Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I've been cuttin' some more, rear end is just about gone
Mike T
post Dec 8 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #41

can't 'member

Group: Members
Member No.: 161

J. P.: It actually does handle pretty well if a bit ponderous. I can feel the extra weight of the V8 over the V6 even as I could feel the V6 added poundage over the 4 cyl. It's a bit more sluggish than I like but I think there is enough weight still in the car that, once removed, I can get it working well again. I still have steel doors and decklids... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

The 2.8 was a very good engine. Light weight and the way I had it built it made good power. The car weighed 2140lbs with driver and when launched in 2nd gear reached 7200rpm in Just under 6 seconds.
It was an early '80's block with stock bore and stroke. a Crower solid lifter cam of .485" lift and 225° @ .050 duration with 112° lobe center. I had a ported Edelbrock TorkerII intake manifold, a 390cfm holley 4bbl w/vacuum secondaries and modified S-10 pickup headers. basically that's it. Made 175 hp. Maybe a bit more. There isn't much in the way of speed equipment for the 2.8 but there is enough to make a decent motor.
I used a KEP adapter and 200mm 2700lb clutch. The 2.8 has a wretched reputation with most people but I never had a bit of trouble with any of the 60° V6's I've owned especially this one.

The current engine is a temporary powerplant so I could just get out on track this year. It's a mid 1980's 305 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) with cast iron heads, a 4bbl and an unknown cam that I had under my bench slated for use in another project. I stuck it in the 914 just to get some autocross time again.
I started building an engine 2 years ago but tragedy struck when I lost my job in October of 2002. The engine project got tabled and the 914 lived on jackstands under a tarp in the garage for almost a year. I kept hope by reading this forum and researching the V8 swap. I've been working now since July of 2003 and started working on the car again in early summer. I used a lot of ideas and advice from here to build the car. I got back on track in July. I ran 8 events and garnered 4 FTD's which was nice but more importantly by the end of the season I got the car somewhat tuned in and actually got what I would consider a few fairly fast runs in.

The new engine is a rev happy 283 .030" over with aluminum heads. That will be in the car for next season. The current 305 is maybe 250hp and is wound tight at 5500rpm. I figure the 283 will be good for 7K easy if I want. The aluminum heads will take high weight off the engine where it needs to be taken off.

I'm looking forward to next season.

Mike T
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Dec 8 2004, 08:44 PM
Post #42

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I've been doing a little research, what do you think of these options

1. GM Quad 4: DOHC, all aluminum (light wt.), 190 HP stock. Friend down the street said he had one in his street car and it ran very strong. I would think a few easy mods would get up to 225-240 HP easy.

2. Chevy Vortex 4.3: Heavier than the Q4, cheap and parts everywhere, any one know the HP rating? Ebay has several low mile ones for less than $1000

Both would be avaible at a local yard, all the hop up parts are as close as the Summit website. I am not looking for 400 HP 'cause I'd need more tires and a new tranny.
200-250 HP in a 1400 pound car will be all the fun I need. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Give me some feed back.

Paul
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 8 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #43

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

SHO 24V 6
+Quote Post
URY914
post Dec 8 2004, 09:34 PM
Post #44

****************************************************************************************************

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 8 2004, 07:16 PM)
SHO 24V 6

Cost and HP?
+Quote Post
Mike T
post Dec 8 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #45

can't 'member

I always stuck with the carburator because I wasn't sure I could make an FI engine work in a swap. I think the quad4 is used in off road racing.

The 4.3 came in 150hp to 205hp depending on year of engine. Pretty heavy and the long stroke would be tough on the transaxle.

The final years of the SHO came with a 3.4L 60° V8. I kid you not. Now that would be cool...

Mike T

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike T
post Dec 8 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #46

can't 'member

If you want to research engine cost and availability go to :

http://www.car-part.com

It's fun to play around with.

Mike T
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Dec 9 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Paul
I got all ya'll beat 250Hp for 250-300$. You can find the Lexus engine for cheap. i probably weighs less than than the 4.3 and has better potential. If you get the factory computer and all you should be able to get the whole thing running with it.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 9 2004, 12:19 AM
Post #48

PMB Performance

SHO 24V 6

Cost and HP?

Cost? Beats me... they were $3k on a pallet brand new back in 89. Probably get a deal now-a-days from a yard.

HP - 220hp stock with plenty of goodies available to make close to 300hp.

Dual Plenum (short/long) runners with secondaries actuated by vacumm over 4k (can be modded/chipped for lower figure) 60deg. V6. Water jacket cooled. 24V Yamaha motor. Smooth as silk. Even powerband. Ripping ass engine that Ford basically used to explore multi-valve technology with. Top end is basically Yamaha V-Max technology.

My SHO was a 14 sec. 4-door sedan in stock config. (back in 89!)

Here's a pic.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 9 2004, 12:24 AM
Post #49

PMB Performance

nudder

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 9 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #50

PMB Performance

Here's one tucked away in a hotrod... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Dec 9 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

That SHO engine is an awesome engine. Heard it could rev to 10K in stock form if it weren't for the accesories. Yamaha did a great job on that engine. I would love to play with one of those in something small and light. How about a Lotus 7 chassis with one in it.
+Quote Post
MJHanna
post Dec 9 2004, 07:23 AM
Post #52

Does this 911 make my butt look big?

Member No.: 185

Look at the North Star engines a lot of dune buggies are running them, all aluminum, high output……
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 9 2004, 07:48 AM
Post #53

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

There was a short lived "supercar" based on the SHO engine. It was a Ford Festiva with the Tarus SHO drivetrain mounted in the rear of the car. Ford it it for Rally and hillclimb, and had to build an bunch as street cars to meet the rules. Scary fast car. Didn't handle too well, though.
+Quote Post
machina
post Dec 9 2004, 08:16 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 8 2004, 09:44 PM)

200-250 HP in a 1400 pound car will be all the fun I need. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Give me some feed back.

Paul,

Can you get it that light with one of these bigger motors?

Even with an aluminum 6 you still have to add radiator, plumbing, etc.

I think you'll be above 1500 even if you keep cutting sheetmetal unless you go to a rotary or keep the TIV.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Dec 9 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #55

QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Dec 9 2004, 06:16 AM)
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 8 2004, 09:44 PM)

Give me some feed back.

Paul,

Can you get it that light with one of these bigger motors?

Even with an aluminum 6 you still have to add radiator, plumbing, etc.

I think you'll be above 1500 even if you keep cutting sheetmetal unless you go to a rotary or keep the TIV.

Dave,

I was saying the car now would be 1400 but probably more like 1200 w/o engine.

I agree with Tim that the FI may be a problem on a oddball engine swap. Once you start messing with a late model FI engine you'll need to sort out the wire harness and the rest of the pieces. A SHO or Lexis would be more high tech than my low tech car.
The words "simple swap" really don't apply with these.

Let me watch Larry and his 928 swap. Maybe thats the way to go to keep it all in the P-car family. How many 914/928 engined semi-tube frame autox cars are out there? Think they'd let me run it at PCA Parade? I'd be run out of the club if I showed up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 9 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #56

PMB Performance

That SHO engine is an awesome engine. Heard it could rev to 10K in stock form if it weren't for the accesories. Yamaha did a great job on that engine. I would love to play with one of those in something small and light. How about a Lotus 7 chassis with one in it.

Yeah... it was a 10k motor. When they tested them they ran it for something like a week straight at 9k. It was rev limited for the accessories. I've always thought it would make the "perfect" 914 conversion motor.

At the very first SHO convention in Peoria there was a guy who had one in some Ferrari looking mid-engine thing with a 914 tranny.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Dec 9 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #57

PMB Performance

There was a short lived "supercar" based on the SHO engine. It was a Ford Festiva with the Tarus SHO drivetrain mounted in the rear of the car. Ford it it for Rally and hillclimb, and had to build an bunch as street cars to meet the rules. Scary fast car. Didn't handle too well, though.

Yup. Leno has one. Fiesta under glass with huge rear flares ala. the Renault's.
+Quote Post
SteveSr
post Dec 9 2004, 09:49 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 1,223

Awsome Paul. MY GOD, the whole back of the car is gone!!!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
All aluminum V6..........IMO..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

SteveSr
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Dec 9 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #59

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

I'm pretty sure the SHO Festiva was made by Chuck Beck, of 550 Beck Spyder fame. No official involvement from Ford. They never got it as sorted as they'd like, mostly because of difficulties in getting the fwd suspension working on the back (just moved the whole thing: engine, transaxle, axles, uprights, brakes, etc. from front to back). It made some magazine appearances as the SHOgun, and perhaps they even sold a few, but it was never a hot sales item.

Perhaps Ford did their own project, though I'd expect it was done by Ford UK, not Ford US. Hillclimbs have never been the thing here they are over there, nor has rallying.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Dec 9 2004, 12:16 PM
Post #60

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

QUOTE(lapuwali @ Dec 9 2004, 10:02 AM)
I'm pretty sure the SHO Festiva was made by Chuck Beck, of 550 Beck Spyder fame. No official involvement from Ford. They never got it as sorted as they'd like, mostly because of difficulties in getting the fwd suspension working on the back (just moved the whole thing: engine, transaxle, axles, uprights, brakes, etc. from front to back). It made some magazine appearances as the SHOgun, and perhaps they even sold a few, but it was never a hot sales item.

Perhaps Ford did their own project, though I'd expect it was done by Ford UK, not Ford US. Hillclimbs have never been the thing here they are over there, nor has rallying.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I remember this as all of the car mags had articles about it. Neat idea, sort of a copy of the mid-engined Renault R5 turbo but not quite as sophisticated.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 11:50 PM