looked as if it came from a parts car. I'll let him hang on to them for a while and see what happens, he claimed he was going to put them on eBay but I doubt I'll be seeing them anytime soon. Nothing he had would help me get the car on the road, mostly just stuff to take up space just in case I might need it some day.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:06 AM