Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> About to get started, Going to re-build from ground up
jwalters
post Dec 7 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #21

Sooo Close.......

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) POWER!!!!! UNGH,,UNGH,,,UNGHHHHHHHHHHH (KNUCKLES SCRAPING THE FLOOR)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 7 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #22

Sooo Close.......

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) TWISTIES HERE I COME!!!!......UNGHHHHHHH (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 7 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #23

Sooo Close.......

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) UNGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 7 2004, 01:54 PM
Post #24

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Methinks I see a case of DWD coming on.....

Step away from the 914 and you won't suffer like I have............. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 7 2004, 02:04 PM
Post #25

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 7 2004, 10:42 AM)
So I am also designing an oil cooler mount made of sandwich composite that will be place on the rear trunk top--going to be radical!!

not too sure I understand that one...you are going to mount the cooler on top of the rear trunk lid???

not too sure how well the air flows over the rear trunk lid...someone posted pictures of a 914 in a windtunnel, might have to search for it now....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THOSE PICS!!!! Could show some good data on how well the engine is able to breath and cool itself!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 7 2004, 02:05 PM
Post #26

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Wow...

wow, wow, wow,
nice work.
nice pictures...

just my opinions:
do some research on oil cooler placement. If that turbo is pounding out the HP, its gonna need some heat management too and lots of people have been there and tried everything in regards to oil cooler placement. You'll get MUCH better oil temp efficiency with a front cooler.

I have the kit on my trailing arms. I have been told by people I trust to definitely use the kit on a race car. But people that replied are right... your not feeling your arms flex in a street environment. I don't think you can feel them flex in a race environment... Probably your bushings or something else.. I'm not saying to ditch the kit, I'm just saying to do all of it (bushings) while your there....

Nice work.
keep it up
brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 7 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #27

Sooo Close.......

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) You and I should go for a ride in south florida sometime---with me driving-----I will show you what rear arm flexion is all about!!!!! ughhhhhhhh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 7 2004, 02:20 PM
Post #28

Sooo Close.......

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

Also, for all those wondering about me--let me do a full introduction--

I am Jonathan Walters, lived everywhere and from nowhere--I was brought up as anavy brat, only to follow and join the navy. Well that gig blew---boy did it blow! So I got out and went to work as a federal contractor with the navy!! I was a support technician for advanced naval pilot training--been on every carrier the navy has, ( and some they no-longer have)

Now I am in the Coast Guard--I love it!! I am an Falcon jet technician and aircrew o the same plane ( HU-25D Gaurdian falcon jet).

I have obtained my FAA airframe and powerplant license with no restrictions--I am qualified to to whatever needs to be done to any aircraft in the world.

I have also obtained my pilots license and enjoy to serenity of the birds with aplomb---In fact my project after building this bad boy is I have designed from the ground up my own little fighter plane--guess what it will be powered with???? huh...anybody???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

So in a nutshell, while I have been in the military and living on a military pay I have always had second jobs---these would have been in the automotive scene.

While I am new to the type IV engine and its idiosyncracies--I will prevail upon it my wrath of mo'power....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

But the single most valuable contribution I can make is from my exhaustive experience with airframes and turbine engines--it is all about the airflow--so when I make a claim about doing something no-one else has--it is from this knowledge that I can do so...get ready my fellow 914philes---you WILL see a drop-in turbo setup very soon, and keep ALL of your trunk spaces!!!! Feel free to ask questions, I invite it!!!

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 7 2004, 02:28 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Looks like you got your picture problem solved. I found the easiest way to resize pictures was to use a photo editor like this one that you can download for free: My Webpage

Once the editor is downloaded you can re-size your digital pictures easily.

Of course you have to get the pictures into your computer which can be fun the first time you try.

Feel free to ask questions, I invite it!!!

OK, so what is the basic setup? Give us some tidbits on how it will work/look.
+Quote Post
mikerose
post Dec 7 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #30

Happy to be back

Member No.: 60
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jwalters @ Dec 7 2004, 12:20 PM)
...get ready my fellow 914philes---you WILL see a drop-in turbo setup very soon, and keep ALL of your trunk spaces!!!! Feel free to ask questions, I invite it!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) And all for under 500.00 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 7 2004, 04:27 PM
Post #31

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

225hp is a lot..
I have not built a turbo so my opinion means dirt...
but wouldn't doubling a stock 1.8 output be pretty good for a street motor?

brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 8 2004, 09:17 AM
Post #32

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE(brant @ Dec 7 2004, 02:27 PM)
225hp is a lot..
I have not built a turbo so my opinion means dirt...
but wouldn't doubling a stock 1.8 output be pretty good for a street motor?

brant

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) You hit the nail on the head with that one Brant!!!

Just look at the new lotus elise--190 hp, midengined, 4 wheel independant sus, 4 wheel disc brakes...come to think of it--THAT CAR IS ALMOST A RIPOFF OF A 30+ YEAR OLD 914!!!!!

It is all about balance---this is how Porsche won so many checkereds!!! They were almost always down on power to the competition--but they handled and had BALANCE!

So that is why I am doing this endeavor,, to keep the balance--no cooling units of any kind are taking up any space in either of my trunks!

And my engine will be open to work on and tune--it will not be cobbled up with piping!!
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 8 2004, 09:35 AM
Post #33

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 7 2004, 12:28 PM)
Looks like you got your picture problem solved. I found the easiest way to resize pictures was to use a photo editor like this one that you can download for free: My Webpage

Once the editor is downloaded you can re-size your digital pictures easily.

Of course you have to get the pictures into your computer which can be fun the first time you try.

Feel free to ask questions, I invite it!!!

OK, so what is the basic setup? Give us some tidbits on how it will work/look.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Well, picture how a fellow did his turbo setup recently--he ran the pipes from the collector back to the left side of the engine where he mounted the turbo---9+ feet of pipe is not the way to go for a truely hi-po setup--but that gentleman did a fine job and goes to show just how badly people want to turbo!!!

My turbo set up will be in the same location--I am completely remaking the aft engine bulkhead out of 060 aluminum with some more setback, the compressor will be mounted on the engine compartment side to segregate the hot section from the engine compartment.

That much is dead simple--the trick is designing an exhaust that maintains a high level of "Velocity", flow is important--but in a turbo setup velocity is the key element.

You see, there are only two types of turbine blades made: Impact, and Reaction. In a turbo, 90% of the blade shape is impact, which translates into velocity--you could push 1000 cfm thru that turbine at low velocity and nothing will happen---push 300 cfm thru it approaching the speed of sound and things get very powerful indeed

So in my exhaust I have to apply aerospace know-how to keep the velocity high and unemcumbered---remember, all turbos were born out of aircraft turbine engines--that is what they are--they just do not burn fuel inside them.

The next trick is getting that compressed air to the intake valves--the plenum I have cooking up will NEGATE any need for ANY type of aftercooler. Thru careful design using a series of ducts called : " Divergent and Convergent" These ducts, sized and shaped properly inside the plenum will momentarily decrease the pressure , ( which has a strong cooling component, and then recapture the flow and return it to pressure) this is also a big trick and is not to be taken lightly. But look at any turbine engine inlet on any aircraft and you will see this very theory at work. The inner edge of the inlet is SMALLER than the fan itself--were it not for this--the engine would not work due to supersonic flow seperation.

So, In a nutshell---This setup will be the most high tech piece of sheet metal out there---amd you will still be able to change your plugs w/o removing any of the intake components, and you will be able to adjust your valves , change the oil, etc. w/o taking off the exhaust.

JW
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Dec 8 2004, 11:23 AM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 3

QUOTE(jwalters @ Dec 7 2004, 10:08 PM)
with me driving-----I will show you what rear arm flexion is all about

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

the powdercoated parts look nice, but why didn't you weld the swaybar u-tabs to the a-arms?
+Quote Post
jwalters
post Dec 8 2004, 11:39 AM
Post #35

Sooo Close.......

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Dec 8 2004, 09:23 AM)
QUOTE(jwalters @ Dec 7 2004, 10:08 PM)
with me driving-----I will show you what rear arm flexion is all about

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

the powdercoated parts look nice, but why didn't you weld the swaybar u-tabs to the a-arms?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) Thanks for the cool remark--but get this--they are NOT powdercoated!!!!

It is a new type of spray paint--3 stage-called "anodized look"

It starts with an adhesion promoter--then the base coat, this coat is a brilliant silver metallic finish (also good enough to be the top coat!!) then the color coat goes on--the color coat is absolutley striking--even the pics here do not show the brilliance.

It is transparent-yet colored--gives the true visualization of depth,,the metallic coat looks as if it is under colored water--I am sold on this stuff.

OH, by the way, the brand name is Dupli-color and I got mine from DAPS

If you use is---you must shake the ever loving crap out of the color can / or else it will spatter and have coloring distortions.

I sent a letter to the company requesting this stuff in quart cans to be professionally sprayed--I am going to do my entire car with it>

The reason why I did not weld them is this way, I can shim under the mount for proper pre-load w/o having to shell out 100+ bucks for the turnbuckle ones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 02:24 PM