Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Met a local Teener today I didn't know existed. Has a six no less, Classic 914 story here
JRust
post Aug 7 2013, 08:50 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Okay here it goes. I get this request on facebook from a guy. Didn't know him but figured he was a 914 guy so I accepted it. Eric from PMB was doing his calipers & mentioned me. With us being in the same area that was great. So he says he'd like to come over & talk cars sometime. I gladly oblige as I can never get enough of it. Plus finding another local 914 guy is exciting. So he comes over tonight & here is the story.

His name is Jim & he has an early 6. I think he said it was 118th one built. We talk for a few minutes about his car. He'd just taken it out after a few years of not driving. Stored inside & he'd start it every once in a while. Anyway he get's it out & the pads are all pretty much locked up on him. So he get's a tip about Eric. Who then mentioned me which is how this all started. So then I walk him around my shop & show him my corvair 914. We talk about it a bit. Then I take him up to my garage to show him my v8 conversion with GT flares. I tell him the story on it about buying a 6 conversion that had burned. I had taken the suspension off of it & put it on my LS1 conversion. At mentioning that burned 6. I started talking about what got me into 914's. When I was a kid I had paper route's. I had this one route in Corvallis on Park St. I tell him this guy had 2 914's. I'd stop & droll over them every morning they were out. The guy didn't get papers so I couldn't sneak up into his driveway to look at them. I tell him the black one was the one that got me. Started my love of 914's. I'm telling him this in a bit of a remembering trance. I snap out of it a bit & notice he's got this big shit eatin grin on his face. He says to me those were mine. I lived on Park St in the 80's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Unflipping believable but they were his 914's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shocked[1].gif) . I can't stop smiling. I can't believe 25-30 years later. The black 914-6 that got me to fall in love with 914's is still in town & I finally met the guy who owns it. I tell you what if there was ever an original 6 I need to own. It is that car. He says he'll never sell it. So I said well put in your will if your family ever does. I am the first person they will call.

So there is the story. I seriously can't believe it. this almost mythical 914 from my youth that started this crazy obsession of mine. Is sort of back in my life again. I can't wait to go over & see it again. He said once he get's his calipers on. then gives it a bath I can come over & be reunited (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) . Seriously one of my top 10 914 days ever. I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) that 914-6
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Aug 7 2013, 09:06 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

Awesome story, I've often thought of the first 914 that got me hooked, my friends dad in highschool had one, let us drive it all over Sacramento, until my friends brother totaled it in Lake Tahoe. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) that was early 1975. All I remember about it was it was white, and the funnest (is that a word) car I'd ever driven, and swore I'd have one some day.

Didn't drive another one till a couple of years ago when I went to buy my white car from MichaelN, he let me drive his six, thanks again Michael.

Now I've owned 4, and who knows how many in the future.

Funny how things work out, awesome you'll get to see your "dream 914" again.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Aug 7 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #3

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Here's another story.

Bought my first 914 in '83 while I still had my driver's license permit. Driving around NJ one day, a guy in a pickup truck turns into me and caves in the door. Heard about a guy in Delaware with a bunch of 914 parts. Drive down and see my first flared six. Navy blue, low to the ground and making an amazing sound with a carbed engine. Awesome.

Fast forward ~27 years later I run into a familiar looking guy looking at my 914 in the parking lot of the acme. Yes, same guy from years ago, still into Porsche and lives a couple miles from me in PA. He said he sold the 914-6 shortly after building it and always regretted selling the car. I told him I would take him for a ride when I finish my car.
+Quote Post
shoguneagle
post Aug 7 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #4

shoguneagle

Member No.: 84

Great history lesson and story regarding the 914s. Really does give meaning to having one.

My first was falling in love with one in a junk yard about 25plus years ago. Got it; rebuilt it into a Chev (Rod Simpson and early Renegade kits/information) v8; handled like a early Corvette; sat in the garage for 15 years with 300 miles on it; current parts being used in my present 914-sizer which I got as a roller from a very, very good friend who had cancer. These cars have a lot of meaning to me for various reasons.

Keep the faith and maybe someday!!!!

Thanks, Jaime

Steve
+Quote Post
Mr.242
post Aug 7 2013, 10:59 PM
Post #5

May your glass be smaller so it's always FULL!

Member No.: 9,160

Cool Stories. I can't wait to see the black 914-6. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 7 2013, 11:34 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Aug 7 2013, 09:59 PM) *

Cool Stories. I can't wait to see the black 914-6. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

It was originally silver. He had it painted
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Aug 7 2013, 11:39 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

And of course you didn't take ANY pictures, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Aug 8 2013, 05:00 AM
Post #8

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

You planted that seed and its going to happen faster than you think. That guy is dwelling on it as I write this. Better get your funds together! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
green914
post Aug 8 2013, 09:18 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,874

Great stories, thanks for sharing them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
greenie
post Aug 8 2013, 09:52 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,013

Great story Jamie, who knows you may own this car one day.

I use to drool over a maroon 1963 split window Vette that was in the neighborhood (also Orygun) when I was a kid, so keep your eyes open for me!

+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 22 2014, 01:59 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Went over last night with another local teener to check out the six. Damn I still want that car. It may even come up for sale in the coming year. With the value's on them going so insane. I seriously doubt I'll be able to swing it. Who knows though maybe I will get the serious buddy deal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) . Really is a good solid six. It does have the original case but was punched out to a 2.5. Also has a built side shift box for autoX. Sheel seats with the rayco center console ( I think rayco but maybe that isn't right). It's the plastic one with the higher arm rest.

This car is about the only one I might consider selling my suby to buy. Still not sure I would but that fact I'd even consider it says something. I've never had a six (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . While I love my suby & conversions in general. There really is nothing better than that rumble from a six. Just so distinct & kick ass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) . Anyway hoping he doesn't decide to sell for a while. He calls me tomorrow & I'm hosed
+Quote Post
blackmoon
post Oct 22 2014, 02:18 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 9,106
Region Association: None

Great Story
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:24 PM